Velocity Reviews

-   -   embeded source changed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t547082-embeded-source-changed.html)

susan 10-26-2007 07:45 AM

embeded source changed

Hello,

I use an ėmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last week
it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it used
QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.

How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

Thanks,

Susan

dorayme 10-26-2007 08:03 AM

Re: embeded source changed

In article <ffs5tp$olt$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
"susan" <svdv12@hetnet.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use an ėmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last week
> it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it used
> QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
>
> How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

Platform?

--
dorayme

susan 10-26-2007 09:41 AM

Re: embeded source changed

"dorayme" <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> schreef in bericht
> In article <ffs5tp$olt$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
> "susan" <svdv12@hetnet.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use an ėmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last
>> week
>> it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it used
>> QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
>>
>> How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?
>>

> Platform?
>
> --
> dorayme

Platform: Windows XP Home
Browser: IE 7.0

Neredbojias 10-26-2007 06:05 PM

Re: embeded source changed

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:45:09
GMT susan scribed:

> Hello,
>
> I use an ėmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last
> week it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it
> used QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
>
> How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

Quicktime is a heinous program that inveigles itself in your software. The
first thing I would do is get rid of it - "remove" it from your computer.
This may be necessary in some cases to remove it from browser-recognition.

You will also (probably) have to edit your browser's mime types as well.
If you're still having problems in a couple of days, I will retrace my own
steps in exorcising it from IE on my box and let you know what I did.

--
Neredbojias
Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.

dorayme 10-26-2007 07:40 PM

Re: embeded source changed

In article <Xns99D570D03560Dnanopandaneredbojias@85.214.62.10 8>,
Neredbojias <monstersquasher@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:45:09
> GMT susan scribed:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use an ėmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last
> > week it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it
> > used QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
> >
> > How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

> Quicktime is a heinous program that inveigles itself in your software. The
> first thing I would do is get rid of it - "remove" it from your computer.
> This may be necessary in some cases to remove it from browser-recognition.
>
> You will also (probably) have to edit your browser's mime types as well.
> If you're still having problems in a couple of days, I will retrace my own
> steps in exorcising it from IE on my box and let you know what I did.

On a Mac one can set up what a browser should use for opening
files. For example, in Firefox, under the Content preferences,
there is a field where you can manage how the browser handles
certain file types. You can open with a plugin (these can be
inspected in their folder), open with some application, save them
to your computer and not open them. You can set these things up
easily. Perhaps it is more complex on Windows machines? It seems
very drastic to remove QT completely. Perhaps someone could go
through the procedure of how to set options for this on a Windows
machine... on a Windows forum if not here?

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little 10-26-2007 08:34 PM

Re: embeded source changed

dorayme wrote:
> In article <Xns99D570D03560Dnanopandaneredbojias@85.214.62.10 8>,
> Neredbojias <monstersquasher@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:45:09
>> GMT susan scribed:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I use an ėmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last
>>> week it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it
>>> used QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
>>>
>>> How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

>> Quicktime is a heinous program that inveigles itself in your software. The
>> first thing I would do is get rid of it - "remove" it from your computer.
>> This may be necessary in some cases to remove it from browser-recognition.
>>
>> You will also (probably) have to edit your browser's mime types as well.
>> If you're still having problems in a couple of days, I will retrace my own
>> steps in exorcising it from IE on my box and let you know what I did.

> On a Mac one can set up what a browser should use for opening
> files. For example, in Firefox, under the Content preferences,
> there is a field where you can manage how the browser handles
> certain file types. You can open with a plugin (these can be
> inspected in their folder), open with some application, save them
> to your computer and not open them. You can set these things up
> easily. Perhaps it is more complex on Windows machines?

