Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sharing works 1-way (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t544231-sharing-works-1-way.html)

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?= 10-14-2007 09:13 PM

Sharing works 1-way

Hello, several weeks ago, I received INVALUABLE assistance from an MVP to set
up wireless network to share wireless broadband (TY Lem); however now my
problem is that file/print sharing does not work both ways. I hope the
details below are not too much.

PC 1 runs XP Pro SP2 & is wired to a wireless router. Laptop runs MCE 2005
SP2 & connects to router with wireless adapter. There's a 3rd PC, but not a
problem for now. All computers can share wireless broadband for internet.

I successfully configured network so I can share files & folders (even some
programs) that reside on PC1 from the laptop, but I can't do the reverse. I
can't share printer connected to the laptop with PC1 nor can I access the
laptop's Shared Documents folder from PC1. On the laptop, I've shared the
printer. When I open Printers & Faxes, the printer shows as shared, as does
Shared Documents folder under My Computer. When I'm in Control
Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management, under Shared Folders>Shares,
I see 3 symbols/icons, 1 for printer, 1 for Shared Docs, & the other I don’t
know, ma

When I then go to PC1's Network Places, the laptop's Shared Documents folder
does not appear, however the Shared Documents folder from PC3 appears. When
I open the workgroup, I can see the laptop by its name. When I try to open
the laptop from within the workgroup I get a message that says: "logon
failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this
computer"

When I open Printers and Faxes on PC1, the printer connected to PC3 is there
(all by itself after network set-up), but not the printer attached to laptop.
When I try to add the printer by opening Printers and Faxes on PC1>Add
Printer>Network>Browse - I can see the laptop printer's name. When I click
next, I get a pop-up for Connect to MyNotebook (laptop's name), with the
username as MyNotebook\Guest Account and a spot to enter password. The
laptop's Guest account has no password, nor do I recall being asked when I
set it up/enabled it, so I click next. I then get the following error
message with 1 of those awful Windows Red Xs - Connect to Printer - Windows
cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed. The Guest
account is also set up on PC1, again, with no password.

If I try to access PC3's printer from PC1, I can see that there are no
pending documents to print there (have not tried to print from PC1>PC3's
printer as PC3 is about 100' - yes 100' & outside in hubby's cave from PC1).

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Since I can access PC1
files & folders from laptop, but not vice versa, I can't image that I'm too
far off in getting this completed. BTW File & Print Sharing is set in the
Widows Firewall (only Firewall), & File & Print Sharing is installed (if
that's the correct word) in the laptop's wireless adapter.

Sorry if so long-winded, but I thought the above relevant, but maybe not,
that's why I'm here.

Thanks
Diane

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?= 10-16-2007 05:33 PM

RE: Sharing works 1-way

Can't anyone point me in the right direction? I have not been able to find
too much info about sharing with MCE 2005 SP2, & I'm thinking it's my problem
- something I have not properly set.

Lem 10-17-2007 09:07 PM

Re: Sharing works 1-way

Hi. I've been off the grid for a while, but I see that no one has
responded to you since last Sunday.

I can't remember ... did you run the Network Setup Wizard on the laptop
(NOT the wireless network setup wizard)? If you didn't, run it. Among
other things, that enables the Guest account on the laptop. It also
properly configures Windows firewall to permit file and printer sharing.

The two things that come to mind for your problem are that either there
is a firewall blocking access to your laptop's files/printers or the
Guest account on the laptop has been disabled (or has had its default
rights changed).

I know that you said that Windows Firewall is configured to allow file &
printer sharing and is the only firewall, but double check -- on the
laptop -- to make sure WF is properly configured and that there is no
other firewall running. Some antivirus apps (notoriously Norton)
include an "Internet Worm Protection" feature that is, in fact, a
firewall and must be configured to permit local network traffic. Take a
look at Task Manager, and identify all the running processes to see if
one of them might be a firewall.

As for the Guest Account, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281248/en-us

You can also take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489/en-us

Note that there is a difference between the Guest Account being
"disabled" and "off" (or not shown on the Fast User Switching Welcome
Screen). For Simple File Sharing (XP Home, XP MCE, and default in XP
Pro) to work, the Guest Account must be *enabled* but need not be shown
on the Welcome screen (and it may be indicated as "off" if you go to
Control Panel | User Accounts).

