Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer problem: reset on boot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t542909-computer-problem-reset-on-boot.html)

Rob 10-09-2007 03:02 AM

Computer problem: reset on boot

Hey all,

A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
reboots--its an infinite cycle!

So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
wasn't the problem.

I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
problem is in the hard drive.

Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
drive.

Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?

Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?

Thanks!

Rob

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 10-09-2007 03:17 AM

Re: Computer problem: reset on boot

Rob <robertborgersen@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
>restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
>But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
>reboots--its an infinite cycle!
>
>So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
>wasn't the problem.
>
>I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
>to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
>the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
>problem is in the hard drive.
>
>Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
>old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
>at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
>reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
>bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
>drive.
>
>Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
>it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?
>
>Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
>connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?

This can happen if you have a corrupt user profile - it's a secutiry
feature :)

Food Fight
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8040355&size=l

Rob 10-09-2007 04:00 AM

On Oct 8, 10:17 pm, Pennyw...@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
> Rob <robertborger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hey all,

> >A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
> >restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
> >But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
> >reboots--its an infinite cycle!

> >So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
> >wasn't the problem.

> >I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
> >to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
> >the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
> >problem is in the hard drive.

> >Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
> >old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
> >at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
> >reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
> >bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
> >drive.

> >Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
> >it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?

> >Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
> >connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?

> This can happen if you have a corrupt user profile - it's a secutiry
> feature :)http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;811151
>
> --
>
> Food Fighthttp://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1208040355&size=l

uh...did you read what I said? Perhaps what I said wasn't clear. As
soon as the computer finishes the bios startup, and would normally
show "Windows XP" (WAY before you get to the "log in" page), it
reboots.

CM 10-09-2007 05:26 AM

Re: Computer problem: reset on boot

Since you can boot to the newly installed Windows XP on the new HDD as
Master and the old problematic hdd as slave, try to access the old HDD
through the "My Computer" of the new system and see if you can save the
personal data from it onto the new HDD or removable media (CD/DVD/Flash
drive ) . Next using RIGHT-click My Computerr>Manage > Disk Management see
if you can repartition and reforamt that old HDD. If you could do that you
might be able to reinstall ( image current working partition and clone it
back on the old HDD. ) the System. Otherwise leave the current system in
place and remove and discard the dead HDD.
CM
news:1191898972.937409.13010@o80g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...

Ben Myers 10-09-2007 06:18 AM

Re: Computer problem: reset on boot

"Rob" <robertborgersen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1191898972.937409.13010@o80g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...
> Hey all,
> A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
> restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
> But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
> reboots--its an infinite cycle!
> So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
> wasn't the problem.
> I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
> to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
> the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
> problem is in the hard drive.

<snip>

Most hard drive manufacturers have diagnostic software available
for download.

Maxtor and Seagate http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/
Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/inde...n&pid=999&swid

Ben

PeeCee 10-09-2007 08:21 AM

"CM" <CM@discussions.miscrosoft.com> wrote in message
news:ShEOi.1452$lE2.1278@newssvr22.news.prodigy.ne t...
> Since you can boot to the newly installed Windows XP on the new HDD as
> Master and the old problematic hdd as slave, try to access the old HDD
> through the "My Computer" of the new system and see if you can save the
> personal data from it onto the new HDD or removable media (CD/DVD/Flash
> drive ) . Next using RIGHT-click My Computerr>Manage > Disk Management see
> if you can repartition and reforamt that old HDD. If you could do that you
> might be able to reinstall ( image current working partition and clone it
> back on the old HDD. ) the System. Otherwise leave the current system in
> place and remove and discard the dead HDD.
> CM
> "Rob" <robertborgersen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1191898972.937409.13010@o80g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...
>> Hey all,
>>
>> A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
>> restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
>> But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
>> reboots--its an infinite cycle!
>>
>> So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
>> wasn't the problem.
>>
>> I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
>> to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
>> the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
>> problem is in the hard drive.
>>
>> Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
>> old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
>> at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
>> reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
>> bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
>> drive.
>>
>> Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
>> it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?
>>
>> Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
>> connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Rob

May I respectfully suggest you reread the OP, particulary this paragraph:

"Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo."

P.

old man 10-09-2007 08:55 AM

Re: Computer problem: reset on boot

Try connecting old hd via usb enclosure
It *may* enable you to recover data providing its not totally shot

Also there are some bootable utilities on www.bootdisk.com that may assist
in recovering data

Of course you can tell your friend that the best way to recover data is from
a backup :(

news:1191902454.035177.119490@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...

cineman 10-09-2007 06:08 PM

Re: Computer problem: reset on boot

"Rob" <robertborgersen@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191898972.937409.13010@o80g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...
> Hey all,
>
> A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
> restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
> But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
> reboots--its an infinite cycle!

SNIP

I had this problem shortly after downloading and installing free software,
it asked to reboot to complete install, which i did, and had same problem.
Pressing f5 or f8 I got into safe mode, and uninstalled the software, also
ran adaware se personal edition. Spybot S&D, and ccleaner.
rebooted back into normal mode all was well.
Not saying this is same fault but worth a try before stripping HD out,

chuckcar 10-09-2007 07:15 PM

Re: Computer problem: reset on boot

Rob <robertborgersen@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1191898972.937409.13010@o80g2000hse.googlegro ups.com:

> Hey all,
>
> A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
> restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
> But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
> reboots--its an infinite cycle!
>
> So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
> wasn't the problem.
>
> I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
> to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
> the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
> problem is in the hard drive.
>
> Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
> old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
> at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
> reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
> bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
> drive.
>
> Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
> it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?
>
> Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
> connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rob

Try try FDISK/MBR from safe mode command prompt only with *only* the
questionable drive connected. Then try running scandisk on the drive
from safe mode command prompt only (doing a *full* scan including *all*
sectors). If noting is amiss there, you will have to remove the
partition and add it again. Of course if that fails then the drive is
dead. But try doing a virus/spyware scan if you can using a USB
enclosure first, Hooking up the drive after all booting is complete.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Gaius Baltar 10-09-2007 11:50 PM

Re: Computer problem: reset on boot

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 20:02:52 -0700, Rob <robertborgersen@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
>restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
>But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
>reboots--its an infinite cycle!

The first things you would normall try is to press F8 (once a second)
as the PC is starting up until the WIndows XP troubleshooting menu
appears.

Then try Last Known Good Configuration.

If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode.

If either of the above work its a Windows corruption problem, you
might be able to fix by booting from the Windows CD and doing a Repair
install (NOT Repair using Recovery Console). You will need to
reinstall all Windows high-priority updates afterwards.

Otherwise, yeah, it's probably hardware...

gb