Velocity Reviews

-   -   No connection to internet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t538926-no-connection-to-internet.html)

ocampo.dave@gmail.com 09-21-2007 06:08 AM

No connection to internet

Hello,

I am having a problem connecting to the internet via my Wireless USB
Adapter. The adapter works fine; it picks up available networks and
connects with them. However, despite having a connection, my IE and
Firefox won't connect to the internet.

I've tried letting Windows configure my wireless connection, but that
didn't change a thing. I don't know what else to try. I am running
Windows XP SP2.

Thanks,

Barb Bowman 09-21-2007 09:32 AM

Re: No connection to internet

where are these wireless networks? public networks in coffee shops?
in our neighborhood? your own?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Lem 09-21-2007 02:32 PM

ocampo.dave@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having a problem connecting to the internet via my Wireless USB
> Adapter. The adapter works fine; it picks up available networks and
> connects with them. However, despite having a connection, my IE and
> Firefox won't connect to the internet.
>
> I've tried letting Windows configure my wireless connection, but that
> didn't change a thing. I don't know what else to try. I am running
> Windows XP SP2.

> Thanks,

Has this ever worked?

Does "tried letting Windows configure" your wireless connection, mean
that you also use a different utility to configure it? You need to make
sure that only one wireless configuration utility is active.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 09-21-2007 02:32 PM

Re: No connection to internet

Hi
Seeing a signal and the statement Connected in the connection available
screen does not mean that you actually have a Working connection.
Check you Wireless configuration to make sure that it is configure correctly
with the Wireless source My New Wireless does not work -
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htmlthat you are
using.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:1190354915.599728.199420@n39g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...

Phil 09-21-2007 02:57 PM

Re: No connection to internet

> Thanks,

Hi,

Check the Firewall settings. Turn off the firewall to prove it isn't
realted to that (then turn it back on again to keep your protection in
place)
Open a DOS window (command Prompt) and enter IPCONFIG at the prompt,
then press enter. If you have an IP address that matches your
network, that is good, but if your address shown is different, then
the computer and network card are not being issued with a valid
address. If this is the case try setting these manually in the
network properties.

If the IP address matches the address range of your network, check the
DNS is working from the Command Prompt again by pinging (say) www.bbc.net.
First try ping 63.172.252.242 then if that works try ping www.bbc.net.
If the first works and the second doesn't change your DNS settgins in
the TCPIP properties to match those given by your Internet service
provider.

Apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!

Phil

ocampo.dave@gmail.com 09-21-2007 03:35 PM

On Sep 21, 4:32 am, Barb Bowman <b...@nospam.com> wrote:
> where are these wireless networks? public networks in coffee shops?
> in our neighborhood? your own?
>
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:08:35 -0700, ocampo.d...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Hello,

> >I am having a problem connecting to the internet via my Wireless USB
> >Adapter. The adapter works fine; it picks up available networks and
> >connects with them. However, despite having a connection, my IE and
> >Firefox won't connect to the internet.

> >I've tried letting Windows configure my wireless connection, but that
> >didn't change a thing. I don't know what else to try. I am running
> >Windows XP SP2.

> >Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

> >Thanks,

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

Hi Barb,

I've tried connecting to free wi-fi points, such as libraries and
coffee shops, but with no luck. I have even had problems with my
ethernet connection. I plugged directly into a library and I received
a connection (or so the computer says) and I my IE and Firefox weren't
able to find a connection to the internet.

I suspect that it may be a user update that I downloaded from
Microsoft, so I tried uninstalling a few, but with no luck.

In summary, the connection is fine, but I think it's the configuration
that does not work properly.

Thanks

Barb Bowman 09-21-2007 03:43 PM

Re: No connection to internet

so you previously had no issues connecting then?
what wireless USB adapter? did you try a restore point to prior to
the time this issue started?

can you post the text output of ipconfig /all when the computer is
in this state of non connectivity?

and reconfirm that these are wireless networks you were previously
able to connect to without difficulty.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

ocampo.dave@gmail.com 09-21-2007 04:25 PM

On Sep 21, 10:43 am, Barb Bowman <b...@nospam.com> wrote:
> so you previously had no issues connecting then?
> what wireless USB adapter? did you try a restore point to prior to
> the time this issue started?
>
> can you post the text output of ipconfig /all when the computer is
> in this state of non connectivity?
>
> and reconfirm that these are wireless networks you were previously
> able to connect to without difficulty.
>

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:35:33 -0700, ocampo.d...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Hi Barb,

> >I've tried connecting to free wi-fi points, such as libraries and
> >coffee shops, but with no luck. I have even had problems with my
> >ethernet connection. I plugged directly into a library and I received
> >a connection (or so the computer says) and I my IE and Firefox weren't
> >able to find a connection to the internet.

> >I suspect that it may be a user update that I downloaded from
> >Microsoft, so I tried uninstalling a few, but with no luck.

> >In summary, the connection is fine, but I think it's the configuration
> >that does not work properly.

> >Thanks

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

Hi Barb,

I had no issues connecting via ethernet until about last week, when I
connected and I installed a bunch of Windows XP updates.
My USB Adapter is a netgear WPN111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. As I said
before, it picks up signals and connects, but IE won't work.

I did try a restore point, but it didn't work for my wireless. I did
not try the ethernet connection, since I would have to go to a
library.

Here is what I could get

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Comp
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-95-D5-DB

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-
Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\WINDOWS>

It seems that my computer battery has also died, so I will have to
recharge it this weekend (I forgot the battery charger.)

I will keep you posted once I get up and running.

Lem 09-21-2007 04:55 PM

ocampo.dave@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
> Network Connecti
> on
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-95-D5-DB
>
> Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-
> Interface
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
>
> C:\WINDOWS>
>

> It seems that my computer battery has also died, so I will have to
> recharge it this weekend (I forgot the battery charger.)
>
> I will keep you posted once I get up and running.

Unless you know that you have a specific need for TCP/IP v6, go to the
"properties" screen for your wireless internet connection
looks like:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...Index--2.shtml

and UNINSTALL the entry for TCP/IPv6 and make sure that you DO have an
entry for TCP/IP [with either no version designation or v4]

Under the list of "This connection uses the following items" you should
have only

Client for Microsoft Windows
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler (this is optional)
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Barb Bowman 09-21-2007 04:55 PM

Re: No connection to internet

was the wireless able to connect before or not?
there is no sign of the wireless adapter in the ipconfig you posted.
what programs did you install recently?