Velocity Reviews

-   -   Image orientation changes (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t533520-image-orientation-changes.html)

jibbajibba 08-29-2007 04:15 PM

Image orientation changes

Hi,

I have written a page that recreates a tarot card reading using drag
and drop. It's all well and good but one last thing is bothering me.
In a Celtic cross tarot card reading there is a card that crosses the
signifer. What this means in web page terms is that I need to be able
to display an image at a different orientation. Rather than have the
image top pointing upwards I need the top of the image to point left.
Now as this image can be any one of the cards in the deck I don't want
to recreate each of them as a different version with the correct
orientation I want to use the same image but adjust the orientation on
the page.

Ideally I would also like to use some sort of drag animation for the
card back when I deal (drag) a card onto this position (currently I
use an alternate image with the card back rotated 90 degrees)

Anyone seen anything that can achieve this ?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan N. Little 08-29-2007 05:18 PM

Re: Image orientation changes

jibbajibba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have written a page that recreates a tarot card reading using drag
> and drop. It's all well and good but one last thing is bothering me.
> In a Celtic cross tarot card reading there is a card that crosses the
> signifer. What this means in web page terms is that I need to be able
> to display an image at a different orientation. Rather than have the
> image top pointing upwards I need the top of the image to point left.
> Now as this image can be any one of the cards in the deck I don't want
> to recreate each of them as a different version with the correct
> orientation I want to use the same image but adjust the orientation on
> the page.
>
> Ideally I would also like to use some sort of drag animation for the
> card back when I deal (drag) a card onto this position (currently I
> use an alternate image with the card back rotated 90 degrees)
>
> Anyone seen anything that can achieve this ?

Not in HTML, use flash...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Travis Newbury 08-29-2007 08:46 PM

Re: Image orientation changes

On Aug 29, 1:18 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
wrote:
> > Anyone seen anything that can achieve this ?

> Not in HTML, use flash...

I'm sitting in hell and suddenly it starts snowing... ;-)

Neredbojias 08-30-2007 01:17 AM

Re: Image orientation changes

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:46:11 GMT
Travis Newbury scribed:

> On Aug 29, 1:18 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
> wrote:
>> > Anyone seen anything that can achieve this ?

>> Not in HTML, use flash...

> I'm sitting in hell and suddenly it starts snowing... ;-)

I think he was bit by a rabid Ibizan.

--
Neredbojias

Jonathan N. Little 08-30-2007 01:34 AM

Travis Newbury wrote:
> On Aug 29, 1:18 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
> wrote:
>>> Anyone seen anything that can achieve this ?

>> Not in HTML, use flash...

> I'm sitting in hell and suddenly it starts snowing... ;-)

I'm not against flash all together--what OP wants is some fancy
animation which flash is far better suited than HTML+JavaScript. Use
flash. What I object to is flash used to make a general site where HTML
is better suited.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

jibbajibba 08-30-2007 09:03 AM

Re: Image orientation changes

Thanks for the help guys. I don't want to use FLASH (it's a bit of
overkill just to rotate one image) but I have found a php snippet that
might work or apparently for IE only there is a rotate property on the
BasicImage object so I might be able to compromise and allow the IE
guys to see the whole thing and everyone else to see a slightly
different screen (if the php doesn;t work)

Thanks for your help though.

Travis Newbury 08-30-2007 09:05 AM

Re: Image orientation changes

On Aug 29, 9:34 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
wrote:
> >> Not in HTML, use flash...

> > I'm sitting in hell and suddenly it starts snowing... ;-)

> I'm not against flash all together...

I just get all excited when someone other than myself says something
like that.

Jukka K. Korpela 08-30-2007 09:27 AM

Re: Image orientation changes

Scripsit Travis Newbury:

>>> I'm sitting in hell and suddenly it starts snowing... ;-)

>> I'm not against flash all together...

> I just get all excited when someone other than myself says something
> like that.

They don't mean it - they just say so to get you excited, and then...

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Travis Newbury 08-30-2007 09:33 AM

On Aug 30, 5:27 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorp...@cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> > I just get all excited when someone other than myself says something
> > like that.

> They don't mean it - they just say so to get you excited, and then...

Damn, just like my wife...

Jukka K. Korpela 08-30-2007 11:49 AM

Re: Image orientation changes

Scripsit Travis Newbury:

> On Aug 30, 5:27 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorp...@cs.tut.fi> wrote:
>>> I just get all excited when someone other than myself says something
>>> like that.

>> They don't mean it - they just say so to get you excited, and then...

> Damn, just like my wife...

Wife? Since when are alt.html'ers allowed to have a wife? Or life?

PS: Travis, email to your address bounces back.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/