It is the same for FF on Windows, but you can also set file open
defaults at the OS level. Both Quicktime AND RealPlayer have a nasty
habit of commandeering media types without notice. Like Neredbojias my
recommendation is uninstall the turkey. I recommend the open source
options that are less aggressive, QuicktimeAlternative and RealAlternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
Free-Codecs.com : QuickTime Alternative 1.90

and

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
Free-Codecs.com :: Download Real Alternative 1.60

> It seems
> very drastic to remove QT completely. Perhaps someone could go
> through the procedure of how to set options for this on a Windows
> machine... on a Windows forum if not here?

To change and action at the OS level...

Start > My Computer

Tools > Folder Options... > File Types

Scroll to "MP3"

Click the Open with "Change..." button and reset to Windows Media player.

Just be aware that if you open the Quicktime player it will probably
grab MP3s again. I would advise using the open source player that will
allow you to play MOVs and other QT files without the fuss...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Sherman Pendley 10-26-2007 10:22 PM

Re: embeded source changed

"susan" <svdv12@hetnet.nl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use an ėmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last week
> it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it used
> QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.

As far as you know? Are you taking Ambien? :-)

Some time between the most recent visit and the one before, someone (maybe
you) either updated or installed the QuickTime player on the PC you're using
to check the site, and answered "yes" when the installer asked if QT should
be the default media player for "internet content."

> How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

Start up Media Player and bring select the Tools/Options menu item. In the
options dialog, choose the "Files" pane and select the file types for which
WMP should be the default player.

sherm--

Neredbojias 10-26-2007 10:42 PM

Re: embeded source changed

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:40:30
GMT dorayme scribed:

>> > I use an ėmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until
>> > last week it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page
>> > today it used QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
>> >
>> > How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

>> Quicktime is a heinous program that inveigles itself in your
>> software. The first thing I would do is get rid of it - "remove" it
>> from your computer. This may be necessary in some cases to remove it
>> from browser-recognition.
>>
>> You will also (probably) have to edit your browser's mime types as
>> well. If you're still having problems in a couple of days, I will
>> retrace my own steps in exorcising it from IE on my box and let you
>> know what I did.

> On a Mac one can set up what a browser should use for opening
> files. For example, in Firefox, under the Content preferences,
> there is a field where you can manage how the browser handles
> certain file types. You can open with a plugin (these can be
> inspected in their folder), open with some application, save them
> to your computer and not open them. You can set these things up
> easily. Perhaps it is more complex on Windows machines? It seems
> very drastic to remove QT completely. Perhaps someone could go
> through the procedure of how to set options for this on a Windows
> machine... on a Windows forum if not here?

The problem I had was with ie6 on a Windows machine. It was exceedlingly
difficult to change Quicktime from being the default for certain mime
types no matter what I did. Dunno about ie7, and for ff and opera, I
experienced no real problem. Perhaps Sherm Pendley's method (re-
defaulting WMP) is a quick-fix I just didn't think of, but I really can't
remember. In any event, Jonathan N. Little has posted alterantives I
wished I knew about before, and I'd recommend those procedures
particularly in the case of Quicktime, which I'll never use again.
(Quicktime/mov files are also just made for embedding ads and other non-
user-friendly parasites of the digital persuasion.) However, keep in
mind that a portion of the dilemma is with ie/win, too.

Jonathan N. Little 10-26-2007 11:42 PM

Re: embeded source changed

Neredbojias wrote:

> The problem I had was with ie6 on a Windows machine. It was exceedlingly
> difficult to change Quicktime from being the default for certain mime
> types no matter what I did. Dunno about ie7, and for ff and opera, I
> experienced no real problem. Perhaps Sherm Pendley's method (re-
> defaulting WMP) is a quick-fix I just didn't think of, but I really can't
> remember. In any event, Jonathan N. Little has posted alterantives I
> wished I knew about before, and I'd recommend those procedures
> particularly in the case of Quicktime, which I'll never use again.
> (Quicktime/mov files are also just made for embedding ads and other non-
> user-friendly parasites of the digital persuasion.) However, keep in
> mind that a portion of the dilemma is with ie/win, too.

No reason not to start now, just uninstall QT and then install QTA!

