Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox frame size (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t54115-firefox-frame-size.html)

lugnut 01-18-2006 11:47 PM

Firefox frame size

I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
help would be appreciated

Lugnut

Ed Mullen 01-19-2006 12:00 AM

Re: Firefox frame size

lugnut wrote:
> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
> help would be appreciated
>
> Lugnut

Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
what you're seeing.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Leonidas Jones 01-19-2006 01:40 AM

Re: Firefox frame size

Ed Mullen wrote:
> lugnut wrote:
>> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
>> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
>> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
>> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
>> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
>> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
>> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
>> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
>> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
>> help would be appreciated
>>
>> Lugnut

> Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
> that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
> what you're seeing.

Firefox can also be configured to defeat that, but I agree, it would be
well to have a specific age to look at before offering suggestions.

Lee

lugnut 01-19-2006 04:51 AM

Re: Firefox frame size

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
<ed@edmullen.net> wrote:

>lugnut wrote:
>> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
>> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
>> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
>> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
>> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
>> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
>> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
>> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
>> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
>> help would be appreciated
>>
>> Lugnut

>Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
>that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
>what you're seeing.

I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
would be appreciated.

The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
tinyurl will work. It did for me.

Lugnut

http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

Ed Mullen 01-19-2006 05:59 AM

Re: Firefox frame size

lugnut wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
> <ed@edmullen.net> wrote:
>
>> lugnut wrote:
>>> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
>>> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
>>> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
>>> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
>>> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
>>> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
>>> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
>>> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
>>> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
>>> help would be appreciated
>>>
>>> Lugnut

>> Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
>> that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
>> what you're seeing.

> I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
> looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
> is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
> more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
> too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
> scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
> viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
> can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
> tinyurl will work. It did for me.
>
> Lugnut
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

I went to that URL in SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta and Firefox 1.5, both with
Tabbrowser Extensions installed which forces pop-up windows to open in a
new tab. No problem clicking on the "250 Direct Connect Minutes" link.
It opened in a new tab (instead of a new browser window) as desired. All
content was viewable without problem. No vertical scroll bar, but none
is needed as all the content fit neatly into the pop-up window.

I next launched Firefox in a plain vanilla profile w/o Tabbrowser
Extensions. As suspected, the link opened a pop-up window which had no
sizing or scroll bars available. However, all content was visible w/o
problem.

I then launched IE 6, went to the URL, clicked the same link and a
pop-up window opened with a vertical scroll bar, all content visible.
However, the vertical scroll bar was not functional since all the
content fit in the pop-up window. That's how it's supposed to work.

The link/pop-up window is opened via javascript. I haven't examined the
script closely but it obviously is calling a new window without scroll
bars and with some user controls turned off.

My system:

Windows XP Pro SP2
FF 1.5
SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta
IE 6 fully patched
LCD display at 1280 x 1024

I suspect that the lack of scroll bar in the Mozilla browsers is by
design. That is, since they're not needed the browser simply doesn't
display them. In IE I'm guessing that it displays the vertical scroll
bar by default. Or, the javascript call has code in it that makes IE
show the scroll bar. In which case, the Mozilla browsers are ignoring
it because it's not necessary.

But, near as I can tell everything is operating as intended. If that's
different for you, the first thing I'd check on your end are extensions
and/or themes.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Arne 01-19-2006 09:40 AM

Re: Firefox frame size

Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
> <ed@edmullen.net> wrote:
>
>>lugnut wrote:
>>> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
>>> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
>>> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
>>> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
>>> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
>>> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
>>> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
>>> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
>>> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
>>> help would be appreciated
>>>
>>> Lugnut

>>Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
>>that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
>>what you're seeing.

> I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
> looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
> is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
> more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
> too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
> scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
> viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
> can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
> tinyurl will work. It did for me.
>
> Lugnut
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

I'm using the Suite, but I'll guess this is similar in Firefox.

Try go to about:config (type it in the address bar) and type
"dom.disable_window_open" (without the quotes) in the filter bar.

Among a few other things, you will see the following lines, that I have
change the value from false to true

dom.disable_window_open_feature.location
dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar
dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable
dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable
dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars

When I click on a link that open a small (popup) window, I still have
the scrollbar (if it's needed to see the content) and most other things
on my window, since the settings owerride the designers script for popup
windows.

--
/Arne

* How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

lugnut 01-19-2006 02:17 PM

Re: Firefox frame size

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:40:12 +0100, Arne
<invalid@domain.invalid> wrote:

>Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
>> <ed@edmullen.net> wrote:

>>>Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
>>>that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
>>>what you're seeing.

>> I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
>> looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
>> is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
>> more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
>> too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
>> scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
>> viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
>> can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
>> tinyurl will work. It did for me.
>>
>> Lugnut
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

>I'm using the Suite, but I'll guess this is similar in Firefox.
>
>Try go to about:config (type it in the address bar) and type
>"dom.disable_window_open" (without the quotes) in the filter bar.
>
>Among a few other things, you will see the following lines, that I have
>change the value from false to true
>
>dom.disable_window_open_feature.location
>dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar
>dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable
>dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable
>dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars
>
>When I click on a link that open a small (popup) window, I still have
>the scrollbar (if it's needed to see the content) and most other things
>on my window, since the settings owerride the designers script for popup
>windows.

