Velocity Reviews

-   -   How popular is Django ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t541176-how-popular-is-django.html)

seb.haase@gmail.com 10-01-2007 01:23 PM

How popular is Django ?

Hi!

I was surprised when I did a google-groups search for python,
(
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=Search+Groups
)
it shows these groups:
comp.lang.python with about 11000 users,
and second,
Django users
Discussion group for Django users. Django is a high-level Python
Web ...

with 6500 members !!!!

I cannot believe that django is *that* popular ... where am I going
wrong ?

Cheers,
Sebastian Haase

Diez B. Roggisch 10-01-2007 01:33 PM

Re: How popular is Django ?

seb.haase@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was surprised when I did a google-groups search for python,
> (
> http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=Search+Groups
> )
> it shows these groups:
> comp.lang.python with about 11000 users,
> and second,
> Django users
> Discussion group for Django users. Django is a high-level Python
> Web ...
>
> with 6500 members !!!!
>
> I cannot believe that django is *that* popular ... where am I going
> wrong ?

By assuming that readers of this group (or ML) are a superset of the
django-users.

Diez

Thomas Guettler 10-01-2007 03:06 PM

Re: How popular is Django ?

seb.haase@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was surprised when I did a google-groups search for python,
> (
> http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=Search+Groups
> )
> it shows these groups:
> comp.lang.python with about 11000 users,
> and second,
> Django users
> Discussion group for Django users. Django is a high-level Python
> Web ...
>
> with 6500 members !!!!

comp.lang.python is a usenet group.

django-users is a mailinglist hosted by google.

The number of django-users subscribers can be calculated by google.
But the number of comp.lang.python users can only be guessed.

BTW: I think django is popular. There is a lot of traffic on the list. I
like django, too.

Thomas

--
Thomas Güttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/ http://www.tbz-pariv.de/
Spam Catcher: niemand.leermann@thomas-guettler.de

Bruno Desthuilliers 10-01-2007 03:11 PM

Re: How popular is Django ?

Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
> seb.haase@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was surprised when I did a google-groups search for python,
>> (
>> http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=Search+Groups
>> )
>> it shows these groups:
>> comp.lang.python with about 11000 users,
>> and second,
>> Django users
>> Discussion group for Django users. Django is a high-level Python
>> Web ...
>>
>> with 6500 members !!!!
>>
>> I cannot believe that django is *that* popular ... where am I going
>> wrong ?

> By assuming that readers of this group (or ML) are a superset of the
> django-users.

And by assuming that the (estimated AFAICT) number of c.l.py readers is
representative of the number of Python users...

But Django *is* popular indeed.

Terry Reedy 10-02-2007 02:59 PM

Re: How popular is Django ?

"Thomas Guettler" <guettli.usenet@thomas-guettler.de> wrote in message
seb.haase@gmail.com wrote:

| comp.lang.python is a usenet group.

which means that it is independently hosted on newsservers around the
world.
It is also a mailing list hosted by python.org and a gmane group.

|django-users is a mailinglist hosted by google.

|The number of django-users subscribers can be calculated by google.
|But the number of comp.lang.python users can only be guessed.

Unless Google claims otherwise, I would assume that '11000' is only the
number of people who access c.l.p via Google. And if they did so claim, I
would want to see the algorithm before giving it any credence.

tjr