Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sharing a monitor Part 2 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t537655-sharing-a-monitor-part-2-a.html)

Tanel Kagan 09-16-2007 12:07 PM

Sharing a monitor Part 2

Thanks to all for the advice given in "Sharing a monitor" (15.09.07).

I now have my nice Newlink MicroKVM switch
(http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35450).

I paid 20 at Maplin which was apparently half the price that they were up
until quite recently. It works a treat and the signal quality is great for
both machines.

As a separate, but connected issue, I have been thinking of adding a second
monitor.

"Hold on a minute!" - I hear you cry. "The other day you were asking how to
share one monitor with two PCs, and now you're going to add a second
monitor? What's the point?".

Well, what I really want to do is have my PC1 running on two monitors, to
increase my workspace, and at the same time have the functionality to see
what's going on on PC2.

So I'm thinking of three options, but I'm not sure how feasible they are in
practice:-

1) I have two monitors running all the time, and when I switch from PC1
to PC2 both monitors change so that PC2 now displays on both monitors.

2) PC1 displays on both monitors, but when I switch to PC2 it displays
only on Monitor 1.

3) PC1 displays on both monitors, but I can switch Monitor 2 to PC2. I
would need Synergy or similar software (I guess) to recognise when the mouse
cursor is on monitor 1 (such that the PC1 is active) and when on monitor 2
(so that PC2 is active). The advantage of this would be to have one monitor
for each PC, increasing desktop space and making housekeeping easier, whilst
also keeping the advantage of a single keyboard and mouse.

Is there any way to achieve this? I'm thinking that maybe if a dual monitor
setup requires 2 video outputs from each PC, then my simple KVM won't have
enough inputs to handle this. Any advice in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

Tanel.

Tanel Kagan 09-16-2007 12:13 PM

Re: Sharing a monitor Part 2

Just to add...

Would one of these help?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...18645&doy=16m9

If it allows an extra monitor to be attached via the USB port, then do we
avoid the issue of having too many VGA inputs for the KVM to handle?

Tanel.

why? 09-16-2007 03:42 PM

Re: Sharing a monitor Part 2

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:07:55 +0100, "Tanel Kagan"
<tanelkagan@(nospamthnx)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks to all for the advice given in "Sharing a monitor" (15.09.07).

<snip>

>As a separate, but connected issue, I have been thinking of adding a second
>monitor.
>
>"Hold on a minute!" - I hear you cry. "The other day you were asking how to
>share one monitor with two PCs, and now you're going to add a second
>monitor? What's the point?".
>
>Well, what I really want to do is have my PC1 running on two monitors, to
>increase my workspace, and at the same time have the functionality to see

This depends on the video memory and resolution of the card.

It's also easy with a dual output video card that comes with the
software.

>what's going on on PC2.

Mentioned before in 24HSHD

Matrox DualHead 2Go
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gx...dh2go/home.php

This will expand 1 PC screen on to 2. Again the resolution / memory
issue. If you set your video resolution to 2560 x 1280 The Matrox box
divides that into 2 x 1280 x 1024.

As well as 3 way version,
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/

>So I'm thinking of three options, but I'm not sure how feasible they are in
>practice:-

Getting complicated. You are trying to overthink the situation.

>1) I have two monitors running all the time, and when I switch from PC1
>to PC2 both monitors change so that PC2 now displays on both monitors.

Nope, have the expanded desktop for PC1, and use part of that (say
monitor 2) for the connection to PC2, This means you see both.

>2) PC1 displays on both monitors, but when I switch to PC2 it displays
>only on Monitor 1.

With a monitor that has dual inputs analog and digital (as long as it
has 2 inputs) you wire PC1 up and configure it for the dual monitor
landscape, and use the other input from PC2. You then use the monitor
selector to switch between inputs. Basically I do this at work. 1 PC has
PS/2 KM the other USB. The KVM only switches the video and the monitor
selector for 2 inputs, although the 2nd is from a Sun workstation.

>3) PC1 displays on both monitors, but I can switch Monitor 2 to PC2. I
>would need Synergy or similar software (I guess) to recognise when the mouse
>cursor is on monitor 1 (such that the PC1 is active) and when on monitor 2
>(so that PC2 is active). The advantage of this would be to have one monitor
>for each PC, increasing desktop space and making housekeeping easier, whilst
>also keeping the advantage of a single keyboard and mouse.

I really, really prefer the simple method.

1 PC dual monitors and remote control software for the machines in a
different room. Local machines use the 2nd inputs on a monitor via a
KVM. Okay it means 2 KM but I need that sometimes. However everything
can be remote controlled anyway.

You may find some combination of KVM / DualHead 2Go but you may not want
to switch the signal into the 2Go via a KVM in case of signal quality
issues.

Have a look arounf the Matrox site for the manuals for the 2Go and see
if there is anything there.

