Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: Here's some BS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t541490-ot-heres-some-bs.html)

CBIC 10-02-2007 05:57 PM

OT: Here's some BS

http://michellemalkin.com/2007/09/30...ps-in-oakland/

I don't care how against the war you are, you should still support our
troops. They don't make the policies, they just do the dirty work and
deserve our respect.

Thor 10-02-2007 08:29 PM

Re: Here's some BS

Sorry, I did not get it.
I agree with the respect and all, but I do not get it.
53

CBIC 10-02-2007 08:49 PM

Re: Here's some BS

"Thor" <spam.me@live.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, I did not get it.
> I agree with the respect and all, but I do not get it.
> 53

It appears that these soldiers were not allowed to go into the terminal at
the Oakland airport. They had to exit their plane about 400 yards from the
terminal and remain outside. I don't know the reason for this but find it
outrageous that they were treated this way.

Thor 10-02-2007 10:08 PM

Re: Here's some BS

> "Thor" <spam.me@live.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry, I did not get it.
>> I agree with the respect and all, but I do not get it.
>> 53

> It appears that these soldiers were not allowed to go into the terminal at
> the Oakland airport. They had to exit their plane about 400 yards from the
> terminal and remain outside. I don't know the reason for this but find it
> outrageous that they were treated this way.

Yeah, I agree, still I thought this was normal behavior. If the soldiers
were in uniform, that is. Not much to be sensitive about, that's all. Maybe
there are cultural differences here. Myself I would be proud to showcase
soldiers coming home, of course, but a few guys sitting on the grass for a
couple of hours isn't my kind of a news story. Unless, of course, the
treating of the soldiers is a political statement.
53

BratŪ 10-02-2007 10:11 PM

Re: Here's some BS

And from the Canadian front:

http://tinyurl.com/2rfnq4

or

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...928?hub=Canada

Basically there is a group in New Brunswick that are going door to door
asking people to NOT support our troops!

We support our TROOPS not the government that sent them there... I have a
brother on the way back there AGAIN and 3 uncles who just returned. I have
my veteran plates and my yellow ribbon magnet on my car and I wear my red
support our troops shirt on fridays. I wear my uniform proudly (yes I'm
back in for those that missed it this summer but I am a Cadet officer this
time - I instruct cadets (www.cadets.net)) and I will continue to do so and
I DARE anyone to come to my door and ask/threaten me not to support our men
and women.

No I do not like the war nor do I support the government who sent our
soldiers there but I will DAMN well support them and their families as they
do what they are ordered to do.

There is a HUGE difference between supporting war and supporting troops...
that is why the ribbons say "Support Our Troops" not "Support the War
Effort"... these people are just too damn stuborn and pig headed to hear
what we are saying. I will NOT turn my back on my brother or my uncles
because someone threatened me!

Yeah I'm angry!!

--
BratŪ MCNGP # 69

John R 10-02-2007 10:19 PM

Re: Here's some BS

"Thor" <spam.me@live.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, I did not get it.
> I agree with the respect and all, but I do not get it.
> 53
>
> "CBIC" <spam.thisbiotch@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://michellemalkin.com/2007/09/30...ps-in-oakland/
>>

>> I don't care how against the war you are, you should still support our
>> troops. They don't make the policies, they just do the dirty work and
>> deserve our respect.

I agree with Thor. If you read the whole article, you will find...
"The airport received information that the passengers were not TSA-screened"

It seems to me that it was almost reasonable to hold them in the quarantine
area. That, or take them outside the airport if they wanted and let them
come back in through normal security. Maybe the airport should provide a
seperate security area for these soldiers to come back in where they have
metal detectors and baggage screening machines.

Don't get me wrong, I think each and every one of the soldiers in our
services are heroes and I thank them personally when I run into them. But
that does not preclude seeing to it that each and every passenger in the
secure area of an airport is screened.

John R.

Lnkwizard2 10-03-2007 02:11 PM

Re: Here's some BS

A few points that may have passed you by based on personal
experience and it was contained in the article.

1. The troops and their luggage were screened at their departure
point and then placed in security isolation until they departed the
area. In other words they were checked and then essentially jailed
until they got on the plane.

2. When they were at their layover points at no time did they leave
a secure area. Again their freedom of movement was restricted to areas
where they had no access to "contraband"

3. Any and all weapons present were secured on the aircraft and were
released to the individual troops at their final destination. As you board
the aircraft you check in your weapon to the armorer who then secures it
in a special container. After everyone is on, the container(s) is locked
and
sealed and is not unlocked until you arrive at your final point.

These guys were not a threat and should not have been treated like criminals
just for transiting a minor metropolitan airport. It was some nitwit in the
security
office who had his head jammed in a dark smelly space who wanted to be a
jerk
that caused this as they clearly mentioned that the airport decided to block
them from access.

In addition before it is thrown in my face here is an excerpt with a bit of
commentary:

The airport received information that the passengers were not TSA-screened
at their originating airport and that weapons were on-board the aircraft.
Together with our security partners, the airport made a decision to park
this aircraft at a remote location on the tarmac.

Point A: NO the TSA did not screen them, the US Military did, who
would you rather handle the screening, some underskilled civilian
under pressure to "get those passengers moving" or a well trained
member of the US Military who knows what he is looking for.

Point B: Of course there are weapons on board, these are Marines
for goodness sake. I'd as soon come between a Mama Grizzly bear
and her cubs before I would try and take a Marine's personal weapon,
my chances of survival would be greater. If you don't believe me
ask any US Marine you know about his weapon.

As I said before is was some officious oaf who probably never
served his country who wanted to be beastly to some members of
the military because he doesn't like the war.

Okay, now I am off my soapbox.

Jtyc 10-03-2007 02:30 PM

Re: Here's some BS

> If you don't believe me
> ask any US Marine you know about his weapon.

I used to sleep with mine. Damn uncomfortable too...

CBIC 10-03-2007 02:30 PM

Re: Here's some BS

"Lnkwizard2" <lnk.wizard.nodots.2@hot.mail.com> wrote in message
>A few points that may have passed you by based on personal
> experience and it was contained in the article.

Personally, If I saw a few hundred Marines with their weapons in hand in a
terminal, I'd feel safe. For all I care, they should be allowed to carry
them anywhere they go. The rule should be this: You p!ss off a Marine,
he/she has the right to shoot you.

Jtyc 10-03-2007 02:36 PM

Re: Here's some BS

> Personally, If I saw a few hundred Marines with their weapons in hand in a
> terminal, I'd feel safe. For all I care, they should be allowed to carry
> them anywhere they go. The rule should be this: You p!ss off a Marine,
> he/she has the right to shoot you.

Sounds reasonable.