Velocity Reviews

-   -   Remote assistance working, then konked out... Help! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t532891-remote-assistance-working-then-konked-out-help.html)

Muze Gruppes 08-27-2007 12:10 AM

Remote assistance working, then konked out... Help!

I was using this last night to fix a friends computer (tons of trojans,
spyware, and she had NO firewall, even the Windows Sp2 FW was OFF)

Poor girl has no idea what she's doing... so anyway, everything was
going find, then her connection freaked, so I thought maybe the time
limit for remote assistance was over, so I told her to increase the time
that remote assistance will carry on, that didn't help.
So I tooled around with my firewall to see if I had inadvertently
made a boo boo on my end. Nothing helped. I would "accept remote
assistance help" from my friend, then a small window would come asking
for her to go ahead but she saw nothing. this would hang for a long time
or it would go into an add error message (I think it had to do with host
name resolution) PLUS twice last night Win Live Messenger signed me off
with an error code I could not decipher.
Then I tried with regular windows messenger (that horrid spam thing
from what I have read and heard, which oddly enough I've never ever
gotten spam from it, not sure why, maybe because I rarely used it).

My best guess is that ONCE in a while MSN/Windows Live Messenger has
connection problems that sometimes last around a 1/2 hour (not often
that this occurs) I checked with the messenger connection "checker" I
forgot the exact name, but it tells you whether there are any
network/server/whatever problems and it said that everything was fine.
(Like I should trust Multiple Skill-Ruckus)

Anyway, I need to finish the work I started last night and now I'm
thinking I should try netmeeting if Rem. asst doesn't work tonight. Only
problem , I used netmeeting once (a friend looked in my comp to check
things out) and I can't figure out where to find it in my computer Dell
8200 Sp2 XP Home

THANKS For your help :)))

Mr. Arnold 08-27-2007 12:25 AM

Re: Remote assistance working, then konked out... Help!

"Muze Gruppes" <muzegroops@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I was using this last night to fix a friends computer (tons of trojans,
>spyware, and she had NO firewall, even the Windows Sp2 FW was OFF)

If your friend does any financial stuff like banking, etc, etc. You should
tell her not to trust the computer as far as she can throw a building
somewhere, because detection software can and they do miss exploits, which
can still be on the computer. I worked with a guy who had Windows ME with
tons of malware running on the machine, due to his kids using the machine,
with no FW running ever. He had his bank account cleaned out.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0504.mspx