Velocity Reviews

-   -   File Sharing Monitoring (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t534135-file-sharing-monitoring.html)

Robson Tovo 08-31-2007 11:32 PM

File Sharing Monitoring

Hi folks.

I'd like to know if someone knows a program that monitors (or
generates a log) that tells you when someone is downloading some file
you shared in the windows network?

Thanks in advance.

[]'s

why? 08-31-2007 11:47 PM

Re: File Sharing Monitoring

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:32:32 -0000, Robson Tovo wrote:

>Hi folks.
>
>I'd like to know if someone knows a program that monitors (or

There are several, www.google.com . There are quite a few MS Windows (of
some version) Microsoft newsgroups , forums and FAQ / HOWTO sites.

>generates a log) that tells you when someone is downloading some file
>you shared in the windows network?

Well if you have an NT/2000/XP/Vista setup and/or servers and a domain
setup you could if you really wish enable auditing in the security tab.
You can audit failures / success for 15 types of access events.

Then you could search www.google.com for any number of event log
monitoring , export and processing tools. There are even several Win32
modules to access the event logs if you prefer to script something
yourself in Perl, another language or maybe even any of the free MS
Visual Express tools, C+= C#, J#, Visual Basic.

www.google.com perhaps these?

Monitoring file usage - .NET C#
Monitoring file usage. Get answers to your questions in our . ... been
able to figure out is if there is a way to monitor when a file is
opened. ...
www.thescripts.com/forum/thread258250.html - 30k - Cached - Similar
pages

Pie Disk Usage Downloads - PMP is a performance monitor for remote ...
Free network disk usage monitoring for Windows servers and workstations.
.... find duplicate files, examine your disk usage, monitor files and
directories ...
http://pcwin.com/popular/Pie_disk_usage-1.htm - 67k - Cached - Similar
pages

Usage Monitor Software
Server Monitor can watch: Event logs on local and remote Windows servers
CPU and memory usage Free local and server disk space Changed files and
directories ...
www.filedudes.com/files/Usage_Monitor.html - 52k - Cached - Similar
pages

>Thanks in advance.
>
>[]'s

Me

John Holmes 09-01-2007 12:27 PM

Re: File Sharing Monitoring

Robson Tovo "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Hi folks.
>
> I'd like to know if someone knows a program that monitors (or
> generates a log) that tells you when someone is downloading some file
> you shared in the windows network?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> []'s

There's a basic monitor build in XPPro (assuming you use that), in computer
management>shared folders you'll see "sessions" and "open files". In
"sessions" you can see which user is connected from which computer, in
"open files" you'll see which folders and files are in use per user. Maybe
that's what you're looking for?

--
Your mother was a pagan derelict who used to meditate under canvas.