Velocity Reviews

-   -   Transition from Mozilla 1.7 to SeaMonkey (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t54079-transition-from-mozilla-1-7-to-seamonkey.html)

Charani 01-18-2006 08:29 AM

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:21:46 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Note, that is for future releases of SeaMonkey. We have I think, about 8
> months more of security updates of Mozilla 1.7, before it disappears.

Making the transition to SeaMonkey is concerning me a little (being
very non techie). Is it going to be a case of importing a profile
from one to t'other or is it going to be a complete new start from
scratch set up.

Ed Mullen 01-18-2006 05:14 PM

Re: Transition from Mozilla 1.7 to SeaMonkey

Charani wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:21:46 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Note, that is for future releases of SeaMonkey. We have I think, about 8
>> months more of security updates of Mozilla 1.7, before it disappears.

> Making the transition to SeaMonkey is concerning me a little (being
> very non techie). Is it going to be a case of importing a profile
> from one to t'other or is it going to be a complete new start from
> scratch set up.

I am using SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta as my default browser and mail/news
program. It's very stable. It will find your Moz profile and use it
without any problem. The only caveat is to NOT use/share the same
profile among the two programs. I uninstalled Moz after trying SM for a
day. I'm very satisfied.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

gwtc 01-18-2006 05:19 PM

Charani wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:21:46 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>

>>Note, that is for future releases of SeaMonkey. We have I think, about 8
>>months more of security updates of Mozilla 1.7, before it disappears.

> Making the transition to SeaMonkey is concerning me a little (being
> very non techie). Is it going to be a case of importing a profile
> from one to t'other or is it going to be a complete new start from
> scratch set up.

SM should pick up your current Mozilla profile with no problems. IMO
I would wait until the final release comes out. The current versions
are still in the testing stages, and they might cause problems with
your current profile. I know others will disagree with me on that,
and say go ahead and try it out. If you want to go ahead and try it
out, then create a separate profile for testing it out.

Leonidas Jones 01-18-2006 07:46 PM

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Charani wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:21:46 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Note, that is for future releases of SeaMonkey. We have I think,
>>> about 8 months more of security updates of Mozilla 1.7, before it
>>> disappears.

>> Making the transition to SeaMonkey is concerning me a little (being
>> very non techie). Is it going to be a case of importing a profile
>> from one to t'other or is it going to be a complete new start from
>> scratch set up.

> I am using SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta as my default browser and mail/news
> program. It's very stable. It will find your Moz profile and use it
> without any problem. The only caveat is to NOT use/share the same
> profile among the two programs. I uninstalled Moz after trying SM for a
> day. I'm very satisfied.

I installed SeaMonkey and created a new profile for it. Within a week,
that profile had become my main profile. I open Mozilla now only for
the purpose of answering questions.

Lee

Charani 01-19-2006 09:32 AM

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:19:03 -0800, gwtc wrote:

> SM should pick up your current Mozilla profile with no problems. IMO
> I would wait until the final release comes out. The current versions
> are still in the testing stages, and they might cause problems with
> your current profile. I know others will disagree with me on that,
> and say go ahead and try it out. If you want to go ahead and try it
> out, then create a separate profile for testing it out.

Thanks for the reassurances :))

I'll hang on for the final release before giving it a go as I'm wary
of using beta versions although I know they can be stable: my
newsreader,Dialog, is still in beta but is as steady as a rock (says
she, tempting fate!! <G>)

I hope SeaMonkey will be OK running on WinME because that's what I
use. I won't be "upgrading" to XP.

gwtc 01-19-2006 03:53 PM

Charani wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:14:30 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:
>

>>I am using SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta as my default browser and mail/news
>>program. It's very stable. It will find your Moz profile and use it
>>without any problem. The only caveat is to NOT use/share the same
>>profile among the two programs. I uninstalled Moz after trying SM for a
>>day. I'm very satisfied.

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:46:20 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>

>>I installed SeaMonkey and created a new profile for it. Within a week,
>>that profile had become my main profile. I open Mozilla now only for
>>the purpose of answering questions.

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:19:03 -0800, gwtc wrote:
>

>>SM should pick up your current Mozilla profile with no problems. IMO
>>I would wait until the final release comes out. The current versions
>>are still in the testing stages, and they might cause problems with
>>your current profile. I know others will disagree with me on that,
>>and say go ahead and try it out. If you want to go ahead and try it
>>out, then create a separate profile for testing it out.

> Thanks for the reassurances :))
>
> I'll hang on for the final release before giving it a go as I'm wary
> of using beta versions although I know they can be stable: my
> newsreader,Dialog, is still in beta but is as steady as a rock (says
> she, tempting fate!! <G>)
>
> I hope SeaMonkey will be OK running on WinME because that's what I
> use. I won't be "upgrading" to XP.

Some testers are using the beta versions on win98, so that should
answer your question.

Ed Mullen 01-20-2006 03:21 AM

Charani wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:14:30 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> I am using SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta as my default browser and mail/news
>> program. It's very stable. It will find your Moz profile and use it
>> without any problem. The only caveat is to NOT use/share the same
>> profile among the two programs. I uninstalled Moz after trying SM for a
>> day. I'm very satisfied.

