Velocity Reviews

-   -   xp home network problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t545087-xp-home-network-problem.html)

Matt 10-18-2007 01:03 AM

xp home network problem

Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot ping
to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 10-18-2007 02:49 AM

Re: xp home network problem

"Matt" <mattx@xcv.net> wrote:

>Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
>wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
>same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot ping
>to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
>ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.
>
>Any ideas appreciated.

It should be checked by default, but make sure your "simple file
sharing is checked".
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...t/winxpsfs.htm
--

Survival
http://www.tuxick.net/pics/humor/art-of-survival.jpg

Gaius Baltar 10-18-2007 11:27 PM

Re: xp home network problem

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:49:57 -0700, Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:

> "Matt" <mattx@xcv.net> wrote:
>
>>Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
>>wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
>>same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot ping
>>to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
>>ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.
>>
>>Any ideas appreciated.

Go to Start and Run services.msc

Browse the list and find the Server and Computer Browser services -
they need to be Started to do what you want.

gb

Gaius Baltar 10-18-2007 11:28 PM

Re: xp home network problem

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:49:57 -0700, Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:

> "Matt" <mattx@xcv.net> wrote:
>
>>Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
>>wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
>>same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot ping
>>to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
>>ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.
>>
>>Any ideas appreciated.

Oops, the Workstation service also needs to be Started

gb

Matt 10-19-2007 01:43 AM

Re: xp home network problem

"Gaius Baltar" <baltar@nowere.now> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:49:57 -0700, Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
>
>> "Matt" <mattx@xcv.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop
>>>on
>>>wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are
>>>the
>>>same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot
>>>ping
>>>to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup with
>>>ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both off.
>>>
>>>Any ideas appreciated.

> Oops, the Workstation service also needs to be Started

They are all started on both

Cannot ping to Main PC from LT now

wisdomkiller & pain 10-19-2007 06:06 AM

Re: xp home network problem

Matt wrote:

> Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop on
> wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are the
> same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot
> ping to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup
> with ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both
> off.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.

On both computers do a "ipconfig /all" from the commandline.
Come back with the results.

Matt 10-19-2007 11:09 PM

Re: xp home network problem

"wisdomkiller & pain" <nomail.20.eatallspam@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:4393856.ncvW7TppW9@woodpecker.motzarella.org. ..
> Matt wrote:
>
>> Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and Laptop
>> on
>> wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared, workgroup are
>> the
>> same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and cannot
>> ping to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also tried same setup
>> with ubuntu on Main PC with same result. Firewall on router and xp both
>> off.
>>
>> Any ideas appreciated.
>>

> On both computers do a "ipconfig /all" from the commandline.
> Come back with the results.

It was Mcafee's firewall! Even when turned off it was blocking somehow so I
uninstalled it and it all works.

Thanks to all

wisdomkiller & pain 10-20-2007 07:40 AM

Re: xp home network problem

Matt wrote:

> It was Mcafee's firewall! Even when turned off it was blocking somehow so
> I uninstalled it and it all works.

Ah well ... thanks :)
Now why do I always rant about virus scanner programs that don't do virus
scanning very well, but otherwise want to be everything but the kitchen
sink?

kráftéé 11-07-2007 12:35 AM

Re: xp home network problem

Matt wrote:
> "wisdomkiller & pain" <nomail.20.eatallspam@spamgourmet.com> wrote
> in message news:4393856.ncvW7TppW9@woodpecker.motzarella.org. ..
>> Matt wrote:
>>
>>> Main PC hardwired into Actiontec GT704-WG router/modem combo and
>>> Laptop on
>>> wireless. File sharing set on and folders set to shared,
>>> workgroup are the
>>> same. Unable to see shared folders from either PC or Laptop and
>>> cannot ping to laptop but I can ping from laptop to PC. Also
>>> tried same setup with ubuntu on Main PC with same result.
>>> Firewall on router and xp both off.
>>>
>>> Any ideas appreciated.
>>>

>> On both computers do a "ipconfig /all" from the commandline.
>> Come back with the results.
>>

> It was Mcafee's firewall! Even when turned off it was blocking
> somehow so I uninstalled it and it all works.
>
> Thanks to all

It happens to us all, my last one had me berating my router, when it
was the firewall box which had locked up.