Velocity Reviews

-   -   printer sharing on home network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t536381-printer-sharing-on-home-network.html)

=?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?= 09-11-2007 10:28 AM

printer sharing on home network

my main computers running xp home my laptops running vista. try as i might, i
cant share my printer to my laptop. went through recommended "tech" sites
still no joy. keep getting window saying "WINDOWS CANNOT CONNECT TO THE
PRINTER. ACCESS IS DENIED" anyone with any advice please...have configured
sharing on my xp machine but on my vista lap. in the network and sharing
centre, under printer sharing, it wont let me share saying "no printers
installed"...have turned off all firewalls. tx in advance........

Bill 09-11-2007 11:21 AM

Re: printer sharing on home network

Make sure both PC and laptop have the same computer workgroup name..Vista
calls it WORKGROUP and I think XP called it MSHOME or something like that. I
had the same problem and renamed the XP PC to match the Vista name. Then
make sure you share you right click the printer properties and turn on
sharing

good luck

Bill

=?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?= 09-11-2007 12:06 PM

Re: printer sharing on home network

tx bill but did that too. although called both workgroups mshome( would that
be suitable), still status quo.

Bill 09-11-2007 12:09 PM

Re: printer sharing on home network

I guess it should work with MSHOME. Did you run the Vista home network
wizard as well and can you at least see both computers in the network
workgroup? Don't know what else to suggest

I decided to call both WORKGROUP since that was the vista default and the
vista PC was the newer one

=?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?= 09-11-2007 01:00 PM

Re: printer sharing on home network

yep ran wizard,no probs, and can see both comps....im baffled too, tx anyway

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?= 09-11-2007 01:32 PM

RE: printer sharing on home network

Have you installed the printer on the Vista laptop ??

MD

=?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?= 09-11-2007 02:24 PM

RE: printer sharing on home network

er..mmmm.....i.... er.....probaly not,jeez, i have to do that?. **** ok
madDog, show me how.

=?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?= 09-11-2007 02:32 PM

RE: printer sharing on home network

hi madDog p.s. in control (vista lap) going to add printer ..it finds my xp
comp. printer but a windows appears saying windows cannot connect to printer
access denied.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?= 09-11-2007 02:36 PM

RE: printer sharing on home network

I don't know about Vista, but if it's the same as on my XP box, go to Start
-> Settings -> Printers and Faxes -> Add Printer. (Or Start -> Settings ->
Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> Add Printer) This will bring up the
"Add Printer Wizard". One of the choices is to add a network printer or a
printer connected to another computer. Good luck.

MD

Gordon 09-11-2007 02:36 PM

> hi madDog p.s. in control (vista lap) going to add printer ..it finds my
> xp
> comp. printer but a windows appears saying windows cannot connect to
> printer
> access denied.

Have you got identical Users with identical passwords set up on both
machines?