Velocity Reviews

-   -   Importing mail rules into Thunderbird from Outlook Express (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t543935-importing-mail-rules-into-thunderbird-from-outlook-express.html)

GbH 10-12-2007 10:26 PM

Importing mail rules into Thunderbird from Outlook Express

Can you help me please, I've tried looking for a relevant post or two on
the subject but can't find any.
I have used Outlook Express for many years now and lived with its many
failings. One of its attractions was being able to handle news as well
as email.
I understand Thunderbird is also able to achieve this. I did try TB a
while back but found I couldn't import my mail rules, not that I could
get them out of OE at that time, but that's a different story.
I have a veritable forest of folders and rules.
Is there a way of doing this export/import? A supplementary question,
when importing existing messages from the OE message store does the
folder structure come over? I'm currently up to OE6.
TIA Geoff Hannington.

--
Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I wish I could
remember the darn question

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 10-13-2007 06:36 AM

Re: Importing mail rules into Thunderbird from Outlook Express

GbH wrote:
> Can you help me please, I've tried looking for a relevant post or two on
> the subject but can't find any.
> I have used Outlook Express for many years now and lived with its many
> failings. One of its attractions was being able to handle news as well
> as email.
> I understand Thunderbird is also able to achieve this. I did try TB a
> while back but found I couldn't import my mail rules, not that I could
> get them out of OE at that time, but that's a different story.
> I have a veritable forest of folders and rules.
> Is there a way of doing this export/import? A supplementary question,
> when importing existing messages from the OE message store does the
> folder structure come over? I'm currently up to OE6.
> TIA Geoff Hannington.

I don't know if you can import Rules [in TB they're called
Filters], but did you try Tools, Import?

As for mail, yes, and again, try Tools, Import. But I
believe everything will be imported into a directory called
Outlook which will be placed under the Local Folders

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

GbH 10-13-2007 10:29 AM

Re: Importing mail rules into Thunderbird from Outlook Express

In news:fepou0$j8c$2@news.datemas.de,
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wibbled :
> GbH wrote:
>> Can you help me please, I've tried looking for a relevant post or
>> two on the subject but can't find any.
>> I have used Outlook Express for many years now and lived with its
>> many failings. One of its attractions was being able to handle news
>> as well as email.
>> I understand Thunderbird is also able to achieve this. I did try TB a
>> while back but found I couldn't import my mail rules, not that I
>> could get them out of OE at that time, but that's a different story.
>> I have a veritable forest of folders and rules.
>> Is there a way of doing this export/import? A supplementary question,
>> when importing existing messages from the OE message store does the
>> folder structure come over? I'm currently up to OE6.
>> TIA Geoff Hannington.
>>

> I don't know if you can import Rules [in TB they're called
> Filters], but did you try Tools, Import?

At the time, yes I did. It managed to import my messages but not the
message store structure. IIRC it got my account/connection info, but
failed spectacularly on rules or filters.
I was asking in the hopes this mechanism had been addressed in a later
rev.
I have maybe a thousand folders each with its own rule(s), recoding each
manually is not awfully attractive!

GbH 10-13-2007 11:40 AM

Re: Importing mail rules into Thunderbird from Outlook Express

In news:13h17g1gsc8lt8c@corp.supernews.com,
GbH <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> wibbled :
> In news:fepou0$j8c$2@news.datemas.de,
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wibbled :
>> GbH wrote:
>>> Can you help me please, I've tried looking for a relevant post or
>>> two on the subject but can't find any.
>>> I have used Outlook Express for many years now and lived with its
>>> many failings. One of its attractions was being able to handle news
>>> as well as email.
>>> I understand Thunderbird is also able to achieve this. I did try TB
>>> a while back but found I couldn't import my mail rules, not that I
>>> could get them out of OE at that time, but that's a different story.
>>> I have a veritable forest of folders and rules.
>>> Is there a way of doing this export/import? A supplementary
>>> question, when importing existing messages from the OE message
>>> store does the folder structure come over? I'm currently up to OE6.
>>> TIA Geoff Hannington.
>>>

>> I don't know if you can import Rules [in TB they're called
>> Filters], but did you try Tools, Import?

> At the time, yes I did. It managed to import my messages but not the
> message store structure. IIRC it got my account/connection info, but
> failed spectacularly on rules or filters.
> I was asking in the hopes this mechanism had been addressed in a later
> rev.
> I have maybe a thousand folders each with its own rule(s), recoding
> each manually is not awfully attractive!
>

>> As for mail, yes, and again, try Tools, Import. But I
>> believe everything will be imported into a directory called
>> Outlook which will be placed under the Local Folders

Just installed 2.0.0.0.0.6?
I can verify it imports my folders with their structure and contents,
also my address book again with structure and contents. I doesn't manage
to acquire my filters, nor surprisingly my accounts information so I
can't actually receive nor send email with it. So basically its got hold
of the data but I can't do much with it.
Should I be attaching add-ons to accomplish these things?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 10-13-2007 05:29 PM

GbH wrote:
> In news:13h17g1gsc8lt8c@corp.supernews.com,
> GbH <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> wibbled :
>> In news:fepou0$j8c$2@news.datemas.de,
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
>> <peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wibbled :
>>>>
>>> I don't know if you can import Rules [in TB they're called
>>> Filters], but did you try Tools, Import?

>> At the time, yes I did. It managed to import my messages but not the
>> message store structure. IIRC it got my account/connection info, but
>> failed spectacularly on rules or filters.
>> I was asking in the hopes this mechanism had been addressed in a later
>> rev.
>> I have maybe a thousand folders each with its own rule(s), recoding
>> each manually is not awfully attractive!
>>
>>> As for mail, yes, and again, try Tools, Import. But I
>>> believe everything will be imported into a directory called
>>> Outlook which will be placed under the Local Folders

> Just installed 2.0.0.0.0.6?
> I can verify it imports my folders with their structure and contents,
> also my address book again with structure and contents. I doesn't manage
> to acquire my filters, nor surprisingly my accounts information so I
> can't actually receive nor send email with it. So basically its got hold
> of the data but I can't do much with it.
> Should I be attaching add-ons to accomplish these things?

add-ons: you can look for something:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

you can search mozillazine:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Knowledge_Base

you can search mozillazine forums:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/search.php?mode=results

you can ask a question of the forum, or you can try asking
on the mozilla.support.thunderbird newsgroup which is on the
news.mozilla.org server.