If none of the above helps, try MVP Hans Georg Michna's Network Problem
Solver at http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Lem 10-18-2007 01:35 AM

Re: Sharing works 1-way

For a succinct, comprehensive description of what I was trying to
explain, see MVP Chuck's web site at:
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...xp.html#Simple
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-xp.html#Help

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?= 10-18-2007 11:58 PM

Re: Sharing works 1-way

Thank you Lem. I will print & study. I've come a long way since you 1st
helped, in that the laptop will share programs & files from the PC1 (XP Pro)
- all by myself :-). BTW hubby's PC in cave shares internet without range
booster equipment.

I may have solved part of the problem, at least the inability to share the
printer connected to the laptop with PC1. In reading
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html - sharing I believe that because this is an AIO
Dell scanner/printer, that I may be experiencing the inability to share the
printer on the network, especially since when I access hubby's printer from
PC1 (although also a printer/scanner/fax), that I get to the point that I am
asked if I want to install the print drivers. Unfortunately, printing to
printer 100' from house is not practical.

I did run the network set-up wizard on the laptop. When on the PC1, Control
Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Shared Folders>Sessions, the
notebook appears, hover the reverse is not true.

The Guest account is enabled on both the laptop & PC1. I can log on & off
my account to the Guest account on both.

When I check the Windows Firewall on the laptop, under exceptions, File &
Print sharing has a check mark next to it. My virus software has a firewall,
but as I read the settings, I disabled them. Will have to look into that
some more, as from what you say, & what I've read (for 2 wks now), it seems
to be just about the only thing that makes sense, & only other thing on
taskbar that could be a firewall.

Thanks again. Will post back if I get it working. Might help someone else.
I wonder how many other trying to share an All In One printer are having the
sharing issue I spent 2 weeks beating my head against the wall with.

Diane

Lem 10-19-2007 05:03 PM

Re: Sharing works 1-way

Good luck, Diane. Fro what I understand, the main issue in sharing AIO
devices over a network is with respect to scanning. Sharing the
printing function "should" work. You generally do have to install the
printer driver on each computer.

Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?= 10-20-2007 05:06 PM

Re: Sharing works 1-way

I'm still stuck. The firewall in virus software was disabled (I get warning
about protection status). To be doubly sure, I disabled its firewall in
Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Services &
Applications> Services, & rebooted. When I access virus software it tells me
firewall is disabled.

Even with that firewall & the Windows Firewall disabled I can't access
laptop from PC1 (XP Pro).

Where can I find more information on whether the Guest Account rights on the
laptop are properly set?

Is there a way to undo the Guest account set-up on laptop & start all over
again?

When on PC1 & I look at Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security
Policy>User Rights Assignment >Policy of "access this computer from the
network" the Security Setting, has 5 separate users/groups (for lack of a
better description), but when I look at the same thing on the laptop, under
Security Setting, there are no users/groups. Is the PC 1 setting specific to
XP Pro, is that why the laptop (MCE) reads differently?

Could any of this be the reason that when I try to open the laptop from
within the workgroup on PC1 that I get a message that says: "logon failure:
the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

When going to http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm to try to troubleshoot this issue,
what OS do select? The options are XP Home or XP Pro, but the laptop is MCE
2005. As I've been trying to research this on these boards, Microsoft site,
etc, it seems like MCE is rarely mentioned.

Right now SFS is enabled on laptop. Is that the correct setting? Again,
not knowing whether MCE works like XP Pro or XP Home is confusing.

Thanks

BTW, I think with this Dell AIO, as I very briefly read on the Dell forums,
even the print function does not work on a network. I'll only really give up
hope once I'm able to access the laptop's shared files & folders from PC1.
Only then will I really know the answer, right?

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?= 10-20-2007 05:52 PM

Re: Sharing works 1-way

Observation: in looking at hubby's PC in cave, which is XP Home, I see that
it does not have Local Security Policy like PC1 & the laptop. Have I
answered one of my questions above in that the MCE laptop functions more like
XP Pro than XP Home?

