Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t539172-hidden-text-field-occasionally-missing-data-on-postback.html)

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBSZWVk?= 09-24-2007 01:06 AM

Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback

Greetings.

I have an app that's been in production for 3-4 years that is hosted at an
ISP. I have an aspx control on the page that uses a few hidden text fields
for repositioning logic executed on the server postback. These text fields
"always" have data in them. About 5 months ago we started to receive
intermitent errors that reveals at postback the value in the text field's
value is gone.

I am wondering if there hasn't been an upgrade or something at the ISP that
somehow is causing this intermittent problem. It happens regardless of the
version of IE we are using. It happens both during high volume during the day
but also in the off hours...so server loading doesn't seem to be the issue.

This is so weird...of course the ISP wants to say its our code...and I'd
love for it to be...but this logic has not been touched in a few years.

Any ideas...sorry it's not much to go on.

Regards,

Paul

---------------------------------------
Jackson-Reed, Inc. www.jacksonreed.com

Nathan Sokalski 09-24-2007 02:31 AM

Re: Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback

I'm not sure if this is the issue, but here are two things you should make
sure of:

Since your code was obviously written in ASP.NET 1.1 if it has been in
production for 3-4 years:
1. Make sure your server still supports .NET 1.1
2. Make sure all your code is in the same version of .NET; ASP.NET 1.1 and
2.0 are not compatible with each other

I'm not sure what else to say right now, since I haven't seen the code, but
I would suggest migrating the code to ASP.NET 2.0 (or if you want to wait
for it, the soon to come 3.0) if you haven't already. Migrating from 1.1 to
2.0 can be a big task, but it is usually worth it, and it makes it easier to
write code using Visual Studio 2005 (you don't have to worry about telling
it what version of .NET you want your code compiled to, you would have to do
this if you want your code compiled to 1.1). If you post your code, someone
(maybe even me) might be able to help you more. Good Luck!
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

Mark Rae [MVP] 09-24-2007 09:21 AM

Re: Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback

"Paul Reed" <PaulReed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> These text fields "always" have data in them.

Where does the data come from...?

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBSZWVk?= 09-24-2007 11:04 AM

Re: Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback

Mark,

In this case it is a Date which represents the current view of a schdule.
This data is placed in the hidden field when the page is first sent to the
client...which is subsequently posted back.

Paul

---------------------------------------

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBSZWVk?= 09-24-2007 11:44 AM

Re: Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback

Nathan,

Yes...I've been dreading upgrading to 2.0. Actually many of my clients are
still on hold as well with that. I am using a lot of the Infragistic's stuff
and Crystal so I am sure that will all be fun.

Regarding versions...my Error message that comes back shows both the
framework and ASP as 1.1.4322.2407 (so its service pack 1 for version 1.1). I
am also going to investigate if any of the hotfix rollups have been applied
by the ISP that were issued after the 1.1. service pack was released.

Here is the code...

Private Sub btnPrevMo_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrevMo.Click
Dim workDate As New Date()

'Lets PreRender know that a control event caused postback
controlHandled = True

workDate = CDate(txtBeginDate.Text)

setupDates(workDate.AddMonths(-1))

'build the schedule
buildSchedule()
End Sub

The line of code that fails is the CDate(txtBeginDate.Text) where the
BeginDate for some reason has nothing in it...thus I get a cast failure. This
field should never be blank...ever...

Thanks...

Paul

--
---------------------------------------

Nathan Sokalski 09-25-2007 05:01 AM

Re: Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback

Does txtBeginDate have ViewState enabled? You must have
EnableViewState="True" (which is the default, so you can usually simply not
specify this property) in order to retrieve the value from a Control during
postback.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBSZWVk?= 09-25-2007 11:58 AM

Re: Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback

Nathan,

Yes...it is enabled. Again, what's odd...is that this app has been working
just fine...the problem is intermittent and we can't duplicate in our dev
environ. I checked the ISPs version of of .NET and we are using the same
thing. Argggg!

Regards,

Paul
--