Velocity Reviews

-   -   File and Printer Sharing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t54566-file-and-printer-sharing.html)

=?Utf-8?B?bWlnZ29sczk5?= 01-27-2006 08:10 PM

File and Printer Sharing

I cannot access my computers on my wireless network. The wireless internet is
fine, but I cannot see any files or printers in My Network Places. When I
click on "View workgroup computers", it says "(network name) is not
accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions. The network path was not found." Please could you help out with
my problem.

miggols99

=?Utf-8?B?QmFja3RoZVBhY2s=?= 01-28-2006 03:42 AM

RE: File and Printer Sharing

=?Utf-8?B?QmFja3RoZVBhY2s=?= 01-28-2006 03:47 AM

RE: File and Printer Sharing

I am having virtually the same problem. I have two wireless laptops and a
hardwired desktop. From the desktop, I can see the shared folder on both
laptops and I can see the each of the laptops from the other. I can add both
printers that are hooked to the wired desktop to each of the laptops, and
from all three machines, I can see the "workgroup" computers. However, I
cannot see the shared folder on the desktop from either laptop and if I click
on the desktop, I get the same message. I have tried disabling firewalls,
anti virus, anti spyware and ever other thing I can think of, but cannot see
the shared files. Sure would like to know what the problem is.

Malke 01-28-2006 02:32 PM

Re: File and Printer Sharing

miggols99 wrote:

> I cannot access my computers on my wireless network. The wireless
> internet is fine, but I cannot see any files or printers in My Network
> Places. When I click on "View workgroup computers", it says "(network
> name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administator of this server to find out
> if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."
> Please could you help out with my problem.
>
> miggols99

This is commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. You didn't say what
operating systems (and if XP, what Service Pack level) you are running
but Service Pack 2 automatically enables the Windows Firewall. If you
are not running a third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall
applet in Control Panel and enable File & Printer Sharing on the
Exceptions tab. If you are using a third-party firewall (and have
properly configured it to allow your lan traffic as Trusted), then turn
the Windows Firewall off. You don't want two firewalls running, and a
third-party program will be better than the WF. All firewalls must be
properly configured to allow lan traffic as Trusted.

Often just running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines and
rebooting is enough to successfully create the home network. The only
"gotcha" is that the Wizard will enable the SP2 Firewall, so if you
have a third-party one you'll need to go to the Firewall's applet in
Control Panel and disable it.

If the above doesn't help, go through this network troubleshooter by MVP
Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will normally
pinpoint the problem area(s).
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?QmFja3RoZVBhY2s=?= 01-29-2006 06:16 PM

RE: File and Printer Sharing

Thank you for the response. I will go through the link you sent, but wanted
to answer a couple of things. First, I am running XP w/ SP2 on all machines.
The Router is a Linksys WRT54GS. It has a firewall that can be turned on
and off. I have tried shutting the WFW off on all machines, but did not try
it with WFW and the router FW off at the same time. Yesterday, I went over
to a friends house and set up his network. He has the same router, with a
brand new Dell desktop hard wired to the router. In addition, I set up a
laptop and another desktop, both wireless. The Dell and laptop are both XP
w/SP2 and the other wirelwees desktop is XP but I am not sure which SP is on
it. Anyway, after getting the wireless part done, I set up the workgroup. I
did not create a disk/thumdrive file, rather, I just ran the setup wizard on
all three machines, enabled file a print sharing, gave each the Workgroup
name etc. THe wizard did enable the firewalls. Unfortunately, I had the
exact same result. THe two wireless machines can see and share and the hard
wired machine sees both wireless machines, but I cold not see the hardwired
computer from either of the wireless computers. It just seems strange that
having set each of the three computers up exactly the same, that the file and
print sharing is only partially messed up. In both systems, the problem is
accessing the shared folders on the hard wired computer from the wireless
computers. Wireless to wireless works and hard wired to wireless works, just
not the wireless to hardwired. Very, very frustrating.

RazlDazl 01-31-2006 01:49 PM

Re: File and Printer Sharing

They say that misery loves company and not being able to share files on one of the three computers I have networked in my home has led to many hours of frustration trying to resolve the problem. Accessing the link referred to in your post, I found that the combination of the following alterations solved my problem. Hopefully, you might have similar success.

Made sure that Windows Firewall...Off
On the Exceptions Tab of the Window Firewall, made sure File & Printer Sharing is checked

Unchecked UPNP in Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs/Add Remove Windows Components/Networking Services. (Make sure to click "apply" to set the command)

In the registry, changed the value at the following location from 1 to 0...
HKey_Local Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/LSA. On the right hand side there is an entry "restrictanonymous". Changed the value from 1 to 0.

After making the above changes, My Network Places works and I am able to once again share files! Would be interested in knowing if you enjoy similar success.

Good Luck!

=?Utf-8?B?QmFja3RoZVBhY2s=?= 02-08-2006 03:20 PM

RE: File and Printer Sharing

Thanks RazlDazl, your solution worked!. Prior to reading your post, I had
problems with NIS and had to reload the OS. When complete, I had the same
problem. All the settings were correct, except the regitry setting. My
registry had two entries referring to restrictanonymous, the first was
restrictanonymous, which had a value of 0, the other was restrictanonymoussam
which had a value of 1. When I changed it to 0, it solved the problem. Will
this affect any security?? Thanks again. I would never have solved this
problem.