Velocity Reviews

-   -   What is the equivalent Hex ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t548719-what-is-the-equivalent-hex.html)

Reshma 11-01-2007 07:24 PM

What is the equivalent Hex ?

Hello:

I am new to HTML and CSS. I came across this block of code, .link{
color:#269;
display:block;
margin:4px 0 0 0;
padding:2px 1em;
}

I am wondering what is the equivalent hex code for the color:#269 in
the above.

Thanks

Harlan Messinger 11-01-2007 07:33 PM

Re: What is the equivalent Hex ?

Reshma wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am new to HTML and CSS. I came across this block of code, .link{
> color:#269;
> display:block;
> margin:4px 0 0 0;
> padding:2px 1em;
> }
>
> I am wondering what is the equivalent hex code for the color:#269 in
> the above.

A three-digit RGB code #xyz is shorthand for a six-digit hex code
#xxyyzz. So, #226699.

Animesh K 11-01-2007 07:47 PM

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> Reshma wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I am new to HTML and CSS. I came across this block of code, .link{
>> color:#269;
>> display:block;
>> margin:4px 0 0 0;
>> padding:2px 1em;
>> }
>>
>> I am wondering what is the equivalent hex code for the color:#269 in
>> the above.

> A three-digit RGB code #xyz is shorthand for a six-digit hex code
> #xxyyzz. So, #226699.

Correct. Also, you can use common colors by name (typically helps in
visualizing better).

For example:

"color: black;" or "color: white;" are valid CSS properties. Modern
browsers support more such named-colors than what is officially endorsed
by W3C.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#color-units

Have fun,
Animesh

Reshma 11-01-2007 08:32 PM

Re: What is the equivalent Hex ?

On Nov 2, 12:33 am, Harlan Messinger
<hmessinger.removet...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Reshma wrote:
> > Hello:

> > I am new to HTML and CSS. I came across this block of code, .link{
> > color:#269;
> > display:block;
> > margin:4px 0 0 0;
> > padding:2px 1em;
> > }

> > I am wondering what is the equivalent hex code for the color:#269 in
> > the above.

> A three-digit RGB code #xyz is shorthand for a six-digit hex code
> #xxyyzz. So, #226699.

Thank You.

Blinky the Shark 11-01-2007 09:55 PM

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> Reshma wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I am new to HTML and CSS. I came across this block of code, .link{
>> color:#269;
>> display:block;
>> margin:4px 0 0 0;
>> padding:2px 1em;
>> }
>>
>> I am wondering what is the equivalent hex code for the color:#269 in
>> the above.

> A three-digit RGB code #xyz is shorthand for a six-digit hex code
> #xxyyzz. So, #226699.

I did not know that; I always use six-digit. How is browser support?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Animesh K 11-01-2007 11:10 PM

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Harlan Messinger wrote:
>> Reshma wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I am new to HTML and CSS. I came across this block of code, .link{
>>> color:#269;
>>> display:block;
>>> margin:4px 0 0 0;
>>> padding:2px 1em;
>>> }
>>>
>>> I am wondering what is the equivalent hex code for the color:#269 in
>>> the above.

>> A three-digit RGB code #xyz is shorthand for a six-digit hex code
>> #xxyyzz. So, #226699.

> I did not know that; I always use six-digit. How is browser support?

Since this method is used at CSS Zen garden too, I think it will have a
good cross-browser support. Dave and Molly typically test Zen garden
designs on various browsers before publishing (or so they claim).

Bone Ur 11-01-2007 11:46 PM

Re: What is the equivalent Hex ?

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:55:30 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:

>>> I am wondering what is the equivalent hex code for the color:#269 in
>>> the above.

>> A three-digit RGB code #xyz is shorthand for a six-digit hex code
>> #xxyyzz. So, #226699.

> I did not know that; I always use six-digit. How is browser support?

....To save 3 lousy alphanumeric digits per attribute?

(I've had no trouble with any browser the few times I've done it.)

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Dylan Parry 11-02-2007 12:13 AM

Animesh K wrote:

> Dave and Molly typically test Zen garden designs on various browsers
> before publishing (or so they claim).

When you say Molly, I presume Holzschlag; but I'm not sure about Dave...
the only one that springs to mind is Raggett. So put me out of my
misery; Who is Dave?

It's probably obvious that I never look at the Zen Garden ;)

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Els 11-02-2007 12:39 AM

Dylan Parry wrote:
> Animesh K wrote:
>
>> Dave and Molly typically test Zen garden designs on various browsers
>> before publishing (or so they claim).

> When you say Molly, I presume Holzschlag; but I'm not sure about Dave...
> the only one that springs to mind is Raggett. So put me out of my
> misery; Who is Dave?

This is Dave:
http://www.mezzoblue.com/

(I didn't even know Molly helps him with CSS Zen Garden <g> )

> It's probably obvious that I never look at the Zen Garden ;)

Or subscribe to Dave's blog ;-)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Blinky the Shark 11-02-2007 01:16 AM

Bone Ur wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:55:30 GMT
> Blinky the Shark scribed:

>>> A three-digit RGB code #xyz is shorthand for a six-digit hex code
>>> #xxyyzz. So, #226699.

>> I did not know that; I always use six-digit. How is browser support?

> ...To save 3 lousy alphanumeric digits per attribute?

I'll continue using six-digit codes. I just wondered about support.

> (I've had no trouble with any browser the few times I've done it.)

To save three lousy characters? ;)