Velocity Reviews

-   -   running 32bit standard edition on 64bit hardware? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t539532-running-32bit-standard-edition-on-64bit-hardware.html)

Mark 09-21-2007 06:47 PM

running 32bit standard edition on 64bit hardware?

I just found out that the hardware that came uses 64bit AMD. But the
Windows Server 2003 license is for Standard Edition; a 32bit version.

What kind of performance hit would I take if I ran the Standard Edition
on the 64bit hardware?

Thanks,
Mark.

Charlie Russel - MVP 09-21-2007 06:53 PM

Re: running 32bit standard edition on 64bit hardware?

As long as you don't need >4GB of RAM, you're fine. These days it's
virtually impossible to buy a server class machine that isn't 64bit
hardware. But the beauty of the AMD64 architecture is that it's also a very
good 32-bit processor. ;)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?cmljOTI2?= 09-24-2007 01:52 AM

RE: running 32bit standard edition on 64bit hardware?

another good trick is to put your page file on a different drive, or across a
stripe @ 4096, i do that on all my systems (will still put a small 512mb on
the c, but a min of 4096 on the d, or stripe, seems to me i read somewhere
that a page file runs better on fat32, i could be wrong, it was a while ago
but your performance should be fine
--
rf