Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't maintain wireless connection. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t547687-cant-maintain-wireless-connection.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TjggSA==?= 10-29-2007 06:44 AM

Can't maintain wireless connection.

I recently installed a Linksys WRT54G wireless router to my satellite
broadband service to connect my other desktop and my notebook. I installed a
Linksys WMP54G PCI adapter to the 2nd desktop. After everything was
configured, I can receive and connect to the signal, but the connection is
very intermitant. I will connect @ very good signal then mere seconds later
I will lose connection all together. This scenario continues to repeat.

My home is 80 feet in length, the router is positioned in the upper level
approx. 20 feet in. The PC with the wireless adapter is located on the next
level down the other end of my home approx. 20 feet in. Was I sold the wrong
equipment or is there something I need to reconfigure?

Barb Bowman 10-29-2007 09:15 AM

Re: Can't maintain wireless connection.

Home construction? # of walls? obstacles like duct work, mirrors,
large appliances, etc. impact connectivity. 2.4GHz cordless phones,
microwaves can interfere. what operating system? are there other
wireless networks in range? what channel are you using? what type of
encryption and do the keys match? (you should be using WPA2 or at
least WPA). what wireless driver version? what hardware version of
the WRT54G and what firmware? are both the latest available?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 10-29-2007 03:40 PM

Re: Can't maintain wireless connection.

Hi
Might be noisy environment.
Try to change the transmission channel in the Router, may be another channel
would work better.
Jack (MVP-Networking).