>Is there any way to achieve this? I'm thinking that maybe if a dual monitor
>setup requires 2 video outputs from each PC, then my simple KVM won't have
>enough inputs to handle this. Any advice in this regard?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tanel.

Me

why? 09-16-2007 04:08 PM

Re: Sharing a monitor Part 2

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:13:05 +0100, "Tanel Kagan"
<tanelkagan@(nospamthnx)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just to add...
>
>Would one of these help?
>
>http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...18645&doy=16m9
>
>If it allows an extra monitor to be attached via the USB port, then do we

This is why I like the video cards with 2 outputs. If you have a older
slowish PC you may be aware of too many USB devices affecting
performance. I am not sure I would like to shove video through 1 of
these.

>avoid the issue of having too many VGA inputs for the KVM to handle?

If you use this to get the dual monitor on 1 PC, that's the 1st thing
you asked about.

With this you may get away with this being your KVM switchable display.

PC1 with monitor 1.

PC1 with monitor 2 <- then KVM is either USB PC1 (expanded display) or
PC2 (to see what's going on)

This leaves you with 2 KVM inputs and not too many.

You will always see PC1 and can switch between PC1 dual display and PC2
on 1 monitor only.

>Tanel.

Me

PeeCee 09-16-2007 11:08 PM

Re: Sharing a monitor Part 2

"Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamthnx)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all for the advice given in "Sharing a monitor" (15.09.07).
>
> I now have my nice Newlink MicroKVM switch
> (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35450).
>
> I paid 20 at Maplin which was apparently half the price that they were up
> until quite recently. It works a treat and the signal quality is great
> for both machines.
>
> As a separate, but connected issue, I have been thinking of adding a
> second monitor.
>
> "Hold on a minute!" - I hear you cry. "The other day you were asking how
> to share one monitor with two PCs, and now you're going to add a second
> monitor? What's the point?".
>
> Well, what I really want to do is have my PC1 running on two monitors, to
> increase my workspace, and at the same time have the functionality to see
> what's going on on PC2.
>
> So I'm thinking of three options, but I'm not sure how feasible they are
> in practice:-
>
> 1) I have two monitors running all the time, and when I switch from PC1
> to PC2 both monitors change so that PC2 now displays on both monitors.
>
> 2) PC1 displays on both monitors, but when I switch to PC2 it displays
> only on Monitor 1.
>
> 3) PC1 displays on both monitors, but I can switch Monitor 2 to PC2. I
> would need Synergy or similar software (I guess) to recognise when the
> mouse cursor is on monitor 1 (such that the PC1 is active) and when on
> monitor 2 (so that PC2 is active). The advantage of this would be to have
> one monitor for each PC, increasing desktop space and making housekeeping
> easier, whilst also keeping the advantage of a single keyboard and mouse.
>
> Is there any way to achieve this? I'm thinking that maybe if a dual
> monitor setup requires 2 video outputs from each PC, then my simple KVM
> won't have enough inputs to handle this. Any advice in this regard?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tanel.

Heaps of them out there, ever tried 'Goggle'?

http://www.google.com/search?q=dual+...x=&startPage=1

Paul.

JANA 09-17-2007 12:33 PM

Re: Sharing a monitor Part 2

If you want to have a true dual monitor set-up for each PC, and you want a
dual monitor work station that can share, you will need a dual KVM switch.

Remember, that when using any KVM switch there will be a loss of resolution
to the output. This is normal, unless you want to spend a lot of money and
build up a system that is dedicated for this.

Personaly, I would increase my work space and have separate monitors for
each computer. In fact, this is what we do at our installations. We only
use a KVM switch where any resolution losses are not an issue.

--

JANA
_____

Tanel Kagan 09-17-2007 04:36 PM

Re: Sharing a monitor Part 2

> Heaps of them out there, ever tried 'Goggle'?
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=dual+...x=&startPage=1

No - never tried Goggle. :-)

I have tried Google a few times though, and it's not so much about finding a
bit of gear, it's about how to set it up.

Tanel.

Tanel Kagan 09-17-2007 04:42 PM

Re: Sharing a monitor Part 2

For now, thanks for all the advice. It'll take a while for me to digest
this and I might need to pop back!

Tanel.

PeeCee 09-18-2007 12:44 AM

Re: Sharing a monitor Part 2

"Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Heaps of them out there, ever tried 'Goggle'?
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=dual+...x=&startPage=1

> No - never tried Goggle. :-)
>
> I have tried Google a few times though, and it's not so much about finding
> a bit of gear, it's about how to set it up.
>
> Tanel.

Tanel

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...+dual+monitors

The KVM connects between the two PC's exactly the same but with an
additional VGA or DVI lead.

OTOH and if you want the ultimate in flexibility look at the idea used here
http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/a...linux-windows/
with software from here
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=300224
Userguide here
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/running.html
Or here
http://www.engadget.com/2005/08/09/h...-with-synergy/

Note the above were all from Google searches, the 'trick' with Google is to
ask the right question.
If you are not getting the answer you want change the question.

P.