Velocity Reviews

-   -   Best Camera for NIght Shots? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t541516-best-camera-for-night-shots.html)

Henry 10-02-2007 07:51 PM

Best Camera for NIght Shots?

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my digital camera. I want one that takes good
night shots. My current one is a Sony DSC70 4MP which takes great day
shots but very poor night ones. Budget would be upto $400.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Johnny Lava 10-02-2007 08:05 PM

Re: Best Camera for NIght Shots?

"Henry" <hank755_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:1191354683.557842.85510@50g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to upgrade my digital camera. I want one that takes good
> night shots. My current one is a Sony DSC70 4MP which takes great day
> shots but very poor night ones. Budget would be upto $400.
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

dSLR with a fast lens like a 50mm f 1.4.

Somebody!

Ali 10-02-2007 08:08 PM

Re: Best Camera for NIght Shots?

What do you mean by night shots? What are you shooting at night?

What is it you don't like about the night shots? Noise? Rabbit in the
headlights? Motion blur?

Henry 10-02-2007 08:44 PM

Re: Best Camera for NIght Shots?

I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
can adjust for lowlight.

Thanks

Ali 10-02-2007 08:51 PM

Re: Best Camera for NIght Shots?

Sorry, not going to happen.

As Johnny said, an SLR with a fast lens. Tripod won't help.

news:1191357848.725784.182920@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...

Peter Irwin 10-02-2007 09:07 PM

Re: Best Camera for NIght Shots?

Henry <hank755_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
> artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
> as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
> tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
> hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
> can adjust for lowlight.

As far as I know, none of the compacts can do this
as well as a film camera with an f/2 lens loaded
with Tri-X. But all current digital SLRs with an
f/2 or faster lens are better at it than a film
camera with pushed Tri-X. (The Canon 5D is much
better.)

Get a DLSR if you can, though a film camera
with fast film and a fast lens will still work ok.
You could use an Olympus Stylus Epic (still $80
at B&H) and Tmax 3200 film. (Make sure you turn
off the flash.)

Peter.
--
pirwin@ktb.net

Scott W 10-02-2007 09:10 PM

Henry wrote:
> I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
> artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
> as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
> tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
> hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
> can adjust for lowlight.
>
> Thanks

You might want to look at the Fuji F40fd, I have one of these and it
does far better then most point and shoots in low light. It is not as
good as a DSLR but Costco has them for something like $230.

Even a cheap DSLR with a good lens will blow it out of the water
however. When I want good low light photos I use my Canon 350D and a
28mm f/2.8 lens, not the best DLSR or lens for low light but way better
then any P&S.

Scott

Paul Furman 10-02-2007 09:25 PM

Henry wrote:

> I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
> artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
> as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
> tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
> hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
> can adjust for lowlight.

Not slim but relatively small
Used Nikon D50 $400 (Or Canon equivalent)
Used 28mm f/2.8 lens $100

If you can ask the people to hold still, a stabilized P&S should do OK
but those aren't cheap or tiny.

Glen Darlton 10-02-2007 09:37 PM

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:51:36 +0100, "Ali" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Henry" <hank755_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>news:1191357848.725784.182920@57g2000hsv.googlegr oups.com...
>> I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
>> artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
>> as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
>> tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
>> hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
>> can adjust for lowlight.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>Sorry, not going to happen.
>
>As Johnny said, an SLR with a fast lens. Tripod won't help.

Oh look, the uneducated and ignorant DSLR idiots are at it again. They do the
DSLR proud, proving that only idiots buy them.

Yes, it is going to happen and not with a DSLR. It may not be one of the ultra
compact P&S cameras though.

For normal photography look into the Fujifilm FinePix S8000 fd, Fujifilm Finepix
F31fd, and many other of the Fuji line of cameras. They sport high ISO
sensitivity and low noise, equivalent to most DSLRs but using smaller sensors.
This allows you to use faster shutter speeds in lower light conditions to cut
down on that motion blur.

You might also look into any of the Canon P&S cameras that have the IS (image
stabilization) in their name. You won't get as good low-light performance due to
more noise but it allows you to hold your camera more steady. Many people
finding they can easily use them for hand-held shots up to 1 second shutter
speeds. But you have to be pretty steady for that or only use wider-angle zoom
settings so the camera shake isn't amplified so much (the more you zoom-in the
more it also magnifies any camera motion).

If you want to really do "Night Shot" photography, then the Sony H9 is capable
of taking images in total darkness using nothing more than infrared light,
called its "Night Shot" mode. The only thing seen is a small, dim, brownish-red
light that's being emitted by the camera's own built-in infrared LED
illuminator. You can add accessory IR-LED floods for about $40 each to increase
the range to 20-80 feet or more. Keep in mind that these Night Shot photos are
true IR photography. It's also possible to use its IR photo capability in full
daylight using the appropriate filters to reduce the level of IR to within range
of the Night Shot's f-stop and shutter speed limits (a combo of an IR filter to
block all visible light stacked with a Wratten-green to reduce IR intensity
works perfect for all daylight situations). This also means that your "Night
Shot" images are not in full-color. Sony tints the B&W image from this mode in a
greenish color to emulate night-vision scopes, easily removed in post
processing. Though if there is some ambient light available at night then the
visible colors will be detected and recorded but not strongly (the IR light
superseding the full spectrum) The Night-Shot mode also has a brother setting
called the Night-Framing mode, this allows you to focus and compose your shot by
seeing the scene in your viewfinder in TOTAL darkness (something that no DSLR on
earth can do, ever) using just the IR light, then the flash is used to expose
the scene normally. Yes, you can also shoot videos in total darkness using the
H9's Night Shot mode.

It's so refreshing to see these DSLR proponents prove to the world, every chance
they get, that only uneducated, inexperienced, and ignorant dumb****s buy DSLRs.
But then who else but a total dumb**** would buy one when today's P&S cameras
for 1/3rd to 1/20th the price (don't forget those overpriced lenses that you
*must* buy) and 1/4th the weight and size are every bit as good and in many ways
even better than DSLRs.

The Bobert 10-02-2007 10:17 PM

Re: Best Camera for NIght Shots?

In article <1191357848.725784.182920@57g2000hsv.googlegroups. com>,
Henry <hank755_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I know a
> tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
> hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
> can adjust for lowlight.
>
> Thanks

Have you considered a monopod or perhaps a faster lens? 1/60 is about the
slowest shutter that the user can effectively hold the camera steady. With
1/30 you takes yer chances.
--
After four decimal places, who cares?

Bob in Central California