Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless Connection Drops (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5379-wireless-connection-drops.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?= 01-07-2005 06:37 AM

Wireless Connection Drops

I'm having a problem where I loose my Wireless connections shortly after
connecting to it.
ps. I'm a Wireless Rookie

The only way I can make it come back is to go through the following:

Network Connections
right click on Wireless Network connection
Properties
Wireless Networks
Check the box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
settings"

I would have thought that once I checked this box, this would stay forever.
If we restart the computer, or If we switch users on the computer (XP),
I have to repeat this process.
I have not turned any Security on, and am waiting until I get this problem
fixed first.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

It's real annoying

Netgear Wireless Router and Desktop PC Card
Windows XP

Malke 01-07-2005 02:09 PM

Re: Wireless Connection Drops

Bruce wrote:

> I'm having a problem where I loose my Wireless connections shortly
> after connecting to it.
> ps. I'm a Wireless Rookie
>
> The only way I can make it come back is to go through the following:
>
> Network Connections
> right click on Wireless Network connection
> Properties
> Wireless Networks
> Check the box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
> settings"
>
> I would have thought that once I checked this box, this would stay
> forever. If we restart the computer, or If we switch users on the
> computer (XP), I have to repeat this process.
> I have not turned any Security on, and am waiting until I get this
> problem fixed first.
>
> Any Help would be greatly appreciated
>
> It's real annoying
>
> Netgear Wireless Router and Desktop PC Card
> Windows XP

Here are a few things to try:

1. Make sure that the wireless adapter is not set to use power
management features. Go to its entry in Device Manager and double-click
it to get its Properties. Now look on the Power Management tab and make
sure allowing Windows to turn off the device is not checked.

2. Update the drivers for the wireless adapter from the mftr.'s website.

3. Check on Netgear's website for your particular router model and see
if there are any known issues and if you have to update the firmware.

4. When you installed the wireless adapter, it probably came with a
wireless management program. Start that program and look in its
Preferences. If there is a place to check "allow Windows to manage
wireless connections", make sure you've done that.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers