Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need Help with Wireless Card/Network Problem? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5414-need-help-with-wireless-card-network-problem.html)

=?Utf-8?B?UHJvbW9XaXo=?= 01-10-2005 02:09 PM

Need Help with Wireless Card/Network Problem?

Hi

I am need help solving the following problem.

I work from a home office with 2 computers linked via a D-link router. 2
days ago the wireless connection from laptop (runs on XP Pro) stopped
working for no apparent reason. With the help of Acer America tech support
we noticed when we went into the "device manager" area it showed an error
message when checking the network adapter stating that the device cannot
start (a code 10?). At their request, I uninstalled and re-installed the
network card driver, but the error message still exists. The only thing I
did between the time the network card was working and not working was install
updated software for my Blackberry PDA device. With this in mind, I did a
system restore to 2 days prior to a time when the network card was working.
This did not solve the problem. The brainiacs at Acer then suggested I
back-up all files and wipe out everything on the PC by running my recovery
disks This seems a little drastic!

Any help will be appreciated!

PromoWiz ;-)
--
AR - PromoWiz

Malke 01-10-2005 02:49 PM

Re: Need Help with Wireless Card/Network Problem?

PromoWiz wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am need help solving the following problem.
>
> I work from a home office with 2 computers linked via a D-link router.
> 2
> days ago the wireless connection from laptop (runs on XP Pro) stopped
> working for no apparent reason. With the help of Acer America tech
> support we noticed when we went into the "device manager" area it
> showed an error message when checking the network adapter stating that
> the device cannot
> start (a code 10?). At their request, I uninstalled and re-installed
> the
> network card driver, but the error message still exists. The only
> thing I did between the time the network card was working and not
> working was install
> updated software for my Blackberry PDA device. With this in mind, I
> did a system restore to 2 days prior to a time when the network card
> was working.
> This did not solve the problem. The brainiacs at Acer then suggested
> I back-up all files and wipe out everything on the PC by running my
> recovery
> disks This seems a little drastic!

All lower-level tech support people will eventually tell you to
reinstall Windows just to get you off the phone. Try actually removing
the network adapter from Device Manager and then rebooting to see if it
gets found, and reinstall the drivers.

I'm not familiar with that particular laptop, but many newish laptops
have a button to turn the Wireless function on and off. Make sure yours
is On. If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow a friend's wireless
notebook adapter and install it. If it works, the built-in (?) adapter
may have failed.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

=?Utf-8?B?UHJvbW9XaXo=?= 01-10-2005 03:37 PM

RE: Need Help with Wireless Card/Network Problem?

Thanks for the help Malke. One Question .... what if I remove/uninstall the
network adapter, reboot and then the adapter is NOT found by windows. What
do i do then?

A ;-)

Malke 01-10-2005 04:24 PM

PromoWiz wrote:

> Thanks for the help Malke. One Question .... what if I
> remove/uninstall the
> network adapter, reboot and then the adapter is NOT found by windows.
> What do i do then?

That would indicate that the device is actually broken. At that point,
if it is a built-in device and the machine is still under warranty, you
would call Acer tech support to get it fixed. If it is a separate
wireless adapter, then you would just replace it with a new one.

Malke