Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless vs. LAN cable home networking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5463-wireless-vs-lan-cable-home-networking.html)

ABC 01-14-2005 11:33 PM

Wireless vs. LAN cable home networking

Hi-

I've got my home wireless network working now, including being able to print
from my laptop to a printer connected to my desktop (with both machines
connected wirelessly through a router). There are a number of reasons why
this wireless setup is superior, for my use, to a physical connection to the
desktop with a LAN cable.

However, there are some things I'd like to do through the desktop that would
probably go much faster using a LAN connection. Can I set up a second
network that lets me connect my laptop directly to the desktop using a LAN
cable? Do I need any special accessories or software to do this? In
particular, the desktop HD is much larger than the laptop and I like to
backup files onto the desktop (say 5 to 10 GB worth). Am I correct in
thinking this would move much faster over the LAN than wirelessly?

Thanks for any help.

Kelley

mikeFNB 01-15-2005 01:03 AM

Re: Wireless vs. LAN cable home networking

personallky, i found the whole system to be alot faster when i changed to
wireless from a lan.
however, i concur with your thoughts of a cat5 lan would be faster for file
transfer.
if you have a spare pair of nic sockets then set another net up for file
transfer, the set up should be very easy.

mike

=?Utf-8?B?QmVsbA==?= 01-15-2005 12:51 PM

RE: Wireless vs. LAN cable home networking

This would be much faster as you will be connecting at 100mps (Assuming you
have a recent network card in both) What you need is a CROSSOVER cable, this
will eliminate the need for another hub.