Velocity Reviews

-   -   Laptop Display Sideways (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t547517-laptop-display-sideways.html)

DZN 10-28-2007 03:07 PM

Laptop Display Sideways

Trying to troubleshoot my mothers laptop by phone. Its a relatively new
Dell lapp running Windows XP. She did something and now the dislay is
sideways (apparently only on her account, noit my father's account on the
same computer). Restarting and pressing f8 and start with last know good
configuation doesn'tcure this. Any suggestions for fixing this (excluding
just turning the comuter sideways,replacing with a MAC or Linux-based
machine etc.) would be appreciated.

meerkat 10-28-2007 03:11 PM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

"DZN" <david.nirenberg@att.net> wrote in message
> Trying to troubleshoot my mothers laptop by phone. Its a relatively new
> Dell lapp running Windows XP. She did something and now the dislay is
> sideways (apparently only on her account, noit my father's account on the
> same computer). Restarting and pressing f8 and start with last know good
> configuation doesn'tcure this. Any suggestions for fixing this (excluding
> just turning the comuter sideways,replacing with a MAC or Linux-based
> machine etc.) would be appreciated.

All the angles here...
http://internetducttape.com/2006/08/...r-upside-down/

why? 10-28-2007 03:24 PM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:07:25 GMT, DZN wrote:

>Trying to troubleshoot my mothers laptop by phone. Its a relatively new
>Dell lapp running Windows XP. She did something and now the dislay is

This has been asked before,

Ctrl/Alt + the arrow keys to rotate the display. , from looking

search http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

Or another PC if you plug in the DELL model or service tag into the DELL
support site get the manuals for the page about the key combinations.
http://support.dell.com/

Or look for hot keys windows xp

Microsoft® Windows® screen display is rotated 90 degrees or ...
Operating System, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP. Part No, (none) ...
Some Intel® graphics drivers allow the user to rotate the display. ...
http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalA...ec201118&nav=0 - 25k -
Cached - Similar pages

Screeen Display
My screen display has turned upside down in Windows Xp, any ideas??? A
few display drivers can rotate the screen. Two that I know about nVidia
and ATI. ...
www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-521855.php - 44k - Cached - Similar
pages
rotate display / rotate screen

>sideways (apparently only on her account, noit my father's account on the
>same computer). Restarting and pressing f8 and start with last know good

Don't use LKG unless you know what it does. Try searching 24HSHD as
well, it wasn't very long ago IIRC I posted some links about it as well.

>configuation doesn'tcure this. Any suggestions for fixing this (excluding
>just turning the comuter sideways,replacing with a MAC or Linux-based
>machine etc.) would be appreciated.

Press the correct hot key to rotate the display,

Searching 24HSHD,

28 results for display sideways

screen display rotated 180 degrees
Rotate display on inspiron Some how I managed to get my new DELL
Inspiron 6400
screen to go to ... Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:51 pm Post subject: Re:
Rotate
display on inspiron ... www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic208844.html -
25k -
Cached - Similar pages Yahoo! Answers - My desktop screen is sideways on
my dell ...
Aug 26 by why? - 7 messages - 5 authors

Laptop display rotated
.... about a month and i somehow have rotated the display 90 degrees. I
do not know
how I did it but more importantly do not now how to get it back to the
correct
position. Can anyone help? Try CTRL+ALT+Up arrow Great, Thanks That did
it!
I was hurting my neck trying to read the owners manual printed sideways.
LOL.
Jul 30 by p4o2 - 6 messages - 4 authors

Desktop suddenly going horizontal
I can also hit the wrong keys and turn the display screen
sideways/upside down, I
turn'd off my display hotkeys. :) -

dell inspiron rotate display

Rotate display on inspiron
Some how I managed to get my new DELL Inspiron 6400 screen to go to ...
inspiron ...
www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic208844.html - 25k - Cached - Similar
pages

Yahoo! Answers - My desktop screen is sideways on my dell inspiron ...
My desktop screen is sideways on my dell inspiron notebook? ... Ex:
Nvidia Control Panel-> Display-> Appearance-> Rotate Display. 2 weeks
ago - Report Abuse ...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2164643AAoplbf - 60k
- Cached - Similar pages

Me

TJ 10-28-2007 03:39 PM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

"meerkat" <xxxx@xxxx.com> wrote in

> "DZN" <david.nirenberg@att.net> wrote in message

>> Trying to troubleshoot my mothers laptop by phone. Its a relatively
>> new Dell lapp running Windows XP. She did something and now the
>> dislay is sideways (apparently only on her account, noit my father's
>> account on the same computer). Restarting and pressing f8 and start
>> with last know good configuation doesn'tcure this. Any suggestions
>> for fixing this (excluding just turning the comuter
>> sideways,replacing with a MAC or Linux-based machine etc.) would be
>> appreciated.

