Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bright light in sky? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t539233-bright-light-in-sky.html)

pete 09-21-2007 08:04 PM

Bright light in sky?

I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
pete
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

kráftéé 09-21-2007 08:07 PM

Re: Bright light in sky?

pete wrote:
> I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
> bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
> too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
> pete

It can't be that time already, I have had a chance to repent all my
sins yet.... o;-(

who'sthat 09-21-2007 08:10 PM

Re: Bright light in sky?

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:04:03 +0100, pete <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
>bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
>too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
>pete
>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html

And now you won't need Google
http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

SJP 09-21-2007 08:10 PM

Re: Bright light in sky?

"pete" <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
> bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
> too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
> pete

Try asking in news:uk.sci.astronomy

pete 09-21-2007 11:59 PM

Re: Bright light in sky?

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:10:16 -0500, who'sthat
<who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:04:03 +0100, pete <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
>>bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
>>too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
>>pete
>>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

>http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html
>
>And now you won't need Google
>http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
space lab could be around that area?

pete 09-22-2007 12:00 AM

Re: Bright light in sky?

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:10:25 +0100, "SJP" <someone@somewhere.invalid>
wrote:

>"pete" <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:go88f3to9c9aetlu3c1j9om8cl4ibcuv7o@4ax.com.. .
>>I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
>> bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
>> too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
>> pete

>Try asking in news:uk.sci.astronomy

Thanks I am doing that now.

who'sthat 09-22-2007 12:13 AM

Re: Bright light in sky?

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:59:35 +0100, pete <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:10:16 -0500, who'sthat
><who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:04:03 +0100, pete <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
>>>bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
>>>too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
>>>pete
>>>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
>>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

>>http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html
>>
>>And now you won't need Google
>>http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

>Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
>space lab could be around that area?
>pete
>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

The sites I sent will also point out planets.
No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

Blinky the Shark 09-22-2007 12:19 AM

Re: Bright light in sky?

who'sthat wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:59:35 +0100, pete <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:10:16 -0500, who'sthat
>><who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

>>>http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html
>>>
>>>And now you won't need Google
>>>http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

>>Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
>>space lab could be around that area?
>>pete
>>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

> The sites I sent will also point out planets.
> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even if
you could see it.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

chuckcar 09-22-2007 01:18 AM

Re: Bright light in sky?

pete <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
> bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
> too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
> pete
> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

Venus the goddess of love and she's coming for her revenge.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-22-2007 01:46 AM

Re: Bright light in sky?

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> who'sthat wrote:
>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
> if you could see it.

Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
night.

http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
"Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ¡stars¢ making it
fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."

--
-bts