Velocity Reviews

-   -   phpbb login from ASP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t543062-phpbb-login-from-asp.html)

nospam 10-09-2007 05:20 PM

phpbb login from ASP

Hello,

I need to login to phpbb Forum when user clicks a ASP:Login control.

I can do this by posting a form to phpbb/login.php with username and
password ( the user & password I know ).

My problem is that this has to be on an ASP page. I don't think you can
embed forms within other forms.

I am able to Response.Redirect("login.php?username=foo;passward =bar")
but the problem is that the URL with password shows up in the browser URL
window.

I tried also the PostbackUrl of a link button and that shows up as well.

Anyone know how to suppress the URL from showing in the window?

Anyone sync'd up several logins at once or have any ideas?

Thanks,
bruce

Mark Rae [MVP] 10-09-2007 05:33 PM

Re: phpbb login from ASP

"nospam" <no@spam.org> wrote in message news:fLOOi.4753$44.2740@trnddc04...

> I don't think you can embed forms within other forms.

You certainly can, but only one form can be an ASP.NET server-side form
(i.e. with runat="server").

This is actually more common than you might imagine, especially in
e-commerce apps where you need to post to a payment gateway, e.g.

1) Go to http://www.inthecage.co.uk

2) Click Merch

3) Add a product to the cart

4) Click View cart

You'll see the HTML form inside the ASP.NET form

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

nospam 10-09-2007 06:21 PM

Re: phpbb login from ASP

Mark,
Thanks for the info.

I tried to nest the phpbb login form within an ASP:form and received an error:

Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

Sounds like ASP 2.0 is making sure the post is valid. Not sure about these extra hoops - ClientScriptManager, etc. It seems reading up on that, the RegisterForEventValidation is used for Javascript.

Basically my forms in markup looklike :

<form id="form1" runat="server">

<form action="phpbb2/login.php" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">

<input type="hidden" name="username" value="bruce"><br />

<input type="hidden" name="password" value="bruce"><br />

<input type="submit" value="login" name="login">

</form>

</form>

When I click on the login button, I get the nasty error above.
I can run the form by itself and it runs ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
bruce

nospam 10-09-2007 06:29 PM

Re: phpbb login from ASP

Interesting. I put the Page directive EnableEventValidation=false at the top of that HTML page,
and it works. I guess this will do.

So the nested Forms do work. I guess I'm not sure conceptually what a server side form is.
Is it just a collection of server side controls?

Later,
bruce

bruce barker 10-09-2007 06:45 PM

Re: phpbb login from ASP

xhtml/html does not support nested forms. a page can have more than one
form, but they can not be nested.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

nospam 10-09-2007 07:26 PM

Re: phpbb login from ASP

Bruce-
Thanks for clarifying
But I guess you can have an html Form embedded in a Asp:Form ( runat
server).

-bruce.