Velocity Reviews

-   -   ripped off by itunes HELP! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t533873-ripped-off-by-itunes-help.html)

Muze Gruppes 08-31-2007 12:09 AM

ripped off by itunes HELP!

I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-31-2007 12:22 AM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

FairPlay DRM http://tinyurl.com/229pcm
--
200,000 Elliptical Galaxies Point the Same Way
http://science.slashdot.org/science/.../1516224.shtml

jinny@somewhere.com 08-31-2007 01:53 AM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:09:11 -0400, Muze Gruppes
<muzegroops@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
>signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
>I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
>it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

Get some software that will record the output of your soundcard to an
MP3 like....

http://www.nowsmart.com/arwizard/

You'll end up with an MP3 (256kbps) minus DRM which you'll be able to
play on *any* sofware music player.

Meat Plow 08-31-2007 03:16 AM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:09:11 -0400, Muze Gruppes wrote:

> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
> signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
> I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
> it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

Hahahahahah welcome to buying something that can only be played on an ipod.
There are however apps that can convert the protected file to an m4a or
mp3, just google it.

thanatoid 08-31-2007 04:09 AM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

Muze Gruppes <muzegroops@nyc.rr.com> wrote in

> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2
> tracks. In the signup process they said the music was
> 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead I got 2 .M4P files that
> foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only it seems) Is
> there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from
> apple...

You're a regular Usenet user and you PAID to join iTunes? WHAT
is your problem? Need a clue or something?

Use the Usenet while we still have it, dude.

As for mp4, there are plugins for the countless audio converters
that will convert this sort of new format to anything you want.
I don't know about the DRM part because I don't use Vista and I
like the Usenet, so can't help you there.

--
"This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
- illyria

Mitch 08-31-2007 05:04 AM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

In article <174mmc.13p.19.1@news.alt.net>, Meat Plow
<meat@petitmorte.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:09:11 -0400, Muze Gruppes wrote:
>
> > I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
> > signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
> > I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
> > it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
> > Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

> Hahahahahah welcome to buying something that can only be played on an ipod.

Not true, not correct in even the smallest way.

> There are however apps that can convert the protected file to an m4a or
> mp3, just google it.

Yes; and iTunes makes it VERY easy.

Mitch 08-31-2007 05:14 AM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

In article <46d75c24$0$31902$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Muze Gruppes
<muzegroops@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
> signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
> I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
> it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

Well, first, you probably got EXACTLY what you paid for, so don't get
so excited.

Now, if you want to change the format of the file, do this:
Go to preferences>Advanced>Import
choose the format and data rate you want to output to
Select the tracks
Choose "Convert Selection" command

Now, you have the file in the format you want, even without DRM.

Even if it has DRM, you can burn it as an audio CD to listen somewhere
else, if you want.

You see, the problem wasn't that you got ripped off -- it's that the
first thing you wanted to do with the purchase was avoid using it where
it was meant to be used -- in iTunes!
If you had done that, the world was open with possibility.

Smirnoff 08-31-2007 08:10 AM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

"Mitch" <mitch@hawaii.rr> wrote in message
> In article <46d75c24$0$31902$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Muze Gruppes
> <muzegroops@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
>> signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks.
>> Instead
>> I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can
>> (only
>> it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or
>> .mp3
>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

> Well, first, you probably got EXACTLY what you paid for, so don't get
> so excited.
>
> Now, if you want to change the format of the file, do this:
> Go to preferences>Advanced>Import
> choose the format and data rate you want to output to
> Select the tracks
> Choose "Convert Selection" command
>
> Now, you have the file in the format you want, even without DRM.
>
> Even if it has DRM, you can burn it as an audio CD to listen somewhere
> else, if you want.
>

> You see, the problem wasn't that you got ripped off -- it's that the
> first thing you wanted to do with the purchase was avoid using it
> where
> it was meant to be used -- in iTunes!
> If you had done that, the world was open with possibility.

I'm not the OP but found your answer very informative, thanks for that.
I notice that you can use the custom settings in Importing to select
256kbps. There are also other options to choose (VBR, quality, normal or
joint stereo etc). What are the best/realistic settings for these
options?
Also, I notice that you refer to DRM (Digital Rights Management, if I
recall correctly), which I believe restricts your ability to copy/play
files in some way. I cannot see an option to remove this, is there one?

Muze Gruppes 08-31-2007 02:24 PM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
> Muze Gruppes <muzegroops@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2 tracks. In the
>> signup process they said the music was 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead
>> I got 2 .M4P files that foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only
>> it seems) Is there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from apple...

> FairPlay DRM http://tinyurl.com/229pcm

Apple said in a big announcement that itunes would no longer be DRM

I read the statement when signing up and I checked the box that said
basically that I wan't non-DRM tracks (yes there was actually a box to
check) and INSTEAD I got a non .AAC track. And to the guy who claimed I
was stupid and I've been on USENET for a while and should know better, I
tried to find these 2 tracks on SOULSEEK but couldn't find in anywhere
so Itunes was the last place to find them and I REALLY wanted the tracks
so that's where I looked.

Muze Gruppes 08-31-2007 02:28 PM

Re: ripped off by itunes HELP!

thanatoid wrote:
> Muze Gruppes <muzegroops@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> I signed up for the itunes service today and bought 2
>> tracks. In the signup process they said the music was
>> 256kbps VBR .AAC tracks. Instead I got 2 .M4P files that
>> foobar2000 cannot play but Quicktime can (only it seems) Is
>> there a way/progranm to change these files to .aac or .mp3
>> Hell even .wma! That's the last time I but music from
>> apple...

> You're a regular Usenet user and you PAID to join iTunes? WHAT
> is your problem? Need a clue or something?
>
> Use the Usenet while we still have it, dude.
>
> As for mp4, there are plugins for the countless audio converters
> that will convert this sort of new format to anything you want.
> I don't know about the DRM part because I don't use Vista and I
> like the Usenet, so can't help you there.

Uh, normally I use soulseek or even emusic.com (cheap and non-DRM)
APPLE said that they were going non-DRM and I could not find these 2
tracks on Soulseek or emusic.com so itunes it turned out was the last
source to acquiring these 2 songs. And LIMEWIRE sucks monkey balls so
don't even get me started there.

So no I don't need a clue. Apparently you did so I gave you some.