Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dark Shadows (1991) Aspect ratio mystery (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t539379-dark-shadows-1991-aspect-ratio-mystery.html)

Kishin 09-23-2007 03:22 PM

Dark Shadows (1991) Aspect ratio mystery

I didn't notice this on the first disc (and already returned it to
Blockbuster before I could check), but on discs 2 & 3, the picture was
anamorphic 16X9. The opening and closing credits were both 4X3 with
black boxes on the sides, but the rest of the shows were widescreen.

What the hey? Did they even HAVE widescreen tvs back then? Or was it
shot widescreen for European release?

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Kishin

ChairmanOfTheBored 09-23-2007 07:07 PM

Re: Dark Shadows (1991) Aspect ratio mystery

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:22:04 -0400, Kishin
<spamspamspameggsandspam@spam.com> wrote:

>I didn't notice this on the first disc (and already returned it to
>Blockbuster before I could check), but on discs 2 & 3, the picture was
>anamorphic 16X9. The opening and closing credits were both 4X3 with
>black boxes on the sides, but the rest of the shows were widescreen.
>
>What the hey? Did they even HAVE widescreen tvs back then? Or was it
>shot widescreen for European release?
>
>Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Hahaha... They didn't have wide screen in Europe back then either.
Sheesh. I'll bet you actually think that Europe is ahead of the US in
A/V realm too!

Bill 09-23-2007 07:11 PM

Re: Dark Shadows (1991) Aspect ratio mystery

> Hahaha... They didn't have wide screen in Europe back then either.
> Sheesh. I'll bet you actually think that Europe is ahead of the US in
> A/V realm too!

The poster asked a legitimate question, in a polite fashion. He/she did
not deserve such an asinine, ignorant response. One more for the ever
expanding killfile.

Bungalow Bill 09-23-2007 07:32 PM

**** you, BillTard! I noticed the lack of a legitimate response to the
thread by your pathetic ass, boy, so **** off.

ChairmanOfTheBored 09-23-2007 07:34 PM

Re: Dark Shadows (1991) Aspect ratio mystery

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:11:35 -0400, Bill <ws@ws.com> wrote:

>> Hahaha... They didn't have wide screen in Europe back then either.
>> Sheesh. I'll bet you actually think that Europe is ahead of the US in
>> A/V realm too!

>The poster asked a legitimate question, in a polite fashion. He/she did
>not deserve such an asinine, ignorant response. One more for the ever
>expanding killfile.

Dark Shadows is a Gothic television soap opera that originally aired
weekdays on the ABC television network, from June 27, 1966 to April 2,
1971.

You're an idiot, BillTard, so **** off!

Bill 09-23-2007 08:52 PM

Kishin wrote:
> I didn't notice this on the first disc (and already returned it to
> Blockbuster before I could check), but on discs 2 & 3, the picture was
> anamorphic 16X9.
> What the hey? Did they even HAVE widescreen tvs back then? Or was it
> shot widescreen for European release?

Below is a link to a news article that was posted on 9/7/2005 at the
tvshowsondvd.com website. It doesn't answer a lot of questions, but it
would appear that MGM incorrectly chose to master the set in the 16 x 9
format:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dark-Shadows/4081

Kishin 09-24-2007 04:36 PM

Re: Dark Shadows (1991) Aspect ratio mystery

In article <NmAJi.12705$OD5.12460@newsfe22.lga>, Bill <ws@ws.com>
wrote:

> Below is a link to a news article that was posted on 9/7/2005 at the
> tvshowsondvd.com website. It doesn't answer a lot of questions, but it
> would appear that MGM incorrectly chose to master the set in the 16 x 9
> format:
>
> http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dark-Shadows/4081

Well, that's something anyway.

Thanks a bunch!