Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mk III Firmware Update V1.1.1 Available! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t533141-mk-iii-firmware-update-v1-1-1-available.html)

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?= 08-28-2007 12:53 AM

Mk III Firmware Update V1.1.1 Available!

For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down by not
releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk III came with
V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The early adopters get to
do it for a second time.

Rita

Annika1980 08-28-2007 01:23 AM

Re: Mk III Firmware Update V1.1.1 Available!

On Aug 27, 8:53 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> My Mk III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin.

Without the terror of worrying about her father coming busting through
the door.

uw wayne 08-28-2007 03:06 AM

On Aug 27, 7:53 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down by not
> releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk III came with
> V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The early adopters get to
> do it for a second time.
>
> Rita

Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we did
not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

D_Mac 08-28-2007 10:01 AM

On Aug 28, 10:53 am, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down by not
> releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk III came with
> V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The early adopters get to
> do it for a second time.
>
> Rita

With Canon's track record on this, They need to release 3 updates in
the first 2 months to get the beta model they released to the public,
actually working pre-release version.

The first one is to stuff up something version 1.0 never had in the
first place under the pretence they were fixing a problem everyone
else reported but you never had.

The second one to balls it up completely and require a "return to
Canon visit" for a "reset". I have it from a reliable source that this
is when Canon actually fix the problem by replacing a few circuit
boards and tell you they just pressed a few buttons to fix it.

Then they release a 3rd update to make you feel better. It just
corrects the way an Apollonian "x" is written in custom function 58,
option 16. This is a real public relations coup too. You start to feel
all warm and fuzzy again... Right up to the point where you buy that
fantastic new lens they release to get within 80% of the camera's
resolving power and discover it only focus' in Program mode and the
upgrade cycle needs to be started all over again but this time with
the lens!

Now if you think this is all wild imagination, look at the history of
firstly, the 10D then the 20D and then when everyone was starting to
think Canon was succeeding in ruling the world... Out comes the world
beating "Made in China to save money" ...magic lens they did a recall
on is released!

Oh yes... The infamous battery grip and the AA battery fiasco. That
was really cool recalled too! I even have one of the grip's they
replaced. Before They did, it drained both batteries evenly. Just
wouldn't work with AA batteries. Now it drains only one battery!. When
the camera dies at a critical time - usually when the bride is at the
point you can finally get the shot of shots... You have to pop the
batteries and swap them around and reboot the camera!

Amazing that it only took the illustrious market leader - Canon, 6
weeks to get that stuff up back to me. I can't be bothered sending it
back for a second hit. I swear they send all the bloody rejects from
the US to Australia!

About this time they'll release a "new" model like when they let the
30D out of the closet. The buggers should have given every 20D owner a
30D for free. You can say all you want about Nikon being behind the 8
ball with their cameras but at least they don't torture their
customers like the famous Canon water torture trick. It was a real
marketing killer coup to let out that they'd made the battery
compartment watertight on the yet to be troubled by dud firmware...
40D.

I won't be bothering with any more Canon cameras. When the ones I have
now die, I'll buy something else... Anything else has just got to be
more reliable than the crap they sell.

Doug

Wolfgang Weisselberg 08-28-2007 01:14 PM

Re: Mk III Firmware Update V1.1.1 Available!

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]

Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04@aol.com> wrote:
> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down by not
> releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk III came with
> V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The early adopters get to
> do it for a second time.

I don't know about you, but I regard that as A GOOD THING(tm).

Without you paying an extra cent, or buying a later model, your
camera gets better monthly.

BTW: Anyone owning a Mk III now is still an early adopter.

-Wolfgang

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?= 08-28-2007 10:16 PM

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

>> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down
>> by not releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk
>> III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The
>> early adopters get to do it for a second time.

> I don't know about you, but I regard that as A GOOD THING(tm).

No, getting it right the first time before it leaves the factory is more
important than a bunch of ****ed off customers.

> Without you paying an extra cent, or buying a later model, your
> camera gets better monthly.

