Velocity Reviews

-   -   Contacts in OE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t540497-contacts-in-oe.html)

soup 09-27-2007 10:20 PM

Contacts in OE

Have no great hopes that anyone can help. My mum uses OE for her E-mail
and is complaining that her Contacts (address book) is now all squares
and question marks instead of readable characters (sounds like some sort
of font issue to me) I have no more details as she was talking to the
wife on the phone and mentioned this and my wife just mentioned in
passing so all I know is mum's address book is now in "hieroglyphics"
(mums words). Does anyone know how I could sort this?

I have had a wee look at OE on this system but I can not replicate her
problem and I can't see anywhere I would set the font for the OE address
book

OS is Win ME
Not sure which version of OE it is, probably six something
--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-27-2007 10:41 PM

Re: Contacts in OE

soup wrote:

> Have no great hopes that anyone can help.

Pessimist!

> My mum uses OE for her E-mail and is complaining that her Contacts
> (address book) is now all squares and question marks instead of
> readable characters (sounds like some sort of font issue to me) ...

A thought: open Internet Explorer. Go to:
View > Encoding >

What is selected? Change it to Unicode (UTF-8)

--
-bts

What's in a Name? 09-28-2007 01:29 AM

Re: Contacts in OE

soup <1@invalid.com> wrote in
news:J0WKi.21737$c_1.10238@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk:

> Have no great hopes that anyone can help. My mum uses OE for her
> E-mail and is complaining that her Contacts (address book) is now
> all squares and question marks instead of readable characters
> (sounds like some sort of font issue to me) I have no more details
> as she was talking to the wife on the phone and mentioned this and
> my wife just mentioned in passing so all I know is mum's address
> book is now in "hieroglyphics" (mums words). Does anyone know how
> I could sort this?
>
> I have had a wee look at OE on this system but I can not
> replicate her
> problem and I can't see anywhere I would set the font for the OE
> address book
>
> OS is Win ME
> Not sure which version of OE it is, probably six something

Sounds like it could be corrupted. Now would be a good time to
explain how to backup important files like bookmarks,address book
etc.(she already understands why)
max
--
Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html

soup 09-28-2007 08:42 AM

Re: Contacts in OE

What's in a Name? wrote:

> Now would be a good time to
> explain how to backup important files like bookmarks,address book
> etc.

I will, will take the patience of Job though as she has difficulty
even understanding some concepts [old and new to computing not a good
combination].
I am also not a patient person at all and have a bit of a reputation
(in my mum's eyes) of shouting "why did you do that" and "no not that
button" down the phone at her. So much so that she hesitates to phone
me about computer problems.

--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh

John Holmes 09-28-2007 05:40 PM

Re: Contacts in OE

soup "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I am also not a patient person at all and have a bit of a reputation
> (in my mum's eyes) of shouting "why did you do that" and "no not that
> button" down the phone at her. So much so that she hesitates to phone
> me about computer problems.

LOL, I have the same thing, but then with my customers!

--
Your mother was a conservative tart who used to be violently and copiously
sick in a tattoo studio in L.A..

soup 09-29-2007 07:12 PM

Re: Contacts in OE

soup wrote:
> Have no great hopes that anyone can help. My mum uses OE for her E-mail
> and is complaining that her Contacts (address book) is now all squares
> and question marks instead of readable characters (sounds like some sort
> of font issue to me) I have no more details as she was talking to the
> wife on the phone and mentioned this and my wife just mentioned in
> passing so all I know is mum's address book is now in "hieroglyphics"
> (mums words). Does anyone know how I could sort this?

Seems her grandaughter (my niece) had been replying to all and sundry
and their addresses were automatically getting written to mum's Contacts
so when mum looked at her address book all these "strange" names etc
were all she could see (if she had scrolled she would have seen her
names were in there but as soon as she saw the "hieroglyphics" she
panicked and shouted on me)so after manually deleting the names/addys
that had no right to be there mum only had the addys she wanted left in
her contacts .

And the moral of this story is don't let twelve year olds who think they
know everything at your computer, without knowing yourself what to do.

--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh