Velocity Reviews

-   -   Star Office 8 with XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t533008-star-office-8-with-xp.html)

Chaudhry Nijjhar 08-27-2007 01:33 PM

Star Office 8 with XP

Hi,

I downloaded Star Office 8 but it would not allow my Word documents to open.
How could I have both the programmes please?

--
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar

I use Win XP Professional. Intel

Any other information needed please?

Tester 08-27-2007 01:54 PM

Re: Star Office 8 with XP

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:33:30 GMT, "Chaudhry Nijjhar"
<chaudhry.nijjhar@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I downloaded Star Office 8 but it would not allow my Word documents to open.
>How could I have both the programmes please?

Which version of Office are you using? What kind of Word files? Word
2007 can use the older .doc files but it defaults to a new fangled
..docx file. I'm not sure if Star Office/ Open Office can handle .docx
files although I think they're just zip files of xml files so someone
MUST have written a converter.

See if this does what you want. It converts docx to html (web)

Mike Easter 08-27-2007 02:44 PM

Re: Star Office 8 with XP

Tester wrote:
> "Chaudhry Nijjhar"

>> I downloaded Star Office 8 but it would not allow my Word documents
>> to open. How could I have both the programmes please?

> Which version of Office are you using? What kind of Word files? Word
> 2007 can use the older .doc files but it defaults to a new fangled
> .docx file.

This excellent word processor review site discusses what is wrong with
Word 2007
http://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews...dex_fullh.html

.... and what is right with Star/Open Office and their doc formats.

The default Word 2007 docs are in a proprietary nonstandard (for
accepted values of standard) Open XML format. There is such a thing as
a converter/translator for the MS OXML
http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter OpenXML/ODF Translator
Add-in for Office -- to allow for interoperability between applications
based on ODF (OpenDocument) 1.0 standards and Microsoft OpenXML based
Office applications.

--
Mike Easter

Chaudhry Nijjhar 08-27-2007 10:40 PM

Re: Star Office 8 with XP

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message
> Tester wrote:
>> "Chaudhry Nijjhar"

>>> I downloaded Star Office 8 but it would not allow my Word documents
>>> to open. How could I have both the programmes please?

>> Which version of Office are you using? What kind of Word files? Word
>> 2007 can use the older .doc files but it defaults to a new fangled
>> .docx file.

> This excellent word processor review site discusses what is wrong with
> Word 2007
> http://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews...dex_fullh.html
>
> ... and what is right with Star/Open Office and their doc formats.
>
> The default Word 2007 docs are in a proprietary nonstandard (for
> accepted values of standard) Open XML format. There is such a thing as
> a converter/translator for the MS OXML
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter OpenXML/ODF Translator
> Add-in for Office -- to allow for interoperability between applications
> based on ODF (OpenDocument) 1.0 standards and Microsoft OpenXML based
> Office applications.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Thanks Mike. Let me try.

Rajinder

Chaudhry Nijjhar 08-27-2007 10:41 PM

Re: Star Office 8 with XP

I could not open my old Word2000 documents. So, I had to remove the Star
Office and then it worked.

Rajinder

news:tcl5d3h64ircj6chpdmnoio6mqt0jop188@entropy.or g...

Mike Easter 08-27-2007 11:17 PM

Re: Star Office 8 with XP

Chaudhry Nijjhar wrote:
> I could not open my old Word2000 documents. So, I had to remove the
> Star Office and then it worked.

Word 2000 doc problems for Star Office is a different set of problems
than Word 2007 problems.

<snip> Chances are that OpenOffice.org Writer is the default program for
Microsoft Word Documents (.doc) and Microsoft Word Templates (.dot)
after installing OpenOffice.org.

<snip> In most cases, the OpenOffice.org installer will give you the
chance to select whether or not OpenOffice.org should open Microsoft
Word Documents (including Templates) by default. Some users might have
missed or ignored this screen during installation.

<snip> If this is the case and you have the full version of Microsoft
Word (97 or higher), you can easily restore Microsoft Word to open these
documents without reinstalling or running the Detect and Repair tool.
</snip> http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=22441 Quickly
re-assign Microsoft Word to open Word Documents

--
Mike Easter