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:46:20 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> I installed SeaMonkey and created a new profile for it. Within a week,
>> that profile had become my main profile. I open Mozilla now only for
>> the purpose of answering questions.

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:19:03 -0800, gwtc wrote:
>
>> SM should pick up your current Mozilla profile with no problems. IMO
>> I would wait until the final release comes out. The current versions
>> are still in the testing stages, and they might cause problems with
>> your current profile. I know others will disagree with me on that,
>> and say go ahead and try it out. If you want to go ahead and try it
>> out, then create a separate profile for testing it out.

> Thanks for the reassurances :))
>
> I'll hang on for the final release before giving it a go as I'm wary
> of using beta versions although I know they can be stable: my
> newsreader,Dialog, is still in beta but is as steady as a rock (says
> she, tempting fate!! <G>)
>
> I hope SeaMonkey will be OK running on WinME because that's what I
> use. I won't be "upgrading" to XP.

If your hardware platform can stand it I /strongly/ advise upgrading to
Windows XP SP2. It is much more stable and robust. Windows ME is
regarded as one of the /worst/ things to ever come out of Redmond, WA.

I had finally beaten W98SE into submission and stayed with it until XP
had been out for well over a year. Yes, upgrading your OS is always
angst-filled. Once I did, however, it has been a whole new world.

If you do it, my strongest recommendation is to do a clean install of
XP. Don't "upgrade" - it's been widely reported as the source of most
complaints about XP.

Just FYI, you decide for yourself.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Jedi Fans 01-20-2006 06:35 AM

Re: Transition from Mozilla 1.7 to SeaMonkey

On 20/01/06 03:21, Ed Mullen scribbled:
> Charani wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:14:30 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>
>>> I am using SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta as my default browser and mail/news
>>> program. It's very stable. It will find your Moz profile and use it
>>> without any problem. The only caveat is to NOT use/share the same
>>> profile among the two programs. I uninstalled Moz after trying SM for
>>> a day. I'm very satisfied.

>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:46:20 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>
>>> I installed SeaMonkey and created a new profile for it. Within a
>>> week, that profile had become my main profile. I open Mozilla now
>>> only for the purpose of answering questions.

>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:19:03 -0800, gwtc wrote:
>>
>>> SM should pick up your current Mozilla profile with no problems. IMO
>>> I would wait until the final release comes out. The current versions
>>> are still in the testing stages, and they might cause problems with
>>> your current profile. I know others will disagree with me on that,
>>> and say go ahead and try it out. If you want to go ahead and try it
>>> out, then create a separate profile for testing it out.

>> Thanks for the reassurances :))
>>
>> I'll hang on for the final release before giving it a go as I'm wary
>> of using beta versions although I know they can be stable: my
>> newsreader,Dialog, is still in beta but is as steady as a rock (says
>> she, tempting fate!! <G>)
>>
>> I hope SeaMonkey will be OK running on WinME because that's what I
>> use. I won't be "upgrading" to XP.

> If your hardware platform can stand it I /strongly/ advise upgrading to
> Windows XP SP2. It is much more stable and robust. Windows ME is
> regarded as one of the /worst/ things to ever come out of Redmond, WA.
>
> I had finally beaten W98SE into submission and stayed with it until XP
> had been out for well over a year. Yes, upgrading your OS is always
> angst-filled. Once I did, however, it has been a whole new world.
>
> If you do it, my strongest recommendation is to do a clean install of
> XP. Don't "upgrade" - it's been widely reported as the source of most
> complaints about XP.
>
> Just FYI, you decide for yourself.

Of course instead of paying money for a less secure product,
can always legally download SUSE Linux or other Linux for
free.... http://opensuse.org

--
Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5,

Charani 01-20-2006 11:24 AM

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:21:32 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:

> If your hardware platform can stand it I /strongly/ advise upgrading to
> Windows XP SP2. It is much more stable and robust. Windows ME is
> regarded as one of the /worst/ things to ever come out of Redmond, WA.
>
> I had finally beaten W98SE into submission and stayed with it until XP
> had been out for well over a year. Yes, upgrading your OS is always
> angst-filled. Once I did, however, it has been a whole new world.
>
> If you do it, my strongest recommendation is to do a clean install of
> XP. Don't "upgrade" - it's been widely reported as the source of most
> complaints about XP.
>
> Just FYI, you decide for yourself.

The platform won't take XP. I've not really had any problems with ME,
stability or otherwise. I didn't with 98SE which I was using up to 3
years ago.

My husband has XP on one of his PCs and doesn't like it. TBH, nor do
I. He doesn't use XP for any surfing. He does that on ME .

It'll be either a Mac or Linux when I do change but thank you for your
advice :))

Charani 01-20-2006 11:25 AM

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:35:34 +0000, Jedi Fans wrote:

> Of course instead of paying money for a less secure product,
> can always legally download SUSE Linux or other Linux for
> free.... http://opensuse.org

Thank you for that :)) It's either a Mac or a flavour of Linux that'd
I'll change to. I favour Linux though.