Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP .Net (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f29-asp-net.html)
-   -   Master page questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t545654-master-page-questions.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QW50?= 10-20-2007 01:54 AM

Master page questions
 
Hi,
I'm a newbie to the Master page. When i drag an image directly onto the
master page from say my image folder, it is reflected in all pages which use
it, however, if I drag a table, layout, image control etc onto the master
page, I don't see these added to any of the pages that is using the Master
page as a template even after I save & rebuild.

Is this expected bahaviour & if so, how do I set up say, menus using a
layout or table & some hyperlinks?

Many thanks from a confused newbie :)

Ant

Mark Rae [MVP] 10-20-2007 09:13 AM

Re: Master page questions
 
"Ant" <Ant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C72C757C-B2DD-49AD-93C2-BBACD14432F8@microsoft.com...

> I'm a newbie to the Master page. When i drag an image directly onto the
> master page from say my image folder, it is reflected in all pages which
> use
> it, however, if I drag a table, layout, image control etc onto the master
> page, I don't see these added to any of the pages that is using the Master
> page as a template even after I save & rebuild.
>
> Is this expected bahaviour & if so, how do I set up say, menus using a
> layout or table & some hyperlinks?


Please post your MasterPage's markup...


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net


=?Utf-8?B?QW50?= 10-20-2007 10:38 AM

Re: Master page questions
 
Hi Mark,

Below is the Master pages markup you requested.

Two images exist on the page. I dragged both onto the same area of the
Master page, however one was dragged directly from an image file, the other
is an image control linking to an image. The latter is the one that doesn't
display in pages.
I have renamed the images ImageFile.jpg & ImageInImageControl.jpg for clarity.

I appreciate your help here

Ant


<body>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<div>
&nbsp; <br />

<img src="Images/ImageFile.jpg" style="z-index: 100; left: 54px;
position: absolute;
top: 12px" />
<br />
<br />
<asp:contentplaceholder id="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server">

<asp:Image ID="Image1" runat="server"
ImageUrl="~/Images/ImageInImageControl.jpg" Style="z-index: 100;
left: 793px; position: absolute; top: 53px" />
</asp:contentplaceholder>

</div>
</form>
</body>



"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "Ant" <Ant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C72C757C-B2DD-49AD-93C2-BBACD14432F8@microsoft.com...
>
> > I'm a newbie to the Master page. When i drag an image directly onto the
> > master page from say my image folder, it is reflected in all pages which
> > use
> > it, however, if I drag a table, layout, image control etc onto the master
> > page, I don't see these added to any of the pages that is using the Master
> > page as a template even after I save & rebuild.
> >
> > Is this expected bahaviour & if so, how do I set up say, menus using a
> > layout or table & some hyperlinks?

>
> Please post your MasterPage's markup...
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net
>
>


=?UTF-8?B?R8O2cmFuIEFuZGVyc3Nvbg==?= 10-20-2007 10:38 AM

Re: Master page questions
 
Ant wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a newbie to the Master page. When i drag an image directly onto the
> master page from say my image folder, it is reflected in all pages which use
> it, however, if I drag a table, layout, image control etc onto the master
> page, I don't see these added to any of the pages that is using the Master
> page as a template even after I save & rebuild.
>
> Is this expected bahaviour & if so, how do I set up say, menus using a
> layout or table & some hyperlinks?
>
> Many thanks from a confused newbie :)
>
> Ant


Master pages are not templates. What you put in the master page is not
copied to the content page. It's used when the page is executed to
render the response.

If you put some element on the master page that doesn't have any content
or size, of course they will not be visible when you preview the content
page.

--
Göran Andersson
_____
http://www.guffa.com

Mark Rae [MVP] 10-20-2007 11:15 AM

Re: Master page questions
 
"Ant" <Ant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FC7C0074-F03C-4529-B3CD-00C649EF921D@microsoft.com...

> Two images exist on the page. I dragged both onto the same area of the
> Master page,


I'm afraid you didn't - the second one is actually *inside* your
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder> tag. Depending on what you're trying to do here,
you'll need to either move the second image out of the
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder> tag so that it will appear in each content page
which uses this MasterPage, or place it in the <asp:Content> section of the
individual content page(s) where you want it to appear...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...hh(vs.80).aspx
http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/419.aspx


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net


=?Utf-8?B?QW50?= 10-20-2007 12:29 PM

Re: Master page questions
 


"Göran Andersson" wrote:

Thanks for the idea but i actually have put various controls in the
tables/layouts but they werent visible. i even put controls straight on the
form e.g. image control, but it didn't show in the asp page.

Thanks kindly for the idea though


> >
> > Ant

>
> Master pages are not templates. What you put in the master page is not
> copied to the content page. It's used when the page is executed to
> render the response.
>
> If you put some element on the master page that doesn't have any content
> or size, of course they will not be visible when you preview the content
> page.
>
> --
> Göran Andersson
> _____
> http://www.guffa.com
>



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.