Velocity Reviews

-   -   Eclipse WebService (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t541124-eclipse-webservice.html)

Peter K 10-01-2007 07:59 AM

Eclipse WebService

Hi

is there a "webservice plugin" for Eclipse?

I would like to find a plugin where I can declare a class and its methods
as a web-service, and then select a menu item "make webservice" or
something, and have all the necessary xml/wsdl created.

Thanks,
Peter

Tomek 10-01-2007 08:52 AM

Re: Eclipse WebService

Try Eclipse STP http://www.eclipse.org/stp/

Manish Pandit 10-01-2007 06:59 PM

Re: Eclipse WebService

On Oct 1, 12:59 am, Peter K <xdz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> is there a "webservice plugin" for Eclipse?
>
> I would like to find a plugin where I can declare a class and its methods
> as a web-service, and then select a menu item "make webservice" or
> something, and have all the necessary xml/wsdl created.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

What you are trying to achieve is called Bottom-up Java Bean Web
Service. If you have eclipse with WTP (Web-Tools Platform), you can
click New -> Other-> Web Services -> Web Service. This will open up a
dialog where you can select the Java Bean to be used as the interface.
Click OK, and Eclipse will create a new web services project with the
WSDL, stubs and the other housekeeping code. It will even prompt to
start a server to deploy the generated service :)

You might want to include other libraries and projects to this project
for the code to work right (like the dependencies, etc.).

-cheers,
Manish

Peter K 10-02-2007 07:12 AM

Re: Eclipse WebService

Manish Pandit <pandit.manish@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1191265154.067027.169980@o80g2000hse.googlegr oups.com:

> What you are trying to achieve is called Bottom-up Java Bean Web
> Service. If you have eclipse with WTP (Web-Tools Platform), you can
> click New -> Other-> Web Services -> Web Service. This will open up a
> dialog where you can select the Java Bean to be used as the interface.
> Click OK, and Eclipse will create a new web services project with the
> WSDL, stubs and the other housekeeping code. It will even prompt to
> start a server to deploy the generated service :)
>
> You might want to include other libraries and projects to this project
> for the code to work right (like the dependencies, etc.).

Thanks for the advice. I found "WTP" on the net, after "Tomek" mentioned
"STP" (which I still haven't yet investigated).

It does seem WTP will achieve what I need (in fact much more I think) -
although it doesn't really seem "intuitive" to use yet. I have managed to
get a couple of do-nothing web-services compiled and installed under
Tomcat, but sometimes when I try to create a web-service I get a "class not
found" error.... probabaly some setup step or something I forget to perform
on occasion.

Thanks,

Peter