Velocity Reviews

-   -   opening documents (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t546169-opening-documents.html)

eugene 10-22-2007 09:36 PM

opening documents

I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control panel.
I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

Douglas C. Neidermeyer 10-22-2007 09:45 PM

Re: opening documents

"eugene" <eugene@home.com> wrote in message
>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control panel.
>I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something like
"Computers for Dummies"

eugene 10-22-2007 10:02 PM

Re: opening documents

"Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <dougie@faber.edu> wrote in message
news:adKdnQDV3uVahIDanZ2dnUVZ_umlnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> "eugene" <eugene@home.com> wrote in message
>>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
>>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
>>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
>>panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

> Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
> favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something
> like "Computers for Dummies"

Listen smartarse.........I asked a very simple question........if you don't
know how to help, shove your petty remarks where the sun don't shine! I am
not a rookie by any means. These attachments are marked DOC as I said. I am
using a new PC and the only Word program it has is Works Word Processor and
it won't open files labelled "DOC". So smarty pants, just cos you think you
know it all, don't condescend and patronise people asking for
help.............feckin' asshole!

lee h 10-22-2007 10:08 PM

Re: opening documents

eugene wrote:
> I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
> However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am
> told that I need to create an association in the Set Associations
> control panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

Try ABIWORD, a free download.

lee

Mara 10-22-2007 10:10 PM

Re: opening documents

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:02:16 +0100, "eugene" <eugene@home.com> wrote:

>"Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <dougie@faber.edu> wrote in message
>news:adKdnQDV3uVahIDanZ2dnUVZ_umlnZ2d@comcast.com ...
>> "eugene" <eugene@home.com> wrote in message
>>>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
>>>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
>>>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
>>>panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

>> Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
>> favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something
>> like "Computers for Dummies"
>>

>Listen smartarse.........I asked a very simple question........if you don't
>know how to help, shove your petty remarks where the sun don't shine! I am
>not a rookie by any means. These attachments are marked DOC as I said. I am
>using a new PC and the only Word program it has is Works Word Processor and
>it won't open files labelled "DOC". So smarty pants, just cos you think you
>know it all, don't condescend and patronise people asking for
>help.............feckin' asshole!

Download and install Open Office. It will open .doc files, and it's free.

--
"... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
-- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

james 10-22-2007 10:13 PM

Re: opening documents

> "Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <dougie@faber.edu> wrote in message
> news:adKdnQDV3uVahIDanZ2dnUVZ_umlnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> "eugene" <eugene@home.com> wrote in message
>>>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
>>>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
>>>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
>>>panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

>> Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
>> favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something
>> like "Computers for Dummies"
>>

> Listen smartarse.........I asked a very simple question........if you
> don't know how to help, shove your petty remarks where the sun don't
> shine! I am not a rookie by any means. These attachments are marked DOC as
> I said. I am using a new PC and the only Word program it has is Works Word
> Processor and it won't open files labelled "DOC". So smarty pants, just
> cos you think you know it all, don't condescend and patronise people
> asking for help.............feckin' asshole!

Well said
Didn't know the answer to your problem , so just ran his mouth
Jim

pcbutts1 10-22-2007 10:43 PM

Re: opening documents

Here is the link to Open Office http://download.openoffice.org/

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 10-22-2007 10:52 PM

Re: opening documents

"eugene" <eugene@home.com> wrote:

>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control panel.
>I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

No need to download anything,

Start | Run <type in>
ASSOC .doc=wordpad.exe
<enter>

This will set wordpad to open a DOC file.

You will lose formatting of the DOC (nothing fancy, just text)

--

clockwise or anti-clockwise?
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...81-661,00.html

eugene 10-22-2007 11:30 PM

Re: opening documents

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> "eugene" <eugene@home.com> wrote:
>
>>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
>>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
>>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
>>panel.
>>I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

> No need to download anything,
>
> Start | Run <type in>
> ASSOC .doc=wordpad.exe
> <enter>
>
> This will set wordpad to open a DOC file.
>
> You will lose formatting of the DOC (nothing fancy, just text)
>
> --
>
> clockwise or anti-clockwise?
> http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...81-661,00.html

Thanks everybody who offered assistance. I did download OpenOffice and got
the documents opened and read. Too late for Pennywise's suggestion but I'll
keep it in mind.

Les Hemmings 10-22-2007 11:40 PM

Re: opening documents

eugene wrote:
>>> I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read
>>> them. However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't
>>> open. >>

> Listen smartarse

<<Snip newbie *******s>>

If you have no idea what a .doc file is your a newbie. If you can't put
".doc file type" into Google your a newbie. And if you rise to the bait on
Usenet your a newbie too!

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA