Velocity Reviews

-   -   Slow computer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t540827-slow-computer.html)

chb581@gmail.com 09-29-2007 01:23 PM

Slow computer

My compter using XP is VERY slow.
I defraged it, cleaned the register--no himprovement. What can I try
to help?
chb581@gmail.com

rjdriver 09-29-2007 01:50 PM

Re: Slow computer

<chb581@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191072226.790085.250010@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> My compter using XP is VERY slow.
> I defraged it, cleaned the register--no himprovement. What can I try
> to help?
> chb581@gmail.com

Assuming you have plenty of empty harddrive space for virtual memory,
and you don't have too many legitimate programs running in the background
(how many icon are there next to your clock?), I would start by looking for
spyware. Download these two free programs, update the definitions, and scan
with both (don't assume the first one found everything, no matter how much
it finds):

Spybot Search & Destroy -

AdAware -
http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad_aware_free.php

If that hasn't speeded things up or they find nothing serious(only
cookies), try searching for trojans with Stinger. Nothing to update. The
program you download is always current.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

If you still have problems after that, get one of these free anti virus
programs, update the definitions and run a scan:

Anti Vir PE Classic -
http://www.avira.com/en/download/index.html

AVG -
http://free.grisoft.com/

Let us know how it goes. If none of this helps, there are other steps
to take.

Bob