Velocity Reviews

-   -   SSL Scanner (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t547357-ssl-scanner.html)

royend 10-27-2007 03:22 PM

SSL Scanner

I am doing some research for a school project on authentication at the
web and the risk for identity theft. How can unauthorized users misuse
your identity and get access to classified information.

For my research I have tried some programs which stops the TCP-package
with headers like HTTP/1.0 and infomation about data submitted by a
form e.g. password and username.

I have tried two web scanners:
1. Burpsuite
which I managed to intercept packeges for HTTP 1.0 and hence was able
to read inserted username and password in plaintext. Still it wasn't
able to stop SSL-traffic, although it should be able to when turning
the "Use SSL"-parameter on.
2. Nikto
which is supposed to be a great listener/scanner, but I have not been
able to make it work.

Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
using SSL protocols?

Looking forward to your help.

goarilla 10-27-2007 04:22 PM

Re: SSL Scanner

royend wrote:
> I am doing some research for a school project on authentication at the
> web and the risk for identity theft. How can unauthorized users misuse
> your identity and get access to classified information.
>
> For my research I have tried some programs which stops the TCP-package
> with headers like HTTP/1.0 and infomation about data submitted by a
> form e.g. password and username.
>
> I have tried two web scanners:
> 1. Burpsuite
> which I managed to intercept packeges for HTTP 1.0 and hence was able
> to read inserted username and password in plaintext. Still it wasn't
> able to stop SSL-traffic, although it should be able to when turning
> the "Use SSL"-parameter on.
> 2. Nikto
> which is supposed to be a great listener/scanner, but I have not been
> able to make it work.
>
> Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
> Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
> using SSL protocols?
>
> Looking forward to your help.

you want to decipher encrypted connections into plaintext ?
if that's the case ... bugger off

royend 10-27-2007 10:24 PM

Re: SSL Scanner

On 27 Okt, 18:22, goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be">
wrote:
> royend wrote:
> > I am doing some research for a school project on authentication at the
> > web and the risk for identity theft. How can unauthorized users misuse
> > your identity and get access to classified information.

> > For my research I have tried some programs which stops the TCP-package
> > with headers like HTTP/1.0 and infomation about data submitted by a
> > form e.g. password and username.

> > I have tried two web scanners:
> > 1. Burpsuite
> > which I managed to intercept packeges for HTTP 1.0 and hence was able
> > to read inserted username and password in plaintext. Still it wasn't
> > able to stop SSL-traffic, although it should be able to when turning
> > the "Use SSL"-parameter on.
> > 2. Nikto
> > which is supposed to be a great listener/scanner, but I have not been
> > able to make it work.

> > Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
> > Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
> > using SSL protocols?

> > Looking forward to your help.

> you want to decipher encrypted connections into plaintext ?
> if that's the case ... bugger off- Skjul sitert tekst -
>
> - Vis sitert tekst -

Wow...
not the kind of reply I was hoping for.
And no, I don't need a deciphering tool. What I want is a tool which
may scan for packages sent via SSL/TLS, like Burpsuite does with
HTTP1.0. This tool lets me read the headers (also possible to alter
them before sending them to server, but for my purpose it is only
necessary to read). Also, the project focuses on the vulnerability of
the web, and I am hoping to shove that even though SSL is implemented
the packages might be vulnerable to a Man-In-The-Middle-Attack (please
correct me if I am wrong), as the packages might be intercepted by an
attacker.

Any advice is appreciated for a tool which might help me prove it.

Solbu 10-28-2007 03:49 AM

Re: SSL Scanner

Jim Watt 10-28-2007 10:29 AM

Re: SSL Scanner

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:22:11 -0700, royend <royend@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
>Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
>using SSL protocols?

Part of the reason that SSL is encrypted is to stop
people doing what you propose.

So the quick answer is no you can't.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

royend 10-28-2007 10:50 AM

Re: SSL Scanner

On 28 Okt, 04:49, Solbu <so...@ugyldig.start.no> wrote:

On 28 Okt, 11:29, Jim Watt <jimw...@aol.no_way> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:22:11 -0700, royend <roy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
> >Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
> >using SSL protocols?

> Explanation why it can't be done...
> --
> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

That is what I thought (and hoped for...).
Can the packages be saved when intercepted and without changing the
package be used in a replay attack?

royend.

goarilla 10-28-2007 01:25 PM

Re: SSL Scanner

royend wrote:
> On 28 Okt, 04:49, Solbu <so...@ugyldig.start.no> wrote:

> On 28 Okt, 11:29, Jim Watt <jimw...@aol.no_way> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:22:11 -0700, royend <roy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
>>> Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
>>> using SSL protocols?

>> Explanation why it can't be done...
>> --
>> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

> That is what I thought (and hoped for...).
> Can the packages be saved when intercepted and without changing the
> package be used in a replay attack?
>
> royend.

:%s/package/packet/g

i'm sorry in my native language 'pakket' has both meanings as well but still
i know the difference and the appropriate term when using them in english

Ari 10-28-2007 09:00 PM

Re: SSL Scanner

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:22:11 -0700, royend wrote:

> Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
> Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
> using SSL protocols?

Read (view) or decrypt?
--
"You can't trust code that you did not totally create yourself"
Ken Thompson "Reflections on Trusting Trust"

royend 10-30-2007 12:09 AM

Re: SSL Scanner

On 28 Okt, 22:00, Ari <arisilverst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:22:11 -0700, royend wrote:
> > Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
> > Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
> > using SSL protocols?

> Read (view) or decrypt?
> --
> "You can't trust code that you did not totally create yourself"
> Ken Thompson "Reflections on Trusting Trust"http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/

Basically read (view).
I guess the decryption would depend on what kind of encryption is
used, which is decided in the SSL handshake? Is it possible to somehow
decide what kind of encryption is used by viewing the encrypted text?

ALso, thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread!

Jim Watt 10-30-2007 07:37 AM

Re: SSL Scanner

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:09:20 -0000, royend <royend@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 28 Okt, 22:00, Ari <arisilverst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:22:11 -0700, royend wrote:
>> > Is there any programs you would recommend which will handle SSL/TLS?
>> > Would for instance a program like Ethereal be able to read packages
>> > using SSL protocols?

>> Read (view) or decrypt?
>> --
>> "You can't trust code that you did not totally create yourself"
>> Ken Thompson "Reflections on Trusting Trust"http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/

>Basically read (view).
>I guess the decryption would depend on what kind of encryption is
>used, which is decided in the SSL handshake? Is it possible to somehow
>decide what kind of encryption is used by viewing the encrypted text?
>
>ALso, thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread!

If it was easy then there would be no point in using it.

The scheme is designed to keep hackers out.

Read the SSL specifications and see.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com