Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbie introduction and question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t546445-newbie-introduction-and-question.html)

Juan Moore Beer 10-23-2007 10:50 PM

Newbie introduction and question

Hi All,

My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.

I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
is here.

My newbieness is in the digital arena. I have taken my share of snapshots
but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.

I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.

A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1

Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
could be better, but I like it so there :-)

My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
printing.

My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
want to buy it if I don't need it.

If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?

Thanks for your help.

__________________________________________________ ___________________*

Sparky 10-23-2007 11:38 PM

Re: Newbie introduction and question

On Oct 23, 4:50 pm, "Juan Moore Beer" <juanmooreb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
>
> I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
> is here.
>
> My newbieness is in the digital arena. I have taken my share of snapshots
> but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.
>
> I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.
>
> A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1
>
> Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
> could be better, but I like it so there :-)
>
> My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
> shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
> printing.
>
> My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
> Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
> Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
> want to buy it if I don't need it.
>
> If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> __________________________________________________ ___________________
> RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader :www.recgroups.com

photoshop is really cool, if you know how to use it, but it can be
useful even if you are just experimenting

never used Canon Digital Professional, so i cant exactly tell you
which is better

John McWilliams 10-23-2007 11:56 PM

Juan Moore Beer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
>
> I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
> is here.

Welcome! You must have a high tolerance for pests!

> My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
> shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
> printing.
>
> My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
> Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
> Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
> want to buy it if I don't need it.
>
> If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?

In short, yes. You can try it free, as well (as you can with the full
version of PS and Lightroom.) I'd try 'em all and see what you like.

--
john mcwilliams

Robert Coe 10-24-2007 01:22 AM

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:38:20 -0700, Sparky <fixxie.wits@gmail.com> wrote:
: On Oct 23, 4:50 pm, "Juan Moore Beer" <juanmooreb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
: > Hi All,
: >
: > __________________________________________________ ___________________
: > RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader :www.recgroups.com
:
: photoshop is really cool, if you know how to use it, but it can be
: useful even if you are just experimenting
:
: never used Canon Digital Professional, so i cant exactly tell you
: which is better

I have used Digital Photo Professional, and I like it a lot (although my wife
is pestering me to get Photoshop Elements for her birthday). The story on DPP
is that it doesn't do very much, but what it does do, it does very well. My
suggestion would be to learn to use DPP and only look elsewhere when you're
pretty sure you've outgrown it. But be sure you have the latest version
(3.0.2.6). I don't think you'll find it on the CD, so you'll have to go to
Canon's Web site to get it.

Bob

Scott W 10-24-2007 03:28 AM

Juan Moore Beer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
>
> I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
> is here.
>
> My newbieness is in the digital arena. I have taken my share of snapshots
> but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.
>
> I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.
>
> A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1
>
> Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
> could be better, but I like it so there :-)
>
> My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
> shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
> printing.
>
> My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
> Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
> Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
> want to buy it if I don't need it.
>
> If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?

I use Canon Digital Professional from time to time, don't really like it
that much.

I believe you meant to say Photoshop Elements not Essentials, if so
Photoshop Elements is the main program I use for editing.

I have thought about getting the full version of Photoshop, but for that
price I can get a new lens, and I would rather have the new lens.

Scott

Steven 10-24-2007 08:12 AM

"Juan Moore Beer" <juanmoorebeer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
>
> I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
> is here.

Hi Dan, you are a glutten for punishment hanging about here. Far too many
folk not interested in photography and just want to snipe at each other.
Have a look at www.ephotozine.com Great crowd and no abuse.

S.

ray 10-24-2007 03:20 PM

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:50:45 -0700, Juan Moore Beer wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
>
> I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
> is here.
>
> My newbieness is in the digital arena. I have taken my share of snapshots
> but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.
>
> I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.
>
> A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1
>
> Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
> could be better, but I like it so there :-)
>
> My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
> shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
> printing.
>
> My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
> Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
> Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
> want to buy it if I don't need it.

Before you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is
available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've found
that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW (also free)
things generally work out quite quickly and easily.

Juan Moore Beer 10-24-2007 03:51 PM

Re: Newbie introduction and question

Thanks to all. Your advice will help get me started.

There is so much to learn and so little time!

----*

Robert Coe 10-27-2007 01:18 PM

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:20:33 -0600, ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:
: Before you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is
: available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've found
: that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW (also free)
: things generally work out quite quickly and easily.

Do those programs handle Canon .CR2 RAW mode correctly, including preserving
Canon's idiosyncratic Exif data?

Bob

ray 10-27-2007 04:07 PM

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:18:25 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:20:33 -0600, ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:
> : Before you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is
> : available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've found
> : that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW (also free)
> : things generally work out quite quickly and easily.
>
> Do those programs handle Canon .CR2 RAW mode correctly, including preserving
> Canon's idiosyncratic Exif data?
>
> Bob

Since I have a Kodak P850, I have no idea. You could check the ufraw
and/or dcraw web sites.