Velocity Reviews

-   -   stopping Vista tray balloon notifications (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t532691-stopping-vista-tray-balloon-notifications.html)

deno 08-25-2007 03:53 PM

stopping Vista tray balloon notifications

Every time I boot Vista, after disabling some startup programs
using run>msconfig, I get a tray notification balloon that says
"Windows has blocked some startup programs, click here to see
which ones."

Guess they really don't want you running it your way do they? I
haven't been able to find out how to disable this "feature," by
any web search. I know there was a registry edit to accomplish
this in XP...maybe I'll go over to tweakhound.com and see if I can
find that and see if it works.

Any help appreciated.

deno

deno 08-25-2007 06:14 PM

Now: Found my answer

deno wrote:
> Every time I boot Vista, after disabling some startup programs using
> run>msconfig, I get a tray notification balloon that says "Windows has
> blocked some startup programs, click here to see which ones."
>
> Guess they really don't want you running it your way do they? I haven't
> been able to find out how to disable this "feature," by any web search.
> I know there was a registry edit to accomplish this in XP...maybe I'll
> go over to tweakhound.com and see if I can find that and see if it works.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> deno

I found the answer here:
http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/page_4.htm
at the very bottom of that page, and IT WORKED, yeehaw.

For the un-initiated using regedit, please be careful and
read this persons warnings about possible consequences of messing
with the windows registry. Better yet, start at
the very beginning of his tutorials and read everything, doing
nothing until you feel you know understand. Will save
you tremendous headache and maybe even lots of money.

I'll say he may have had good reason for not describing exactly
how to make this registry change...as in holding your hand, but
once you find the entry he refers to, simply highlight "Advanced"
in the left pane, then go to >edit>new>DWORD (32-bit) Value
and then enter the quoted text on his instruction page.

deno

Top 08-25-2007 06:55 PM

Re: stopping Vista tray balloon notifications

deno wrote:

> Every time I boot Vista, after disabling some startup programs
> using run>msconfig, I get a tray notification balloon that says
> "Windows has blocked some startup programs, click here to see
> which ones."
>
> Guess they really don't want you running it your way do they? I
> haven't been able to find out how to disable this "feature," by
> any web search. I know there was a registry edit to accomplish
> this in XP...maybe I'll go over to tweakhound.com and see if I can
> find that and see if it works.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> deno

On the boot tab look at the bottom right corner for make this default or
words to that effect.

Top