> All the angles here...
> http://internetducttape.com/2006/08/...tures-monitor-
> display-turns-sideways-or-upside-down/

One of my machines has a GeForce NVIDIA graphics card that has a rotate
screen 90,180,270 degrees option as part of the settings in the taskbar.

All kidding aside, of what practical use is this fuction? I've never found
any use for it, but there must be some?

Why would anyone want/need to turn their display to the left, the right, or
upside-down? Serioulsy.

meerkat 10-28-2007 04:13 PM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

"TJ" <TJ@nothanks.invalid> wrote in message
> "meerkat" <xxxx@xxxx.com> wrote in
>

>> "DZN" <david.nirenberg@att.net> wrote in message

>>> Trying to troubleshoot my mothers laptop by phone. Its a relatively
>>> new Dell lapp running Windows XP. She did something and now the
>>> dislay is sideways (apparently only on her account, noit my father's
>>> account on the same computer). Restarting and pressing f8 and start
>>> with last know good configuation doesn'tcure this. Any suggestions
>>> for fixing this (excluding just turning the comuter
>>> sideways,replacing with a MAC or Linux-based machine etc.) would be
>>> appreciated.

>> All the angles here...
>> http://internetducttape.com/2006/08/...tures-monitor-
>> display-turns-sideways-or-upside-down/

> One of my machines has a GeForce NVIDIA graphics card that has a rotate
> screen 90,180,270 degrees option as part of the settings in the taskbar.
>
> All kidding aside, of what practical use is this fuction? I've never
> found
> any use for it, but there must be some?
>
> Why would anyone want/need to turn their display to the left, the right,
> or
> upside-down? Serioulsy.

One example.
Some people turn their camera sideways to take pictures.
So the picture is sideways on.
Flip the screen, and you can view the picture correctly.
HTH.

Whiskers 10-28-2007 05:54 PM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

On 2007-10-28, TJ <TJ@nothanks.invalid> wrote:
> "meerkat" <xxxx@xxxx.com> wrote in
>

>> "DZN" <david.nirenberg@att.net> wrote in message

>>> Trying to troubleshoot my mothers laptop by phone. Its a relatively
>>> new Dell lapp running Windows XP. She did something and now the
>>> dislay is sideways (apparently only on her account, noit my father's
>>> account on the same computer). Restarting and pressing f8 and start
>>> with last know good configuation doesn'tcure this. Any suggestions
>>> for fixing this (excluding just turning the comuter
>>> sideways,replacing with a MAC or Linux-based machine etc.) would be
>>> appreciated.

>> All the angles here...
>> http://internetducttape.com/2006/08/...tures-monitor-
>> display-turns-sideways-or-upside-down/

> One of my machines has a GeForce NVIDIA graphics card that has a rotate
> screen 90,180,270 degrees option as part of the settings in the taskbar.
>
> All kidding aside, of what practical use is this fuction? I've never found
> any use for it, but there must be some?
>
> Why would anyone want/need to turn their display to the left, the right, or
> upside-down? Serioulsy.

Some sorts of job are easier to do with a display that has the long side
vertical instead of horizontal. So if you have your monitor mounted that
way, it's quite nice to be able to 'rotate' everything else to match.
Some monitors have mounts that allow the screen to be physically moved
from one position to the other.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

nobody > 10-28-2007 06:23 PM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

TJ wrote:

> All kidding aside, of what practical use is this fuction? I've never found
> any use for it, but there must be some?
>
> Why would anyone want/need to turn their display to the left, the right, or
> upside-down? Serioulsy.

My orthopedist's office has their BIG widescreen lcd monitors on carts
and rotated either 90 or 270 degrees. Their paperwork and electronic
copies of Xrays work much better that way, as well as clearing doorways.

Upside down, I've seen LCD monitors mounted under shelves to keep the
desktop clear. Also, some of the fancy executive desks that show the
screen thru the surface of the desk using remoted CRTS needed to be
upside-down because of the mirror.

I've seen various vidcards that even do side to side flip. There has to
be a reason, but I don't know it

why? 10-28-2007 08:46 PM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:39:36 -0500, TJ wrote:

>"meerkat" <xxxx@xxxx.com> wrote in
>

>> "DZN" <david.nirenberg@att.net> wrote in message

>>> Trying to troubleshoot my mothers laptop by phone. Its a relatively
>>> new Dell lapp running Windows XP. She did something and now the
>>> dislay is sideways (apparently only on her account, noit my father's

<snip>

>> All the angles here...
>> http://internetducttape.com/2006/08/...tures-monitor-
>> display-turns-sideways-or-upside-down/

>One of my machines has a GeForce NVIDIA graphics card that has a rotate
>screen 90,180,270 degrees option as part of the settings in the taskbar.
>
>All kidding aside, of what practical use is this fuction? I've never found
>any use for it, but there must be some?