Thanks for the info. I set each of these values to true -
problem solved. I do not know which was the exact one or
combination that produced the desired results as I have not
had the time to experiment but, now, I won't have to use IE
along with FF on site such as this. I greatly prefer FF
but, do not yet have knowledge of the filtering system.

Thanks, again
Lugnut

lugnut 01-19-2006 02:21 PM

Re: Firefox frame size

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:59:02 -0500, Ed Mullen
<ed@edmullen.net> wrote:

>lugnut wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
>> <ed@edmullen.net> wrote:

>>> Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
>>> that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
>>> what you're seeing.

>> I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
>> looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
>> is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
>> more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
>> too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
>> scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
>> viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
>> can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
>> tinyurl will work. It did for me.
>>
>> Lugnut
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

>I went to that URL in SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta and Firefox 1.5, both with
>Tabbrowser Extensions installed which forces pop-up windows to open in a
>new tab. No problem clicking on the "250 Direct Connect Minutes" link.
>It opened in a new tab (instead of a new browser window) as desired. All
>content was viewable without problem. No vertical scroll bar, but none
>is needed as all the content fit neatly into the pop-up window.
>
>I next launched Firefox in a plain vanilla profile w/o Tabbrowser
>Extensions. As suspected, the link opened a pop-up window which had no
>sizing or scroll bars available. However, all content was visible w/o
>problem.
>
>I then launched IE 6, went to the URL, clicked the same link and a
>pop-up window opened with a vertical scroll bar, all content visible.
>However, the vertical scroll bar was not functional since all the
>content fit in the pop-up window. That's how it's supposed to work.
>
>The link/pop-up window is opened via javascript. I haven't examined the
>script closely but it obviously is calling a new window without scroll
>bars and with some user controls turned off.
>
>My system:
>
>Windows XP Pro SP2
>FF 1.5
>SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta
>IE 6 fully patched
>LCD display at 1280 x 1024
>
>I suspect that the lack of scroll bar in the Mozilla browsers is by
>design. That is, since they're not needed the browser simply doesn't
>display them. In IE I'm guessing that it displays the vertical scroll
>bar by default. Or, the javascript call has code in it that makes IE
>show the scroll bar. In which case, the Mozilla browsers are ignoring
>it because it's not necessary.
>
>But, near as I can tell everything is operating as intended. If that's
>different for you, the first thing I'd check on your end are extensions
>and/or themes.

Thanks for the feedback, Ed. I used the info in Arne's
reply to rest some of the filters to true as they were
originally set to false. Since I am running FF as
installed, those values must be set to false by default
which prevents these windows from opening properly. I reset
all of the values he provided without experimenting so I do
not know which was the problem. I intend to go back later
and experiment with them since I obviously need to gain a
bit more knowledge of the filtering system of FF.

Thanks, again
Lugnut

Arne 01-19-2006 03:47 PM

Re: Firefox frame size

Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:40:12 +0100, Arne
> <invalid@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:

>>> I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
>>> looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
>>> is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
>>> more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
>>> too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
>>> scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
>>> viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
>>> can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
>>> would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
>>> tinyurl will work. It did for me.
>>>
>>> Lugnut
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

>>I'm using the Suite, but I'll guess this is similar in Firefox.
>>
>>Try go to about:config (type it in the address bar) and type
>>"dom.disable_window_open" (without the quotes) in the filter bar.
>>
>>Among a few other things, you will see the following lines, that I have
>>change the value from false to true
>>
>>dom.disable_window_open_feature.location
>>dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar
>>dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable
>>dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable
>>dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars
>>
>>When I click on a link that open a small (popup) window, I still have
>>the scrollbar (if it's needed to see the content) and most other things
>>on my window, since the settings owerride the designers script for popup
>>windows.

> Thanks for the info. I set each of these values to true -
> problem solved. I do not know which was the exact one or
> combination that produced the desired results as I have not
> had the time to experiment but, now, I won't have to use IE
> along with FF on site such as this. I greatly prefer FF
> but, do not yet have knowledge of the filtering system.
>
> Thanks, again
> Lugnut

It's the last one that keep the vertical scrollbars on the window. But I
like to keep also the toolbar, menu and other things that designers
often try to eliminate from popup windows. :)

lugnut 01-19-2006 04:04 PM

Re: Firefox frame size

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:47:30 +0100, Arne
<invalid@domain.invalid> wrote:

>Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:40:12 +0100, Arne
>> <invalid@domain.invalid> wrote:

"snip!!"

>It's the last one that keep the vertical scrollbars on the window. But I
>like to keep also the toolbar, menu and other things that designers
>often try to eliminate from popup windows. :)

Is there some URL or other resource that outlines, explains
or defines each of the settings and filters in FF that I may
use to make it perform as needed?

Lugnut