I discovered both a few years back when I wanted to listen to some
online radio and they only had an RA feed. Installed RealPlayer and damn
it if it didn't grab all my media even after registry hacking to isolate
its domain RAMs... I was about to throw towel and say screw the online
radio when I discovered RealAlternative. That lead me to
QuicktimeAlternative. I dump QT too and never looked back.

As a side note. Just installed XP, I was clinging to Win2K forever...but
when I transfered some MP3 from Win2K to XP drive all was fine until my
Windows Media player upgraded to v11. Now some won't play !&^%$ DRM the
help file says something about the rights are not transfered from v9
library to v11! Well QuicktimeAlternative & RealAlternative install
Media Player Classic. Play all the MP3s and WMAs with no problems...No
it doesn't have that "Oh that's pretty but I cannot find the bleeping
controls" skin, but hey, it *plays* the media!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Neredbojias 10-27-2007 08:23 AM

Re: embeded source changed

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:42:14
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

>> The problem I had was with ie6 on a Windows machine. It was
>> exceedlingly difficult to change Quicktime from being the default for
>> certain mime types no matter what I did. Dunno about ie7, and for ff
>> and opera, I experienced no real problem. Perhaps Sherm Pendley's
>> method (re- defaulting WMP) is a quick-fix I just didn't think of,
>> but I really can't remember. In any event, Jonathan N. Little has
>> posted alterantives I wished I knew about before, and I'd recommend
>> those procedures particularly in the case of Quicktime, which I'll
>> never use again. (Quicktime/mov files are also just made for
>> embedding ads and other non- user-friendly parasites of the digital
>> persuasion.) However, keep in mind that a portion of the dilemma is
>> with ie/win, too.
>>

> No reason not to start now, just uninstall QT and then install QTA!
>
> I discovered both a few years back when I wanted to listen to some
> online radio and they only had an RA feed. Installed RealPlayer and
> damn it if it didn't grab all my media even after registry hacking to
> isolate its domain RAMs... I was about to throw towel and say screw
> the online radio when I discovered RealAlternative. That lead me to
> QuicktimeAlternative. I dump QT too and never looked back.
>
> As a side note. Just installed XP, I was clinging to Win2K
> forever...but when I transfered some MP3 from Win2K to XP drive all
> was fine until my Windows Media player upgraded to v11. Now some won't
> play !&^%$ DRM the help file says something about the rights are not
> transfered from v9 library to v11! Well QuicktimeAlternative &
> RealAlternative install Media Player Classic. Play all the MP3s and
> WMAs with no problems...No it doesn't have that "Oh that's pretty but
> I cannot find the bleeping controls" skin, but hey, it *plays* the
> media!

....Which, despite what Microsoft thinks, is actually the reason for the
software.

You sure they're mp3s, not wmas (-perhaps misidentified)? I didn't know
one could "drm" an mp3. Furthermore, that digital rights management crap
has made wma files, inferior anyway, the joke of the digital music age.

When I first got wmp11, I was a bit surprised. It seemed to work pretty
good (although what you say about the controls is true.) However, .aac
(and .mp4) files were coming out about then, and _they_ are the latest
word in superior digital music. Smaller size, better quality, and quite
user-friendly. Does wmp11 support them? No, of course not. Why not?
As I said before, because MS is just plain stupid. It's like Internet
Explorer, but <grin> have no fear... In 5 or 6 years when ie8 comes out,
it'll probably have most of the standards from 5 or 6 years back from
today down pat. Had I been an MS decision-maker, I'd have busted my hump
to support these new and desirable music formats, but they just go
blithely along in their retrograde world asking where you want to go
today for a good laugh or two before they dream up some new **** to
alienate the end user. You gotta love it.

I'll probably install QTA although I've avoided .mov files and don't have
any on-hand. Neither do I have any .rm or rma (et al) files but since my
box came with a registered version of RealPlayer, I think I'll leave that
alone. My main music player (and pretty much recorder now) is Winamp
which I liked enough to purchased the Pro version of. Musicmatch is/was
pretty decent, too, although now it's Abode or something.