Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wired and wireless (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5423-wired-and-wireless.html)

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZhdG92aWM=?= 01-11-2005 12:07 AM

Wired and wireless

I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
(data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an SMC
wireless router I can use.

My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do not
have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup, but
my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
current peer to peer configuration?

Thank you,

David

Carey Holzman 01-11-2005 01:44 AM

Re: Wired and wireless

Yes.
Follow the steps on each PC at:

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

Robert Jacobs 01-11-2005 01:58 AM

Re: Wired and wireless

If you are using a wireless router, your not peer to peer.

=?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?= 01-11-2005 05:49 AM

Re: Wired and wireless

Did you check IP address?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZhdG92aWM=?= 01-11-2005 02:59 PM

Re: Wired and wireless

Could you please expand on what you mean below? I thought it was always a
peer to peer network unless you had a domain server, and logged onto a domain
when you logged on to windows. Then it was a client server.

Thanks,

David

Robert Jacobs 01-11-2005 11:08 PM

Re: Wired and wireless

No, a peer to peer, or adhoc network, is when two or more computers are
connected together via a crossover cable or wireless to wireless adapters.
When using an access point or router to connect your PCs it is now
considered an enterprise network, you do not have to have a static server as
the AP/Router handles the switching instead of the server.