Velocity Reviews

-   -   connect wireless network laptop desktop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t534677-connect-wireless-network-laptop-desktop.html)

mooky 09-04-2007 12:45 AM

connect wireless network laptop desktop

I am getting the Gateway MX8738 notebook that comes with Vista Home
Premium and wanted to know how to set up a wireless network with my
desktop which has XP home. The notebook has a Wireless Setup Card with
it. Also wanting to know about conserving battery life since I read
the life isn't that great....thanks in advance.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 09-04-2007 01:25 AM

Re: connect wireless network laptop desktop

Hi
The solution depends on the Internet connection as well.
Usually people get a Wireless Cable/DSL Router.
The Router connects to the Internet Modem (assuming that you have Cable or
DSL) and can be connected with wire (or Wireless) to the desktop, and
Wirelessly with the laptop.
Once both computers are configured and can connect to the Internet you can
set the sharing and connect the two computers locally.
The system look like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings,
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:1188866712.974537.305050@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...

mooky 09-04-2007 01:26 AM

Re: connect wireless network laptop desktop

On Sep 3, 8:25 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." <J...@DiscussIssues.net>
wrote:
> Hi
> The solution depends on the Internet connection as well.
> Usually people get a Wireless Cable/DSL Router.
> The Router connects to the Internet Modem (assuming that you have Cable or
> DSL) and can be connected with wire (or Wireless) to the desktop, and
> Wirelessly with the laptop.
> Once both computers are configured and can connect to the Internet you can
> set the sharing and connect the two computers locally.
> The system look like this,http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
> Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> allowed to be shared.
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
> Basic XP -http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesh...
> Advanced XP -http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
> Printer Sharing XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_...
> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "mooky" <mooky9...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1188866712.974537.305050@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...
>
> >I am getting the Gateway MX8738 notebook that comes with Vista Home
> > Premium and wanted to know how to set up a wireless network with my
> > desktop which has XP home. The notebook has a Wireless Setup Card with
> > it. Also wanting to know about conserving battery life since I read
> > the life isn't that great....thanks in advance.

Thanks so much for the info..I am on cble by the way..I'll check out
the linkage...thanks again

mooky 09-04-2007 12:20 PM

Re: connect wireless network laptop desktop

Also wanted to know how to connect the 2 together through the Ethernet
connection if I can't get wireless right away so I can transfer files
from XP to Vista....can I do it with a regular CAT5 cable if I do not
have a crossover cable? thanks

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 09-05-2007 01:08 AM

Re: connect wireless network laptop desktop

Hi
The files sharing works the same with Wireless and wire.
So if you have both you do the same as described above.

news:1188908459.909493.264790@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...