No, it just gets closer to being what it should have been before leaving the
factory.

> BTW: Anyone owning a Mk III now is still an early adopter.

Nope, it's sprinting towards obsolescence.

Rita

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?= 08-28-2007 10:18 PM

uw wayne wrote:

>> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down
>> by not releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk
>> III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The
>> early adopters get to do it for a second time.
>>
>> Rita

> Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we did
> not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

I'm not ashamed of being a virgin when it comes to Canon's excessive
updates.

Rita

ASAAR 08-29-2007 06:49 AM

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:18:10 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>> Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we did
>> not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

> I'm not ashamed of being a virgin when it comes to
> Canon's excessive updates.

You can't count on that paying off, since you know that Canon's
engineering department never did, and never will have what it takes
to develop an immaculate conception.

Wolfgang Weisselberg 08-29-2007 03:50 PM

Re: Mk III Firmware Update V1.1.1 Available!

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04@aol.com> wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

>>> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down
>>> by not releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk
>>> III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The
>>> early adopters get to do it for a second time.

>> I don't know about you, but I regard that as A GOOD THING(tm).

> No, getting it right the first time before it leaves the factory is more
> important than a bunch of ****ed off customers.

Microsoft has become a very huge company, delivering broken
software, and claiming
"There are no bugs in any Microsoft software that the majority of
users want fixed" -- Bill Gates
.. Worse, a camera bug will at worst make your camera unusable,
but it will not reveal your personal information, you diary, your
emails, etc. Nor will the worst camera bug cause your camera
to attack other camera and camera networks at will, using it to
sending "extend your lens" spams, do penny stock manipulation,
cause people to give their cameras to strangers which will run
off with it, or cause them to have and distribute child porn from
their CF cards.

So yes, Canon fixing the rough edges that were not apparent as
such in testing but appear whem a thousandfold customer base with
very varied usage starts stressing the camera IS A GOOD THING(tm).

>> Without you paying an extra cent, or buying a later model, your
>> camera gets better monthly.

> No, it just gets closer to being what it should have been before leaving the
> factory.

We'll do the impossible immediately, but miracles take a bit
longer.

You _knew_ (or should have known) what you bought. Right?

If you didn't know you got a camera that may still have rough
edges, go talk to your legal guardian. :-) So yes, you still are
an early adopter. Once the price drops down more or less to the
approximate level at which'll be just before the follow-up camera
comes out and most bugs are ironed out, then the end of the early
adopter phase has been reached.

>> BTW: Anyone owning a Mk III now is still an early adopter.

> Nope, it's sprinting towards obsolescence.

I dunno about you, but my 20D, now 2 generations past the current
model, has not lost image quality nor has the usabiliy suffered
--- same as a good (though not neccessarily current) analog camera
with a good (though not neccessarily current) chemical film.

Keeping the 20D is free for me[1], upgrading will cost money.
I don't feel hemmed in by the capabilities of the 20D, I know
that I can get more out of the camera by learning even more about
it and exploiting all the capabilities it offers. So unless the
50D or 60D offers a "must have" feature for me, upgrading costs
a lot and gains little.

-Wolfgang

[1] - I already paid for the 20D.
- The resale value is small.
- The usage value is as high, no, higher[2] than on the
first day.
- buying a 30D or 40D costs more than the increase in
usage value will be for me, even selling the 20D.

[2] I know the camera much better these days, know much better how
it'll react and how to get what I need, and my RAW processing
capabilities have increased, both by simply learning better
and faster ways, and my RAW tools are improving by the month.

Wolfgang Weisselberg 08-29-2007 03:52 PM

Re: Mk III Firmware Update V1.1.1 Available!

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04@aol.com> wrote:
> uw wayne wrote:

>> Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we did
>> not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

> I'm not ashamed of being a virgin when it comes to Canon's excessive
> updates.

I gather you would use an unpatched windows without batting
an eye lash, either. After all, Redmond-ware updates are
excessive, and quite to late.

-Wolfgang