Velocity Reviews

-   -   HP 6980 - won't properly connect "securely" via wireless - only "unsecurely" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t536944-hp-6980-wont-properly-connect-securely-via-wireless-only-unsecurely.html)

----------@example.com 09-13-2007 11:11 AM

HP 6980 - won't properly connect "securely" via wireless - only "unsecurely"

Attempted to set up a HP6980 for a neighbour, expecting it to be easy -
connected to a Toshiba laptop via a Draytek 2800G wireless router

But the wireless printing only seems to work when the printer has *no*
encryption set. If the printer has no encryption set, it prints fine.

Setting up using the "manual" option - via Ethernet cable connecting
router to printer - all seems fine... until the Ethernet cable is
removed. At that point, the printer seems unable to find the router
wirelessly - the printer's network indicator light blinks ( indicating
"no connection" ).

It seems that the problem only occurs if the printer is being set to use
encryption. The connection between laptop and router is WEP. If the
printer is set to use WEP it can't find the router, but if the printer
is set to use no encryption it works fine.

( Filtering by MAC address has been set in the router, and that seems to
be fine. )

Any suggestions or comments at this point ? :|

wisdomkiller & pain 09-13-2007 12:10 PM

[OT] Re: HP 6980 - won't properly connect "securely" via wireless - only "unsecurely"

----------@example.com wrote:

> Attempted to set up a HP6980 for a neighbour, expecting it to be easy -
> connected to a Toshiba laptop via a Draytek 2800G wireless router

That reminds me of the times HP also had a analytical device dept.,
now "Agilent". A "HP6890" (a slight numbershifting only) at that time
was/is a well-known gas chromatograph (ya know CSI?)

> But the wireless printing only seems to work when the printer has *no*
> encryption set. If the printer has no encryption set, it prints fine.
>
> Setting up using the "manual" option - via Ethernet cable connecting
> router to printer - all seems fine... until the Ethernet cable is
> removed. At that point, the printer seems unable to find the router
> wirelessly - the printer's network indicator light blinks ( indicating
> "no connection" ).

You have set the SSID as well?

> It seems that the problem only occurs if the printer is being set to use
> encryption. The connection between laptop and router is WEP. If the
> printer is set to use WEP it can't find the router, but if the printer
> is set to use no encryption it works fine.

WEP is a joke anyway. Forget about that.

> ( Filtering by MAC address has been set in the router, and that seems to
> be fine. )

MAC filtering is a joke as well, since most drivers allow to set
the "network address" under "advanced settings".
Since I may imagine you don't move around the printer very often,
rather set wireless security to WPA if your other devices are capable,
and connect the printer to your router via cable.