Velocity Reviews

-   -   qyestion on converting old 35mm slides to jpeg files..... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t545500-qyestion-on-converting-old-35mm-slides-to-jpeg-files.html)

~^ beancounter ~^ 10-19-2007 01:42 PM

qyestion on converting old 35mm slides to jpeg files.....

I have a collection of old 35mm slides that I want to start
converting to digital jpeg files...What's my best bet on
doing this? I see a varaity of options and prices for
converters and services that do this type of work...What
are the opinions and ideas out there on price and quality?

Thanx !!!!

David J. Littleboy 10-19-2007 02:03 PM

Re: qyestion on converting old 35mm slides to jpeg files.....

"~^ beancounter ~^" <richbonilla@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a collection of old 35mm slides that I want to start
> converting to digital jpeg files...What's my best bet on
> doing this?

IMHO, the best would be the Nikon Coolscan 5000, with the Nikon Coolscan V a
very close second. (Actually, the cheaper "V" is perfectly adequate unless
you need the features of the "5000".)

> I see a varaity of options and prices for
> converters and services that do this type of work...What
> are the opinions and ideas out there on price and quality?

It's hard work and takes a lot of skill. There's a learning curve. I found
it fun and worth the effort. YMMV, as they say.

Also, it depends on how good your slides are, and what you want. If your
slides are very good and you'd like to make 11x14s or 12x18" prints from the
better ones, the Nikon scanners are the right idea.

If you just have family snaps and only want 4x6" prints, then any of the
Epson 4800 ppi scanners that does slides will be fine.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

~^ beancounter ~^ 10-19-2007 02:06 PM

Re: question on converting old 35mm slides to jpeg files.....

thank you David....

~^ beancounter ~^ 10-19-2007 02:10 PM

Re: question on converting old 35mm slides to jpeg files.....

David...aprox what is the $ investment in equipment...And, at what
point does it make since to buy the gear vs. have someone do
the conversion for me?...thanx......

gerrit 10-19-2007 02:15 PM

"~^ beancounter ~^" <richbonilla@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1192803035.521988.6400@e9g2000prf.googlegroup s.com...
> David...aprox what is the $ investment in equipment...And, at what
> point does it make since to buy the gear vs. have someone do
> the conversion for me?...thanx......

Check out ebay.
Then when you are finished sell again on ebay.
Getting someone else to do it is expensive and you learn nothing from the
exercise.
Gerrit

David J. Littleboy 10-19-2007 02:21 PM

Re: question on converting old 35mm slides to jpeg files.....

"~^ beancounter ~^" <richbonilla@gmail.com> wrote:

> David...aprox what is the $ investment in equipment...And, at what
> point does it make since to buy the gear vs. have someone do
> the conversion for me?...thanx......

You'll have to check prices in your area. Pro scanning here is insanely
expensive.

First, check out http://www.scantips.com/

What I did (and recommend) is starting out on a cheap Epson flatbed. Make
sure it has ICE, and is 4800 ppi. The Epson scanners are _much_ worse than
their specs would have one believe. 4800ppi isn't much over 1800 ppi, but
it's enough to get an idea of what's going on. And make at least decent
5x7s.

After you have an idea of the limitations, have a couple of your sharpest
slides scanned by a local pro shop. Then decide if you want to spend the
money on a Nikon scanner.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

ray 10-19-2007 03:28 PM

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:42:05 -0700, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:

> I have a collection of old 35mm slides that I want to start
> converting to digital jpeg files...What's my best bet on
> doing this? I see a varaity of options and prices for
> converters and services that do this type of work...What
> are the opinions and ideas out there on price and quality?
>
> Thanx !!!!

Doing them yourself will be very time consuming with any affordable
hardware. How many slides and how much time do you have?

Marty Fremen 10-19-2007 06:58 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:
> The Epson scanners are _much_ worse than
> their specs would have one believe.

How do flatbeds compare to older film scanners>? I have an original Minolta
Dimage Scan Dual that does 30 bit 2400ppi scans, no ICE, I've made nice A3
size enlargements from scans of well-exposed slides but the lack of ICE and
the need to set up each slide individually is a pain, so I was wondering
whether batch scanning with a flatbed might be a viable alternative. I'm
not sure what the DMax of the Dimage is, but IIRC a review claimed it was
2.9 or 3 (the documentation doesn't say).

~^ beancounter ~^ 10-19-2007 08:46 PM

Re: question on converting old 35mm slides to jpeg files.....

cool...thanx for the info...so, the "ppi" count is the
quality I will be able to reach once I start to make prints
from jpeg's, ea?......Is this the measuremant I should
focus on while shopping for hardware or someone to
do this project for me?....thanx !!

Allen 10-19-2007 08:53 PM

ray wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:42:05 -0700, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
>
>> I have a collection of old 35mm slides that I want to start
>> converting to digital jpeg files...What's my best bet on
>> doing this? I see a varaity of options and prices for
>> converters and services that do this type of work...What
>> are the opinions and ideas out there on price and quality?
>>
>> Thanx !!!!

> Doing them yourself will be very time consuming with any affordable
> hardware. How many slides and how much time do you have?

Been there, done that, and you are absolutely right, ray. ASs I'm
retired, I had the time, but it still took several months to cukk=, scan
and clean up a few thousand slides. Not something you do when you come
home from in an evening, or over a weekend, or over a normal vacation
period.
Allen