Can't view A4 full size, turn screen 90deg rotate the display and get A4
at 100%.

>Why would anyone want/need to turn their display to the left, the right, or
>upside-down? Serioulsy.

Other is viewing pictures at something less than 100%, in portrait mode
default is 100%.

That's on a 1280x1024, in portrait it's 1024 x 1280 another few 100
pixels helps.

Upside down is handy, use existing mounting brackets and simply rotate
the display 180 so it looks correct when used to hang down from a
ceiling.

Me

kráftéé 10-29-2007 11:45 AM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

meerkat wrote:
> "TJ" <TJ@nothanks.invalid> wrote in message
>> "meerkat" <xxxx@xxxx.com> wrote in
>>

>>> "DZN" <david.nirenberg@att.net> wrote in message

>>> All the angles here...
>>> http://internetducttape.com/2006/08/...tures-monitor-
>>> display-turns-sideways-or-upside-down/

>> One of my machines has a GeForce NVIDIA graphics card that has a
>> rotate screen 90,180,270 degrees option as part of the settings in
>> the taskbar. All kidding aside, of what practical use is this
>> fuction? I've
>> never found
>> any use for it, but there must be some?
>>
>> Why would anyone want/need to turn their display to the left, the
>> right, or
>> upside-down? Serioulsy.
>>

> One example.
> Some people turn their camera sideways to take pictures.
> So the picture is sideways on.
> Flip the screen, and you can view the picture correctly.
> HTH.

Far easier to flip the photo...

Jim McCardle 10-29-2007 12:41 PM

Re: Laptop Display Sideways

I do not remember whether I did this or a customer did but it was
tricky to fix as the mouse movements seemed wrong. I think I looked in
the manual for the laptop and found some obscure key combination that
rotaed the screen. If you contact the friendly support team at Dell
they should be able to help you. It is nothing serious just a bloody
nuscience.
I did a qick search via google and saw this item
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
I think its you hit control-alt up arrow and it should realign your
screen
3 months ago
Report It Asker's Rating: Asker's Comment: thank u soooooooo muh! u
just saved my neck muscles. Is this what you are searching for?Rating:
Good Answer Rating: Bad Answer
here are some urls to look at.
Help2Go - Dell Laptop screen rotationDell Laptop screen rotation ...
using the arrow keys on my Dell Laptop and the screen rotated 90
degrees. ... Look for anything that relates to rotation. ...
http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...topic/t,19619/
- 32k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Google Answers: LaptopsAs your laptop starts up, watch the screen
closely. When you see the blue "Dell" logo appear, press your <F2>
key. This interrupts the normal startup ...
answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=25271 - 18k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this

My laptop windows screen has gone upside down, i dont know what to
....Also check if your laptop has a another short cut key for reversing
the screen. Check the shortcuts that you have to activate with the Fn
key since these ...
in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070113001048AAhTAK2 - 158k -
Cached - Similar pages - Note this

How do i make my laptop screen look normal again? Its now rotated
....Try Contol and using one of the arrow keys to rotate the screen.
.... how is dell customer support in india or should i drop my plans to
buy dell laptop? ...
in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060807072638AAnDIIY - 83k -
Cached - Similar pages - Note this

90 degrees rotation? - Yahoo! Answers90 degrees rotation? i mistakenly
pressed a key on my computer keyboard and now my screen is rotated
90degrees. i have a dell laptop and using window ...
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070702203457AAfe794 - 49k -
Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Rotate ScreenQuestion: I want to rotate the screen on my laptop - have
tried the alt. ctrl and arrow keys. Also tried ctrl, shift and arrow
keys but they don't work. ...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21142402.html - 71k
- Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Photo Matt » Vertical Mac OS XActually on my server that has a 7300GT
Nvidia card can rotate the screen and I have it hooked up to a Dell
e551c (POS). But when I go to the news editors ...
photomatt.net/2007/01/09/vertical-mac-os-x/ - 21k - Cached - Similar
pages - Note this

Solved: Dell Inspiron 1550 - Inverted Display - Tech Support Guy
....When I connect an external monitor to the laptop, and press the
'Fn+F8(CRT/LCD)' keys the display on both the external monitor and
latop is displayed ...
forums.techguy.org/hardware/588230-solved-dell-inspiron-1550-inverted.html
- 47k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Year-End Mac Upgrade - O'Reilly Digital Media BlogMy wife’s Dell
laptop has a beautiful screen, so after some more research .... there
was some sort of key combination that could rotate the computer
display ...
http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmed...c_upgrade.html
- 34k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

upside down laptop screen....help! - Notebook Forums and Laptop
....Reload this Page upside down laptop screen....help! ... My 6 year
old pressed a combination of keys on my dell inspiron 1300 laptop, and
now my display is ...
forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=97864 - 76k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this

Hope this helps.
JMCC