Lem 10-20-2007 06:36 PM

Re: Sharing works 1-way

MCE is based on XP Pro but (like Home) doesn't allow joining a domain.
As far as file sharing is concerned, XP Pro offers two choices: "simple
file sharing" (which is all you get in XP Home) and "classic" or "NTFS"
file sharing. The default in XP Pro is Simple File Sharing. If you
right click any file (e.g., a Word doc) and select properties, if you
have a "Security" tab, than you are in XP Pro and using classic file
sharing. If there is no security tab, you either are in Home or in Pro
with simple file sharing enabled. In Pro, to enable/disable SFS, go to
Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder Options > View and scroll down to the
bottom check box to "use simple file sharing."

If SFS is enabled, you need the Guest account. If classic NTFS file
sharing is in effect, then you need identical (username AND password)
accounts on each computer.

Chuck's website
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-network.html
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...al-advice.html
has tons of useful info and presents a logical way of diagnosing network
problems. It takes a bit of reading, and I find the organization a bit
difficult to follow, but for someone who's masted the IRC, that should
be easy!

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?= 10-20-2007 10:45 PM

Re: Sharing works 1-way

YIPPEE ! ! ! SUCCESS ! ! !

Thanks for the vote of confidence. As it worked out, the IRC is definitely
easier than figuring out this problem. I'd been to Chuck's site(s) a number
of times, & had some trouble following it, but I'm not sure if I started at
the right place. This has been in the works for at least 2 weeks now, so
I've been to lots & lots of sites for help.

Before above success, I was about to write: In order to get laptop to share
files with PC1, I disabled SFS on PC1, & changed the user account & password
on both machines via Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer
Management>Local Users & Groups>Users. I thought this would then also allow
laptop's shared files to be accessed from PC1, since it worked the other way
around, but it did not.

It turned out to be what I questioned earlier today about User Rights:
"When on PC1 & I look at Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security
Policy>User Rights Assignment >Policy of "access this computer from the
network" the Security Setting has 5 separate users/groups (for lack of a
better description), but when I look at the same thing on the laptop, under
Security Setting, there are no users/groups. Is the PC 1 setting specific to
XP Pro, is that why the laptop (MCE) reads differently?"

Your confirmation that MCE is based on XP Pro, & your having mentioned
earlier that the Guest Account's default settings might have changed prompted
me to look at this further, especially since disabling both firewalls still
did not allow PC1 to share files with laptop. It did not make sense to me
that if the MCE functions for the most part like XP Pro & PC1 had 5
users/groups listed under "access this computer from network," that the
laptop should have none.

I also recall reading in http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm that on an XP Pro
machine with the logon failure…. I mentioned that, & I quote: "two user
rights policies are responsible for the error message," so my accountant's
brain put 2 & 2 together & decided to edit the laptop's User Rights
Assignment for "access this computer from network." Sure enough, when I
added the 5 users/groups that are supposed to be there by default & that was
not easy, as they did not appear under the Advanced until I clicked on Object
Type and placed a check mark next to Groups for each once I added, when I
went to PC1 I could open the laptop from within the workgroup, along with the
files/folders I'd shared on the laptop for testing purposes. The only thing
that I can think of that would have changed this is the installation of the
virus software, as its firewall has a component for "trusting" computers on
the network. I'm guessing that for that component to work it may have
deleted all the users/groups from the above policy. No wonder so many people
are having problems even after reading some of the MVP's blogs. It's not
always something simple that the user has missed. I don't think this was a
simple problem to solve, but others may disagree.

In addition to the laptop's folders/files I shared, the laptop's printer
also appeared, & once I installed the drivers, like you thought, even though
an All In One, the print function does work over the network (successfully
printed test page). Now I can give daughter the printer connected to PC1. I
have a very nice scanner attached to PC1, so don't need the scanning function
on laptop's AOI.

I still have some tweaking so that I don't have to go through workgroup to
get to shared files, but that should be a breeze now that this is working.

Thanks again for your help. Not only were you the only one to respond, you
pointed me in the right direction & got my brain thinking about what made
sense & what did not. Applause! Applause! Can you hear me clapping? Take
your curtain call; you deserve it.

Diane