Velocity Reviews

-   -   unwanted automatic power on (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t546613-unwanted-automatic-power-on.html)

richard 10-24-2007 03:08 PM

unwanted automatic power on

compaq armada M700 windows XP HE.

Upon plugging in the power to the laptop, the unit instantly begins to
load and go. I don't even have to press the power on switch. I have
checked the power settings and can find nothing to change.

Bios? I can't find anything in it that will stop this.

If I leave the battery in, unplug from the AC with the machine off, it
will automatically boot up later and if I'm not using it, drain the
battery.

Also, I have changed my hard drive to turn off after a few minutes. It
does, then a few minutes later the damn thing comes right back on and
I haven't touched it.

What's the cure?

chuckcar 10-24-2007 11:14 PM

Re: unwanted automatic power on

richard <lordofthebull@royal.net> wrote in
news:1193238514.115907.177520@z24g2000prh.googlegr oups.com:

> compaq armada M700 windows XP HE.
>
> Upon plugging in the power to the laptop, the unit instantly begins to
> load and go. I don't even have to press the power on switch. I have
> checked the power settings and can find nothing to change.
>
> Bios? I can't find anything in it that will stop this.
>
> If I leave the battery in, unplug from the AC with the machine off, it
> will automatically boot up later and if I'm not using it, drain the
> battery.
>
> Also, I have changed my hard drive to turn off after a few minutes. It
> does, then a few minutes later the damn thing comes right back on and
> I haven't touched it.
>
> What's the cure?

Replace/turn off the power switch.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 10-25-2007 02:29 AM

Re: unwanted automatic power on

richard <lordofthebull@royal.net> wrote:

>compaq armada M700 windows XP HE.
>
>Upon plugging in the power to the laptop, the unit instantly begins to
>load and go. I don't even have to press the power on switch. I have
>checked the power settings and can find nothing to change.
>
>Bios? I can't find anything in it that will stop this.
>
>If I leave the battery in, unplug from the AC with the machine off, it
>will automatically boot up later and if I'm not using it, drain the
>battery.
>
>Also, I have changed my hard drive to turn off after a few minutes. It
>does, then a few minutes later the damn thing comes right back on and
>I haven't touched it.
>
>What's the cure?

This question has been asked quite a few times with no real answer.

--

bubble wrap.
http://public.aregner.com/bubblewrap.swf

Phat Sam 10-29-2007 12:59 PM

Re: unwanted automatic power on

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:08:34 -0700, richard <lordofthebull@royal.net>
wrote:

>compaq armada M700 windows XP HE.
>
>Upon plugging in the power to the laptop, the unit instantly begins to
>load and go. I don't even have to press the power on switch. I have
>checked the power settings and can find nothing to change.
>
>Bios? I can't find anything in it that will stop this.
>
>If I leave the battery in, unplug from the AC with the machine off, it
>will automatically boot up later and if I'm not using it, drain the
>battery.
>
>Also, I have changed my hard drive to turn off after a few minutes. It
>does, then a few minutes later the damn thing comes right back on and
>I haven't touched it.
>
>What's the cure?

You might want to turn that setting in the BIOS off that says "Boot up
at xx:XX every day" and "After power failure "Power On" or "Re-Boot",
turn it to "Stay off"