Velocity Reviews

-   -   Power of the color wheel (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t536782-power-of-the-color-wheel.html)

Travis Newbury 09-12-2007 05:22 PM

Power of the color wheel

Ok, I have kept quite for several years now but the last site I looked
at made me speak up.

<rant>
One of the biggest design errors I see on most sites is the God awful
choices people choose for colors. The exact same design can go from
looks ok, to looks awesome by simply using a color chart or color
wheel to pick your colors. People do not realize how much color plays
a part in our lives and how we react to things, including selling
something or keeping one's attention.

There are a ton of free pallet creators that allow you to enter in the
base color (or an image) and it produced the color pallet for your
selection. google "color wheel" for a list. Most good drawing
programs have this functionality built in, or available as a macro or
add on.

Try it, if you used css it should be pretty easy to switch colors
around a little. Take you non complimentary color site and put it
side by side with one you used a color wheel on and see if that alone
does not improve the look of your site.
</rant>

Adrienne Boswell 09-13-2007 05:35 AM

Re: Power of the color wheel

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
<TravisNewbury@hotmail.com> writing in news:1189617752.189181.66830@
57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

> One of the biggest design errors I see on most sites is the God awful
> choices people choose for colors. The exact same design can go from
> looks ok, to looks awesome by simply using a color chart or color
> wheel to pick your colors. People do not realize how much color plays
> a part in our lives and how we react to things, including selling
> something or keeping one's attention.

What's really funny about this is all the graphic designers turned web
designers who suddenly forget about color. Eh?

Now, I am working on a site <http://www.hazbethlaneinfo.com>, and I had
the swatches from the architect. Great! Colors are already chosen -
maybe the RBG values are on the paint card? No. Okay, go the the
manufacturers website. Have to install a newer version of Flash. Okay.
Maybe an RGB? Nope. Still have to use an eyedropper from TopStyle (Yes
I could have used the FF ext, but I wasn't running FF at the time). One
thing I did do was great a class for each paint name - won't use it,
just to have so I can remember which color is which.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services