Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Repairing Operating System (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t539310-re-repairing-operating-system.html)

George 09-23-2007 02:33 PM

Re: Repairing Operating System

456 wrote:
> Repair your operating system
> http://windowsxpsp2pro.blogspot.com

So, here's what my machine already has. I didn't have to make these
changes.

"You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called: I386 This
is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this
onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going
to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your
PC.
We do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start
menu) by navigating to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup You will see various entries here on the right hand
side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath It probably has an entry pointing
to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:\ Simply double click the
SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the
change."

SFC still asked for my windows CD and then ran with no problems. Is
there a way to tell if any files were replaced? Mine is a xpsp1
machine.