Velocity Reviews

-   -   Several Access Points - channel settings? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t54472-several-access-points-channel-settings.html)

SteBar 01-26-2006 12:33 AM

Several Access Points - channel settings?

Our School is going wireless, so that the pupils can use wireless
laptops in any classroom and connect to our ADSL router etc

We aim to install several Wireless Access Points around the school,
should they all be set to the same channel e.g. Ch 6 - or should each
Access Point have a different channel?

Sooner Al [MVP] 01-26-2006 10:36 AM

Re: Several Access Points - channel settings?

Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a different
channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

SteBar 01-26-2006 09:02 PM

Re: Several Access Points - channel settings?

Al - thanks for the prompt reply, but what is the reasoning behind using
different channels on each Access Point?

Dave 01-26-2006 11:01 PM

Re: Several Access Points - channel settings?

that minimizes rf interferance between the access points where they overlap
coverage. and the clients will search all the frequencies for the access
points anyway.

SteBar 01-27-2006 01:11 AM

Re: Several Access Points - channel settings?

Dave - thanks for that, but am I right in assuming that if a client
(Laptop PC) is "in between" several Access Points, it will search for
and connect to the Access Point with the strongest signal?

Frankster 01-27-2006 04:18 PM

Re: Several Access Points - channel settings?

> Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a different
> channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.

Hi Al,

From what I hear, Windows Zero Configuration has mucho trouble when
presented with multiple points with the same SSID. Wouldn't it be better to
use different SSIDS? Just curious.

-Frank