Velocity Reviews

-   -   Scanner for large batches of Slides (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t534176-scanner-for-large-batches-of-slides.html)

Toby 09-01-2007 06:21 AM

Scanner for large batches of Slides

Hello

Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
standard, not slide projectors.

In the couse for a lecture he might use 50-60 slides to illustrate his
talk. What he'd like to do is scan the slides he needs for his lecturte
and show then via the projector - possibly on Powerpoint.

His main concerns are:

- finding a scanner that can do large batches of slides at once

- finding a solution that means the resulting pictures do not need to be
extensively tweaked in an editor

Options he's considered are the Epson Perfection 4990 and the Canon
9950F - both of which (I think) do 12 slides at a time. These cost about
250 UKP and I doubt he'd want to spend more than that.

Any other advice or options?

Bear in mind that the main thing is to get a big batch scanned at once -
quality only need to be adequate for the projector. He's not going to be
printing enlargements.

Thanks

Toby

Malcolm Stewart 09-01-2007 07:59 AM

Re: Scanner for large batches of Slides

"Toby" <toby@no.spam.please.apiary-dot-org-dot-uk> wrote in message
news:Xns999E4ACA621F2tobyapairyorguk@80.5.182.99.. .
> Hello
>
> Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
> thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
> have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
> standard, not slide projectors.

....>
> Options he's considered are the Epson Perfection 4990 and the Canon
> 9950F - both of which (I think) do 12 slides at a time. These cost about
> 250 UKP and I doubt he'd want to spend more than that.
> Thanks
> Toby

Nikon used to offer some device which fed slides into one (or more?) of
their scanners, and I think it was designed to allow the medical sector to
do automated bulk scanning. I'd recommend finding the type number, and then
ebay? All scanning software, I think, can be set to a low res. mode.

I have an Epson 4870 scanner which does a batch at a time - and it's slow to
load, and fiddly.

(It would certainly be cheaper for your friend to buy and carry around his
own projector, if much less convenient. Kodak SAVs now go for ~120.)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

ray 09-01-2007 03:01 PM

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:21:11 +0000, Toby wrote:

> Hello
>
> Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
> thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
> have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
> standard, not slide projectors.
>
> In the couse for a lecture he might use 50-60 slides to illustrate his
> talk. What he'd like to do is scan the slides he needs for his lecturte
> and show then via the projector - possibly on Powerpoint.
>
> His main concerns are:
>
> - finding a scanner that can do large batches of slides at once
>
> - finding a solution that means the resulting pictures do not need to be
> extensively tweaked in an editor
>
> Options he's considered are the Epson Perfection 4990 and the Canon
> 9950F - both of which (I think) do 12 slides at a time. These cost about
> 250 UKP and I doubt he'd want to spend more than that.
>
> Any other advice or options?
>
> Bear in mind that the main thing is to get a big batch scanned at once -
> quality only need to be adequate for the projector. He's not going to be
> printing enlargements.
>
> Thanks
>
> Toby

Thousands of slides are going to take months of time to scan. If he can
afford it, a professional service would be a lot less nerve racking - it's
just going to take a LONG time to do it himself.

09-02-2007 05:26 AM

Re: Scanner for large batches of Slides

In article <Xns999E4ACA621F2tobyapairyorguk@80.5.182.99>,
toby@no.spam.please.apiary-dot-org-dot-uk says...
> Hello
>
> Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
> thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
> have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
> standard, not slide projectors.
>
> In the couse for a lecture he might use 50-60 slides to illustrate his
> talk. What he'd like to do is scan the slides he needs for his lecturte
> and show then via the projector - possibly on Powerpoint.
>
> His main concerns are:
>
> - finding a scanner that can do large batches of slides at once
>
> - finding a solution that means the resulting pictures do not need to be
> extensively tweaked in an editor

If his slides are already in magazines, he might want to look at the
Braun Multimag scanner -- it's specifically designed for this sort of
application, the scanner is built like a slide projector, it takes your
existing slide trays and loads the slides one at a time from them to
scan.

http://tinyurl.com/25ugcd

It's more expensive than you said he's looking at, but I would think the
labor savings would more than make up for the higher price.

He could also look at re-selling the used scanner on e-Bay once he's
done with it, the way many scanners sell there, he might get back all he
paid for it.

--
josh@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

David Sommers 09-02-2007 03:39 PM

Re: Scanner for large batches of Slides

For me, the ultimate choice was the Pacific Digital 3650. It's identical to
the Braun at half the price. http://www.scanace.com/en/product/ps3650ice.php
B&H is a good source for this. I also bought Braun 100 slide carrousels from
them special order.

Bye.

"Toby" <toby@no.spam.please.apiary-dot-org-dot-uk> wrote in message
news:Xns999E4ACA621F2tobyapairyorguk@80.5.182.99.. .
> Hello
>
> Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
> thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
> have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
> standard, not slide projectors.

[.....]

Roger (K8RI) 09-03-2007 08:00 PM

Re: Scanner for large batches of Slides

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:21:11 GMT, Toby
<toby@no.spam.please.apiary-dot-org-dot-uk> wrote:

>Hello
>
>Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
>thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
>have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
>standard, not slide projectors.
>
>In the couse for a lecture he might use 50-60 slides to illustrate his
>talk. What he'd like to do is scan the slides he needs for his lecturte
>and show then via the projector - possibly on Powerpoint.
>
>His main concerns are:
>
>- finding a scanner that can do large batches of slides at once
>
>- finding a solution that means the resulting pictures do not need to be
>extensively tweaked in an editor
>
>Options he's considered are the Epson Perfection 4990 and the Canon
>9950F - both of which (I think) do 12 slides at a time. These cost about
>250 UKP and I doubt he'd want to spend more than that.

I think there are better choices than these. Josh and David have
brought up two excellent choices. As I do slides, film strips, and
negatives I went with the Nikon LS5000 with an auto slide feeder. I
believe that feeder was also mentioned. For bulk feeding I'd
definitely go with Josh or David's suggestions. The Nikon SF 200 and
210 work with good slides, but they will hang with older paper slides
that are warped or have belled edges. Some plastic mounts require
being positioned properly regardless of the image orientation, which
is easily done.

The two scanners suggested would allow loading between one and two
hours worth of work that would not require constant attention. My
SF210 seems to wait for me to turn my back before jamming.

>Any other advice or options?
>
>Bear in mind that the main thing is to get a big batch scanned at once -
>quality only need to be adequate for the projector. He's not going to be
>printing enlargements.

It depends, but I always figured for an image large enough to look
good for a reasonable size audience the image needed to be pretty good
quality, after all these are slides, not a power point presentation.

Roger

Toby 09-08-2007 08:36 AM

Re: Scanner for large batches of Slides

Toby <toby@no.spam.please.apiary-dot-org-dot-uk> wrote in

> Hello
>
> [snip]
>
> Bear in mind that the main thing is to get a big batch scanned at once -
> quality only need to be adequate for the projector. He's not going to be
> printing enlargements.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Some options to consider there. Have
managed to find someone who can lend him a Nikon slide scanner
(unfortunately without the adapter for large batches) so will give that a
go before any money is spent.

Toby