Velocity Reviews

-   -   New laptop and DOS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t539712-new-laptop-and-dos.html)

Bee 09-24-2007 09:09 PM

New laptop and DOS

Hi,

I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running XP)
I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

Meat Plow 09-24-2007 09:46 PM

Re: New laptop and DOS

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:09:37 -0500, Bee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
> need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running XP)
> I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>

> Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

www.google.com search for : The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal
instruction

read some of the hits.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 09-24-2007 10:14 PM

Re: New laptop and DOS

"Bee" <Bee@dontbother.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
>need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running XP)
>I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
>application.
>

>Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

XP assumed

Old simplistic DOS games used what memory it could find.

Google: Data Execution Prevention

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../depcnfxp.mspx
"To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
"non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the memory,
Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the code is
malicious or not."
--

Microsoft Windows Will Be Unbundled - computers in the EU
will be sold without an operating system.

chuckcar 09-24-2007 11:55 PM

Re: New laptop and DOS

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote in

> "Bee" <Bee@dontbother.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in
>>DOS--No need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750
>>laptop running XP) I get this error message when I try to launch any
>>of these games:
>>
>> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>>
>> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate
>> the
>>application.
>>

>>Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!
>>

> XP assumed
>
> Old simplistic DOS games used what memory it could find.
>
> Google: Data Execution Prevention
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../depcnfxp.mspx
> "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
> "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the memory,
> Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the code is
> malicious or not."

That sounds like the definition of a page fault. Strange that they'd
confuse the two.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Annie 09-25-2007 06:32 AM

Re: New laptop and DOS

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
>>need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running
>>XP)
>>I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
>>
>> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>>
>> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
>>application.
>>

>>Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!
>>

> XP assumed
>
> Old simplistic DOS games used what memory it could find.
>
> Google: Data Execution Prevention
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../depcnfxp.mspx
> "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
> "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the memory,
> Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the code is
> malicious or not."

Thanks guys for the help. Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work.
:( Disappointing for a new machine. Thanks, again, though!

philo 09-25-2007 09:24 AM

Re: New laptop and DOS

"Bee" <Bee@dontbother.com> wrote in message
news:rIVJi.642$hI7.222@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net. ..

> Hi,
>
> I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
> need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running

XP)
> I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>

> Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

Some of those old dos apps will not work simply because the CPU is too fast.
They sometimes used timing loops
I've had to hack into a few of my old q-basic games to get them to work on a
fast CPU

ronald.phillips@gmail.com 09-25-2007 11:05 AM

Re: New laptop and DOS

On Sep 24, 5:09 pm, "Bee" <B...@dontbother.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
> need forDOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running XP)
> I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

Use DosBox. NTVDM is a POS.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 09-26-2007 03:51 AM

Re: New laptop and DOS

chuckcar <chuck@nil.car> wrote:

>> Google: Data Execution Prevention
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../depcnfxp.mspx
>> "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
>> "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the memory,
>> Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the code is
>> malicious or not."

>That sounds like the definition of a page fault. Strange that they'd
>confuse the two.

Something MS had to implement to counter their poor programming skills
; it's suppose to block buffer overruns.
--

http://www.onahorse.com/

chuckcar 09-26-2007 04:27 AM

Re: New laptop and DOS

> chuckcar <chuck@nil.car> wrote:
>
>>> Google: Data Execution Prevention
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../depcnfxp.mspx
>>> "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
>>> "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the
>>> memory, Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the
>>> code is malicious or not."

>>That sounds like the definition of a page fault. Strange that they'd
>>confuse the two.

> Something MS had to implement to counter their poor programming skills
> ; it's suppose to block buffer overruns.

Well, actually there *is* some overlap there - an invalid page fault
*can* cause an illegal operation - you jump from the code segment to the
data segment and you are *very* likely to get an unimplemented op code
(i.e. a byte bit pattern not used for any valid instruction), but tech
writers aren't programmers I guess.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar 09-26-2007 04:30 AM

Re: New laptop and DOS

"Bee" <Bee@dontbother.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in
> DOS--No need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750
> laptop running XP) I get this error message when I try to launch any
> of these games:
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate
> the
> application.
>

> Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

If you have a floppy drive (or I suppose a boot cd would work too), you
could make a boot disk to boot to an earlier version of dos. I wouldn't
go earlier than 5 though, dos 4 had *real* problems and before that,
there was a lot that wasn't implemented.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )