Velocity Reviews

-   -   Making a <td> as small a width as possible (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t542346-making-a-td-as-small-a-width-as-possible.html)

Nathan Sokalski 10-06-2007 12:37 AM

Making a <td> as small a width as possible

I have a <td> that contains several elements, some of which are
left-aligned, right-aligned, or centered. I do not know the widths of these
elements beforehand, so I cannot give my <td> a fixed width. I want the <td>
to have as small a width as possible without causing anything to wrap, but
IE seems to want to make it bigger. Does anybody know of a good way to
prevent a <td> from being stretched to a larger width than necessary?
Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

Mark Rae [MVP] 10-06-2007 01:16 AM

Re: Making a <td> as small a width as possible

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message

[cross-posting removed]

>I have a <td> that contains several elements, some of which are
>left-aligned, right-aligned, or centered. I do not know the widths of these
>elements beforehand, so I cannot give my <td> a fixed width. I want the
>but IE seems to want to make it bigger. Does anybody know of a good way to
>prevent a <td> from being stretched to a larger width than necessary?

A <td> will expand to fit its contents. However, if other rows have more
data in the corresponding cell, then obviously the entire column will expand
to fit the contents of the largest cell.

Check in View Source for what markup is actually being included in the cell
in question...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Nathan Sokalski 10-06-2007 02:20 AM

Re: Making a <td> as small a width as possible

Here is an example of a <td> using more space than necessary:

style="width:500px;height:500px;background-color:Orange;">&nbsp;</div>

You will notice that neither the table or td has a set width, but the float
right hangs over the edge of the div. The table could easily be no more than
the width of the div (in this case 500px) and still fit both span tags in.
Do the floats have anything to do with the problem? I use floats because I
want the spans on the left and right of the same line, and in my code the
width of the div is dynamic (my code also involves more cells than this).

Singapore Web Design 10-06-2007 11:04 AM

Re: Making a <td> as small a width as possible

Hello,

If the containing table and td have no width set, the td width will be the
size of the column.

To prevent the wrapping, use the nowrap attribute. See
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/tables/_TD_NOWRAP.html

--
Singapore Web Design
http://www.bootstrike.com/Webdesign/

Alexey Smirnov 10-06-2007 12:36 PM

On Oct 6, 4:20 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokal...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here is an example of a <td> using more space than necessary:

> style="width:500px;height:500px;background-color:Orange;"> </div>

Hi Nathan

you have to set clear:both to make the div element go below

color:Orange;">

Hope it helps